• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Norwegian Air International Here They Come

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My apologies Dan Roman, I just wanted to make a point about choices, not better or worse just choices, but I think it came across the wrong way and for that I'm sorry.

I can answer that, because at Hawaiian you have a better schedule, make about the same and are based in HNL! :)
As you said though different strokes for different folks. For those of us that want to live in Hawaii there is no better job. But if you don't want to live here, it's not always a good fit.

General, you debate with the SWA folks that getting to see the world with Delta is a plus, I agree. But then you debate with the expat pilots that living and flying overseas sucks?!!!! I love my gig at Hawaiian, I certainly think DAL is a good job, but I also think making a career out of flying overseas, like DumbPilot has is pretty cool. When he gets to retirement age he is going to have us both beat with interesting career stories. You enjoy flying overseas because you get to see more of the world I presume. Couldn't agree more, but flying and living overseas is even more interesting and hat's off to the folks that do that.

Dan,

I think the Expat gig could be cool, in the right places. The ME seems like a "not very nice place" because of the attitudes of the locals, and reading PPRUNE complaints really hit that home. I did 8 or 9 long Asia trips when ATL used to get them, and I really liked Japan, so I can see why Dumb pilot would, it's just I wouldn't want to be gone 20 days a month in a row. Some guys can do that, and the pay is probably good. I guess it would have to be a mix of time off, nice location, pay, and interesting flying. Maybe that means Hawaiian Airlines is the best??? I still like the total variety at mine, but for me Hawaiian would be a close second, and you never know, someday maybe it will be a closer relationship....

Bye Bye---General Lee

First class on a 5 star, top 10 world ranking airline? And all while accumulating miles that I use on the month off I take every year? Yeah, that fits me just fine.

Maybe quality of the FAs, but certainly not the pilot experience, there CA Sum Ting Wong. :D

I guess it would have to be a mix of time off, nice location, pay, and interesting flying

There are many reasons, 14 days off a month and the ability to bid for the days you want every month regardless of your longevity, I've been home every birthday, every Christmas, every date that has been important I've been home since year one on a positive space business class seat while accumulating miles on their rewards program, check in on the ANA suite in Narita with dedicated lines for security and rest at the lounge having a cocktail while the concierge will come and get you after they call for boarding....! I had a family emergency (an operation my wife had to undergo) she called the company and they called me on the SAT phone while I was enroute to Narita, I was on a business class seat ( paid by the company) as soon as I landed on my way home to tend to the situation. I take a month off every year with the way our bid system works and I travel with my family on positive space using my status not caring about the loads, not having to jumpseat...! that alone is a good reason not to seek a job back home because let's face it, that can be a denigrating experience depending on who you get at the gate, I know this will sound strange specially commuting 6,000 miles but my commute is actually a pleasurable experience and I look forward to what the chefs will come up with every time the menu changes, desserts by Pierre Herme, drink selections of a winner of a 5 star rating "cellars in the sky" cognac and bread sticks? If your traveling in coach...! this contract is unique in the sense that we fly with other expats 95% of the time and that is for both seats and I fly about 35-50 hours per month on average, MEL's & CDL's come up twice per year, I've done a cross bleed start once since I've been here, I've never called operations to ask where is the fuel truck, nor catering, nor cleaners, I've never had to wait for marchelers nor I've had to wait more than 10 minutes for hotel transportation ( and that only happens two or three times per year, most of the time they are there waiting for us) I've never had to impose my authority over a dispatcher for more fuel or a different route, let's be honest here, "joint responsibility" has been interpreted by many dispatchers back home as if they are in charge and captain authority is challenged often, even if you only encounter a situation once or twice a year that is way too many, I ask for what I want and there is an army of white helmets and white gloves that get it done, no if's or but's, just about the nicest group of cabin attendants, mechanics and gate agents that you will ever come across, I don't pay for medicals, uniforms, dry cleaning of the uniforms, train fare to and from work, taxi if required, If I want to make a reservation in a hotel in Hokkaido to go skiing on my blank days while on my work roster or a dentist appointment or I want to go see the formula one race when the circuit comes to Japan, or get tickets to the Tokyo auto show, here I email the company...! I know a lot of this things are just little details but it doesn't work for me only because of the right combination of pay and days off, it works for me because they have me spoiled rotten.......! LOL!

