• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Norwegian Air International Here They Come

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You can argue that there really isn't a shortage...

I didn't argue anything of the sort. I was merely asking if you, as a person in the affected arena, knew whether or not the airlines themselves had admitted as much by saying they couldn't run their business plan due to a lack of pilots...or tacitly (and perhaps inaccurately) denied it by NOT saying so.

Boeing considers this a broad-based issue of serious proportions. I was just curious what you folks in the trenches were seeing to support or dispel the notion.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I didn't argue anything of the sort.
No.....???
Are these airlines availing themselves of every possible source of pilots or are they hampered by a lack of innovative management...government interference ? For example, from the latest ads I've seen, Fuji Dream requires a JCAB license but IBEX doesn't.

"Shortage" gets thrown around quite a bit but seems to lack a consensus definition in most discussions I read. A term with such widespread implications can't have relevance without a definition. A "shortage" of what...ideal candidates...useable candidates ?

What was this if not a hair splitting argument about what a shortage is? Sorry if I misunderstood what you wanted to say. Dumb Pilot is my handle for a reason:D

But to answer your question, I haven't read any statement from Jetstar Japan saying that the reason why they have 4 A/C's parked in front of the hangars for over a month now and they can't get some others delivered to Hong Kong is because as soon as many of their guys got 500 on type and no longer bound by the training bond, they left for other jobs because their T&C'S are substandard and they are not getting applicants. I think their statement was something along the lines of http://www.smh.com.au/business/jetstars-japan-offshoot-forced-to-park-planes-20140107-30ffv.html

What they didn't say was that the JCAB denied their second base because of the amount of cancellations they are experiencing with their current base, but to clarify, my information is from the pilots I know that worked there and not from a press release.

Last edited:
Hope ALPA petitions the FAA to stop it on grounds of lack of oversight...if they never ever land in Ireland...how is the CAA there going to provide proper oversight...

NLH recently hired 120+ US based flight attendants. If they offered to hire US based pilots, it would likely still be cheaper for NLH than hiring European-based pilots since the taxes and vacation requirements are so much higher. The pay for US-based pilots would probably not be good for that type of widebody flying, but no doubt some pilots would opt for it.

Would be interesting to see how ALPO would respond if NLH started soliciting applications from US-based pilots.

I am hearing rumors of US bases for pilots as well. Hopefully they will accept FAA ATPL then.

I am hearing rumors of US bases for pilots as well. Hopefully they will accept FAA ATPL then.

I was told they will accept the FAA ATPL but will have 2 years to convert it to the EASA ATPL. That process is expensive and time consuming.

Latest resources

Back