• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Not enough pilots out there?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
http://www.acinet.org/acinet/oview5...=&id=1,&nodeid=7&soccode=&stfips=00&x=43&y=13

check this out one more time out there somebody still have the idea that been a pilot is a great paying career.

If you been in it for some time you might be doing OK
But if you are just getting into it FORGET IT

http://www.jetuniversity.com/ pay $20,000 to fly a jet in 7 months
and make $19,000 a year

The chart you cite as evidence shows Airline pilot Median income at NUMBER 13 OF 799. Every single occupation ranked higher with exception of "Chief Executives" is a highly trained Medical Professional.

Judging by the sentence structure I see in this post, neither you, or I, had much chance at Med School.

The typical 5 year RJ Capt would fall about number 100 on the list your link provides.

Was the profession better at one time? Yes.

But it still ranks pretty high.

People need to know the entire side of things, good, and bad. Letting them know about the negatives, is good. However, just make sure you aren't steering them in any direction. In your original post, you talked about having to peel their, and their teacher's/professor's faces off the ground when telling them about regional, and major pay. When I read that, the first thing I thought, is that you were telling them that you only make $20K, and things won't get better. If I were at a career day, and didn't know aby better about pilot pay, etc., and I were told $20K to start, $30-$40K after first year, $80K as a captain, majors captains make over $100K, etc., I wouldn't have been floored. I would have thought that was a good salary, and normal.

I do tell them what they can expect to make in the future. They are still
floored at starting salaries.

I do tell them what they can expect to make in the future. They are still
floored at starting salaries.
Cool. Well, no problem from me, then. I guess in the typical mind, you would think pilots would start out making more than $20K. But, some do, just depends. There are other options than the airlines. It just sounded like you were telling them about first year regional FO pay, and that was it.

The chart you cite as evidence shows Airline pilot Median income at NUMBER 13 OF 799. Every single occupation ranked higher with exception of "Chief Executives" is a highly trained Medical Professional.

Judging by the sentence structure I see in this post, neither you, or I, had much chance at Med School.

The typical 5 year RJ Capt would fall about number 100 on the list your link provides.

Was the profession better at one time? Yes.

But it still ranks pretty high.
You make an interesting point. Major airline captains are still earning in the top of incomes per career. Basically, only medical professionals, and CEOs have an 'average' higher salary.

As for regional captains ... they too would rank in the top 100. I would put them higher than number 100, however. Depending on the airline, many 5th year RJ captains are making more than $62,000.

A while back, I looked up the average salary for 168 of the most common jobs that people would go into, out of aviation. From medical, business, law, construction, real estate, etc. etc. Only 15 of those 168 jobs had an average salary above $80K, and of those 15, most included various medical professionals, and a few other careers. I would say that is fairly accurate. That would imply roughly, less than 10% earn six figure salaries. Being as though $80,000 is within the top 10% of income earners, that is probably very realistic. In other words, it would be hard to quit your job as a regional captain, and get another job making more, or at least, much more than your RJ CA salary. The one benefit would be being home every night, depending on the job.

For myself. I would rather make $70-$80, and if I spent a career, $90K+ as a RJ CA, than working 60 hours per week, behind a desk, in a cubicle, punching numbers as an accountant, for the same money. I would be miserable.

The problem with the regional airlines, is that people tend to focus on first year pay, alone. I know guys who made $20K their first, year, but now, a few years later, as a captain, they are pulling in $80K. You have to start somewhere.

I agree, you have to start somewhere, but make it a semi-livable wage.The $19-22,000 per year that most average that first year (or even second year) will not stretch very far when you have to pay bills. Even if you are single, live at home and pay a small amount for a crash pad, its a tight squeeze. Throw in having a family, and it is almost impossible unless your spouse makes the $$.

In 1992 a friend of mine was an F/O for a regional, making $15,300 per year and on food stamps. About two years ago I received a call from another buddy who could not make ends meet flying for regional on his first year pay (Approx. $18,000 per year). This guy is single, lived with his mother, had burned through his savings to live in an EWR crash pad and had minimal other financial commitments. When is enough, enough?

In any professional capacity one has to play the waiting game to progress forward. But it is a fallacy to believe we must all "start somewhere" and keep accepting these pathetic, non-livable initial pay scales.

My .02

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back