• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

now they finally pay attention.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh. I get it. If you're a legacy guy with a backpack it must be for a 'legitimate' (wink, wink) reason. But if it's a regional youngster they're just unprofessional, because we all know there's no way a regional puke could be carrying a backpack for a 'legitimate' (wink, wink) reason.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth. I've encountered a number of guys that carry backpacks at the legacy level, and they are all NDBs or used to carry their laptop/running clothes...or a combination thereof.

I never said the regional guys carrying backpacks aren't carrying it for legitimate reasons- in fact I've flown with more legacy guys that carry them than I ever saw regional guys carrying them. I always thought the backpack stereotype was a stupid one from the jealous older guys that got stuck at the regional level.

I've flown with all types and not seen any correlation between airmanship and a crisply ironed shirt. In fact some of the worst pilots dressed the image of the airline pilot to a T. Especially the old guys. They thought they knew everything even when they were absolutely wrong and unsafe. Ego couldn't bear to be corrected. Give me an ipod-wearing spiky-haired young guy who actually pays attention and is part of the team. Standing around polishing your cuff-links in the mirror and practicing your Chuck Yeager PA voice doesn't make you a professional.

I agree with you. Realistically, however, we know that very little will change. 10K idiot captains will still slip through the cracks- it happens all the time. Would raising the minimums have prevented this accident. Maybe- or maybe not. In my experience, I think 2500 hrs is not enough.

Just out of curiosity...what would be enough?

Not speaking about 3407 yet but this is why I've lost my sanity. For F#&K sake get rid of the G0damn hairgell and ipods. Quit plastering yourselves on overnights, iron that f*&ing garbage bag looking shirt, take off those ridiculous designer shades and read a f&*king manual from time to time! Above all wipe that MTV nurtured Ed Hardy wearing sense of entitlement of your front bumper and grill before I mop the floors of the lavatory with your test tube rejected a$$. I've had it...

I agree with your general sentiment but please, tell us what are not "designer sunglasses". Do you think all pilots should wear Serengeti's or those stupid Ray Ban Aviators? Besides, who gives a rat's ass about sunglasses? They're normally worn out of sight of the passengers. If you're wearing any sunglasses in the terminal, then you have other issues than your choice in the brand of sunglasses.

I know, there are bigger fish to fry. I am just curious as to why some sunglasses bothers you.

I've flown with all types and not seen any correlation between airmanship and a crisply ironed shirt. In fact some of the worst pilots dressed the image of the airline pilot to a T. Especially the old guys. They thought they knew everything even when they were absolutely wrong and unsafe. Ego couldn't bear to be corrected. Give me an ipod-wearing spiky-haired young guy who actually pays attention and is part of the team. Standing around polishing your cuff-links in the mirror and practicing your Chuck Yeager PA voice doesn't make you a professional.
Exactly!!!!

Bottom line with a lot of flying positions not just the regionals....you pay peanuts, you get a circus!!!!!

Couldn't agree more. Give me a backpack wearer who takes their job seriously instead of a well-dressed trust-fund baby who is absolutely no help in the cockpit. The ipod, designer shade types are generally part of a younger generation. Some can fly- some can't. Say what you want, but the definition of 'professionalism' varies from generation to generation. I want an FO who pulls their weight, and (thankfully) most of them do.

I agree with your general sentiment but please, tell us what are not "designer sunglasses". Do you think all pilots should wear Serengeti's or those stupid Ray Ban Aviators? Besides, who gives a rat's ass about sunglasses? They're normally worn out of sight of the passengers. If you're wearing any sunglasses in the terminal, then you have other issues than your choice in the brand of sunglasses.

I know, there are bigger fish to fry. I am just curious as to why some sunglasses bothers you.

I dont give who makes your sunglasses but take them of your damn head in the terminals.

"Federal investigators hammered Colgan Air executives about the pay of their pilots — in 24-year-old Shaw's case, she made between $16,000 and $20,000 a year, according to testimony — as well as whether they were discouraged from getting second jobs and felt pressure by the company not to call in sick."

Don't worry. All this stuff will be forgotten by next week.

The only thing that may come out of all this testimony will be a "box-checking" stick pusher demo in the sim (Q400 only).

Latest resources

Back