• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NPA and ALPA move closer to merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What is the status of the contract negotiations? The company does not and will not negotiate. Why? Why should they, there is currently no motivation for them to negotiate since there has been no real pressure from the pilot group to negotiate. The time has come to get a new plan, the current one is not working.

I would like to know from those opposed to merging with ALPA, how does the NPA become effective. Right now SK and KG can get pretty much what they want and give nothing in return. I look to the backlog of grievances that indicate their attitude toward the NPA.

Where do you expect to find this greatness?
Anywhere I can!
It is a combined effort... we don't have the entire country to select our union leadership... In addition, most leaders have paid followers...
Yes, it's a combined effort, but it has to start somewhere and that's where leadership comes in.
In my opinion, the followership is going to have to take more responsibility....
What good does it do to blame the rank-and-file pilots? You can blame whomever you wish if it makes you feel better but the way to effect change is to have the right leader get the rank-and-file moving. Motivation isn't enough; the efforts have to be organized and directed.
What are the options? Hope that the next elected pilot on our seniority list is "the one"?
This is the whole point of my lament: such leadership is lacking. If you truly feel the problem lies with the rank-and-file then perhaps YOU should be the one to lead and inspire them. Sitting here blaming pilots for inaction is simply not effective strategy.

Don't tell pilots they have to do more. Show them!

The NPA can only be effective with a unified pilot group - something that we haven't really ever had. I also think that the NPA has played nice for too long and should have initiated a push for self help. Maybe taken a strike vote so the company knows that we were serious about moving forward. As it is right now, they are too afraid to even take a strike vote - doesn't send a very strong message to management.

I am by no means saying that the NPA has done a good job, I just tend to think it's our own (pilots) fault and not the fault of the union. I don't think going ALPA will change anything.

Anywhere I can!

Does that include yourself?

Yes, it's a combined effort, but it has to start somewhere and that's where leadership comes in.

And what if that leadership doesn't happen? Then what?

What good does it do to blame the rank-and-file pilots? You can blame whomever you wish if it makes you feel better but the way to effect change is to have the right leader get the rank-and-file moving. Motivation isn't enough; the efforts have to be organized and directed.

Have you ever taken CRM? What is right, not who is wrong..

This is the whole point of my lament: such leadership is lacking. If you truly feel the problem lies with the rank-and-file then perhaps YOU should be the one to lead and inspire them. Sitting here blaming pilots for inaction is simply not effective strategy.

Again, I am not blaming anyone... but there seems to a serious problem here....

1. Lack of leadership
2. Membership apathy.

What union members do is treat their union like a commercial service. They pay their money, they want an ROI. Since when was democracy a paid service?

Has this ever worked?

Said another way... can you name three union leaders that had this greatness that you expect?
Don't tell pilots they have to do more. Show them!

Why do you feel as a member you have no responsibility....??

When pilots start taxiing at 2 knots, ie ASA
When pilots do a FLY SAFE campaign, ie ASA

People run the company not mgt. not a union
(any union)..

OK give people credit. If you strike where are you going to work right now? Trust the 169=NO WHERE

How many people would actually strike, because most people here can hardly pay their bills now, and feed the families. A slow down cost the company more. A STRIKE we all lose!!

.Skywest said no thanks..

It's my understanding that the Skywest pilots voted down union representation altogether . . . . that doesn't say anything about ALPA. Same with Jet Blue.

Scarlet,you have yet to articulate a single valid argument for keeping NPA.

Have you lifted ONE limp wrist to do anything to improve the NPA? Have you served on a single committee, or done anything other than run your mouth about ALPA? I'm guessing not. I'm guessing also that you are on Klaus' Pet Advisory Board.

I think it's way past time to invoke Murphy's Rule about arguing with a fool, and consider this conversation closed.

Seeeee Ya. . . . Wouldn't want to beeee ya.

TW

When pilots start taxiing at 2 knots, ie ASA
When pilots do a FLY SAFE campaign, ie ASA

and when its over, the pilots need a bargaining agent.

People run the company not mgt. not a union
(any union)..

wrong.

OK give people credit. If you strike where are you going to work right now? Trust the 169=NO WHERE

How many people would actually strike, because most people here can hardly pay their bills now, and feed the families. A slow down cost the company more. A STRIKE we all lose!!

The NPA doesn't have the money to strike! ALPA does!

A STRIKE we all lose!!
The point of a STRIKE is not to go on strike for 3 months to drive the company into bankruptcy. The point of a STRIKE is to convince the company that we have enough unity to actually walk, and the company realizing the $20-25 million a year in gains we are asking for in the next contract is not unreasonable and would cost less than a strike of any duration due to bad publicity and ceased operations.

I want the company to do well financially (aka SW for 30+ years) so there is more to go after in future contracts. We should want and act professionally to help the company generate the profitability that is being predicted by the analysts for Airtran for 2009. If we actually make the $140 million net profit that is being predicted (which would by far be our largest ever), our negotiating committee would have more leverage than they have had over the last 4 years. The SWAPA president even said on the NPA conference call a couple weeks ago that company profitability has been one of the keys to SWAPA's success over the years.

Sometimes management might need a little prodding. Our management might need a little more than average. The NMB board shifting towards the left over the next couple months as Obama's appointments settle in should give all unions a little more control of the timing of the negotiation process under the RLA.

Last edited:
Come on over Air Tran, you have the right to be just as miserable as the rest of us. You will see first hand how limp this poor excuse for a union is. Come on over to spend your dues money supporting all of the regional carriers that are happy to join since that is where ALPA's focus is and why shouldn't it be as us "legacy guys" (and gals) are now the minority within the union. Yeah come on in the waters fine.

I will vote in house union the first chance I get.

Latest resources

Back