There are many reasons, 14 days off a month and the ability to bid for the days you want every month regardless of your longevity, I've been home every birthday, every Christmas, every date that has been important I've been home since year one on a positive space business class seat while accumulating miles on their rewards program, check in on the ANA suite in Narita with dedicated lines for security and rest at the lounge having a cocktail while the concierge will come and get you after they call for boarding....! I had a family emergency (an operation my wife had to undergo) she called the company and they called me on the SAT phone while I was enroute to Narita, I was on a business class seat ( paid by the company) as soon as I landed on my way home to tend to the situation. I take a month off every year with the way our bid system works and I travel with my family on positive space using my status not caring about the loads, not having to jumpseat...! that alone is a good reason not to seek a job back home because let's face it, that can be a denigrating experience depending on who you get at the gate, I know this will sound strange specially commuting 6,000 miles but my commute is actually a pleasurable experience and I look forward to what the chefs will come up with every time the menu changes, desserts by Pierre Herme, drink selections of a winner of a 5 star rating "cellars in the sky" cognac and bread sticks? If your traveling in coach...! this contract is unique in the sense that we fly with other expats 95% of the time and that is for both seats and I fly about 35-50 hours per month on average, MEL's & CDL's come up twice per year, I've done a cross bleed start once since I've been here, I've never called operations to ask where is the fuel truck, nor catering, nor cleaners, I've never had to wait for marchelers nor I've had to wait more than 10 minutes for hotel transportation ( and that only happens two or three times per year, most of the time they are there waiting for us) I've never had to impose my authority over a dispatcher for more fuel or a different route, let's be honest here, "joint responsibility" has been interpreted by many dispatchers back home as if they are in charge and captain authority is challenged often, even if you only encounter a situation once or twice a year that is way too many, I ask for what I want and there is an army of white helmets and white gloves that get it done, no if's or but's, just about the nicest group of cabin attendants, mechanics and gate agents that you will ever come across, I don't pay for medicals, uniforms, dry cleaning of the uniforms, train fare to and from work, taxi if required, If I want to make a reservation in a hotel in Hokkaido to go skiing on my blank days while on my work roster or a dentist appointment or I want to go see the formula one race when the circuit comes to Japan, or get tickets to the Tokyo auto show, here I email the company...! I know a lot of this things are just little details but it doesn't work for me only because of the right combination of pay and days off, it works for me because they have me spoiled rotten.......! LOL!

Sounds like you should NEVER leave. Seriously. Sounds like you are happy, and that's good. Now if it weren't for those darn night freighter trips through Okinawa, it would be perfect... ;)

Bye Bye---General Lee

Trying to go down the same path the cruise lines did.

Ship is registered in Iberia and crewed with the cheapest labor they can find.....anywhere in the world.

I think you meant Liberia. What's up with SWA pilots and geography ? :D

If you look in other markets for example, Jestar Japan, Peach, Vanilla Air all have A/C's parked because of lack of crews, they are desperately trying not to have to up the contract but it's just not going to work, if they don't up the pay they will have a lot of trouble.

[Disclaimer: I'm certifiably unqualified to make declarative statements on foreign pilot supply issues but am an interested observer and follow it as best I can...and occasionally ask a question]

DP,

Have the airlines you mentioned in the quote above (or any others you're aware of outside the USA) made public statements that they're parking airplanes solely due to lack of crews or is this insider info known to local pilots but not publicly verified by the companies themselves ? Anecdotal info isn't automatically wrong; it's anecdotal and may or may not reflect broader circumstances.

Are these airlines availing themselves of every possible source of pilots or are they hampered by a lack of innovative management...government interference ? For example, from the latest ads I've seen, Fuji Dream requires a JCAB license but IBEX doesn't.

"Shortage" gets thrown around quite a bit but seems to lack a consensus definition in most discussions I read. A term with such widespread implications can't have relevance without a definition. A "shortage" of what...ideal candidates...useable candidates ?

I'd ask if having companies publicly acknowledge their inability to carry out a desired business plan due to an admitted lack of pilots isn't the iron-clad definition. After all, airlines are a business with pilots just being a major component of the business.

Sure is interesting to follow. And you sure seem to have a great gig. In some ways, it sounds better than my 30+ legacy years.

Last edited:
"Shortage" gets thrown around quite a bit but seems to lack a consensus definition in most discussions I read. A term with such widespread implications can't have relevance without a definition. A "shortage" of what...ideal candidates...useable candidates ?.

You can argue that there really isn't a shortage because we have plenty of applicants and they don't? Sure....! Is it relevant that the term is misused then as a result? At the end of the day it really doesn't matter, the fact remains that all jobs used to have plenty of applicants, the ones with good and bad T&C'S, and now the suitable applicants have dried out for many of this gigs and it is logical that the ones with lesser conditions would be the ones to see a reduction on their applications first in my view, or it can't be called a shortage unless there aren't any applicants anywhere? Semantics really...!

Latest resources

Back