• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Norwegian Air International Here They Come

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LOL! Nope, the point was about choices not poor interview skills.......! After all, you could say that the reason as to why I'm in Japan IS because I was hired too many times!

Isn't initial training there at Air Japan like 6 months long? After all that, I could see why you wouldn't want to do another initial training. Well, it's not that long at the legacies.....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Recently flew with a Swede who had some details no this operation. He said the FA's are based in Bangkok and paid 300USD/month. That's it! Going to be hard to compete.

Isn't initial training there at Air Japan like 6 months long? After all that, I could see why you wouldn't want to do another initial training. Well, it's not that long at the legacies.....

Bye Bye---General Lee
The legacies don't pay you your entire captain salary from day one (no training pay) and coming from flying 900+ hours/ year in my previous gig, I wished training was another 6 months, after all, they paid me to spend more days off enjoying Tokyo than I was in training. So no, it has nothing to do with that, I actually got a couple of job offers when my first contract was due, but I don't really care about airplane types and I'm not willing to take any reduction neither in pay nor QOL to go somewhere else.

The legacies don't pay you your entire captain salary from day one (no training pay) and coming from flying 900+ hours/ year in my previous gig, I wished training was another 6 months, after all, they paid me to spend more days off enjoying Tokyo than I was in training. So no, it has nothing to do with that, I actually got a couple of job offers when my first contract was due, but I don't really care about airplane types and I'm not willing to take any reduction neither in pay nor QOL to go somewhere else.

If you don't mind the first class commute to MSP from NRT, then I guess it's a good fit for you.

Bye Bye---General Lee

If you don't mind the first class commute to MSP from NRT, then I guess it's a good fit for you.

Bye Bye---General Lee

First class on a 5 star, top 10 world ranking airline? And all while accumulating miles that I use on the month off I take every year? Yeah, that fits me just fine.

Recently flew with a Swede who had some details no this operation. He said the FA's are based in Bangkok and paid 300USD/month. That's it! Going to be hard to compete.

Norwegian evidently just hired 120+ US based flight attendants. No doubt more expensive than the Thai beauties. The question is whether US pilots could be next. Probably cheaper than Scandinavian-based pilots with the higher local taxes, etc.

Lets think, a CEO can hire cheap ass pilots, technically based on a contract in Thailand, and home base them at JFK to fly to the EU.

The perfect outsource solution!

Outsource your training, pilots, and liability all in one shot.

Why would somebody go to Hawaiian instead of Delta, Why don't I leave this contract in Japan and go to China? After all I could earn 5K more a month right? So can somebody that goes to DAL rather than HA...! We are all different and want different things in life, your job choices are no different. The fact remains that demand in one area puts strain on the entire market, that's the point I wanted to make.

I can answer that, because at Hawaiian you have a better schedule, make about the same and are based in HNL! :)
As you said though different strokes for different folks. For those of us that want to live in Hawaii there is no better job. But if you don't want to live here, it's not always a good fit.

General, you debate with the SWA folks that getting to see the world with Delta is a plus, I agree. But then you debate with the expat pilots that living and flying overseas sucks?!!!! I love my gig at Hawaiian, I certainly think DAL is a good job, but I also think making a career out of flying overseas, like DumbPilot has is pretty cool. When he gets to retirement age he is going to have us both beat with interesting career stories. You enjoy flying overseas because you get to see more of the world I presume. Couldn't agree more, but flying and living overseas is even more interesting and hat's off to the folks that do that.

After all I could earn 5K more a month right? So can somebody that goes to DAL rather than HA...! .

And just for the record, Our last contract passed or equaled Delta, (depending on the airplane) on hourly pay (thanks to them previously setting the bar for us to aim to). I think we still have them beat with our retirement, if not it's very close. Their latest contract went ahead of ours but ours is coming up and obviously that's what we are shooting for (thank you Delta!). And of course Hawaiian has much better schedules due to the nature of out trips. Either inter-island or Trans Pac flying is one leg out and one leg home.

Its a matter of time before Norwegian hires US FAA pilots, while giving them a 2 year waiver to convert their licenses to EASA. Turkish is doing this, as well as NGA.

Latest resources

Back