Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Northwest to declare Chapter 11 in 3, 2, 1. . .

• Thread starter Towelie
  • Start date
  • Watchers 17

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
drag said:
What makes a E170 such a great machine??

The power, comfort, automation, the "new car smell", the thought that this very machine has the power to park so many ineffecient 737's in the desert!

E170Guppykiller said:
The power, comfort, automation, the "new car smell", the thought that this very machine has the power to park so many ineffecient 737's in the desert!

Oh, nevermind. It is not worthy of a reply.

E170Guppykiller said:

It's not the machine that is parking 73's, it is the pilot's willing to fly them for nothing.

E170Guppykiller said:
If they vote for them and jet E-170's, I know they will love flying them. It's a great machine!
How would you know, the Capt will not let you touch the controls!
Guppiegoogargler you haven't flown the A/C except on Microsoft flight sim.
Toolbox!
PBR

Dodge said:
Oh, relax everyone. Just funnin a little this morning. Just wanted to get those mainliners cranked up a little.

Now seriously, I believe all the 1000+ future and current furloughs should go to the top of XJ's seniority list. It would definately be in ALPA's best interest at this time.

Thats interesting since we don't currently have 1000 pilots on our seniority list. Bummer for those bottom 100+ that get to be furloughed from both NW and XJ at the same time.

What IF?

XJ has a 2nd certificate, what can you do with it? I thought it was fairly well restricted to secure XJ's pilots jobs.

9E has a 2nd certificate with no restrictions

NWA is going to file chapt 7, so they cannot finance any new a/c.

9E has had the financing for new a/c for about 12 months now, what does XJ have for financing new aircraft?

Growth, well that is hard to say, we switch routes between each other monthly. Just look at your schedules, one month is it NWA, then XJ, then 9E. No one really owns any specific routes other than those only the Saab can go to. I never saw an Avro in MKE until a week ago, does that mean 9E lost that flying? or did NWA lose it? 9E was doing TOL that was once Saab flying, does that mean xj "lost it" to 9E or was it just the seasonal thing that NWA has done for many years?

Staffing is an issue, but why if no more jets are we still hiring? Pinch-a-nickle does not sacrafice profits for reserves sitting doing nothing when they have a great JM and Extension policy they have been using for the last 6 months.

Point is... we are all going to get screwed one way or the other, why pick sides now? NWA has a master plan and I seriously doubt the pilots have a clue what it really is. The NEWCO is someone's futures or all of our future depending on how things play out with bankruptcy. Take a look at USAir (and their regionals) and United and their regionals before and after Chapt 7.

Some are no longer standing, some have grown, some have changed names, regardless, many got screwed at the majors level and the regionals level. NWA is going to do the exact same thing to the 3 of us in the NWA family.

As far as rumors go, we got our own too.. More jets on the way, 70 seaters and part of a joint family for NEWCO. Not too much different from Xj's rumors..Maybe it is the same person starting them for both companies!

There is no gain, only loss for XJ, in routes over the last 5 years. We have shrunk our fleet by 15+ aircraft. We have over 100 pilot less than we did in 2001. We may get assigned to new cities, but as far as overall growth is concerned, that is all on Pinnacle's shoulders. When 620XJ gets in the air with pax, I would then say that XJ has had some growth.

dondk said:
XJ has a 2nd certificate, what can you do with it? I thought it was fairly well restricted to secure XJ's pilots jobs.
It is VERY restricted (thank God). Definately one of the things we did well in our contract negotiations.

dondk said:
And that will be used against you in your negotiations to no end. See, your contract goals are too expensive for 9E to effectively compete for new aircraft so we are going to use this second certificate to find other flying outside of NWA. But wait! 9E pilots wont staff that. We'll impose some horrid contract on this new certificate and find other pilots to do it. Oh yeah, we'll use the profit 9E has made to finance this new company you won't be a part of.

dondk said:
9E has had the financing for new a/c for about 12 months now, what does XJ have for financing new aircraft?
MAIR Holdings has between 100 and 120 million cash reserves.

The whole gist of it is, that 9E nor XJ can do anything without NWA. I am sure your CEO is telling you that you have options to do flying here and there. I remember our CEO telling us that we were going to do cargo flying, that we were looking into other carriers...right before he was "fired" into President of our Holding Company and made twice as mush in salary.

Come to think of it, by thinking like he has been, your CEO might be making the best move of his career!

~Red Tail, Red Headed Step-Children Unite!~

dondk said:

You are talking about Big Sky. This has nothing to do with Big Sky in any way.

I heard you were working on one. Do you have it now? What does NWA think about that?

NWA is going to file chapt 7, so they cannot finance any new a/c.

Wrong. They are going to file Chapter 11 (re-org) not 7 (liquidate). Also, they can finance new aircraft if they are cheaper to obtain and operate than the Dinosaur-9's. Being in Chapter 11 doesn't mean you can't obtain and finance new aircraft. It is all about how you organize to get out of bankruptcy. That might be just what they need to return to profitability. Well, that and the price of oil falling back down...

Kmox said it. $100 million plus in the bank. Plus, if they are flown for NWA neither XJ nor 9E will own their own planes. NWA doesn't play that way.

Staffing is an issue, but why if no more jets are we still hiring? Pinch-a-nickle does not sacrafice profits for reserves sitting doing nothing when they have a great JM and Extension policy they have been using for the last 6 months.

Because you have to cancel flights and give them to XJ... that's why you are hiring. 9E isn't "ramping up" for anything, they are trying to CYA with the flying they have.

There are a lot more reasons for XJ to get 70 seaters than 9E. Most likely, they would replace the Avros which means no growth, just shiny new planes. (SJS, anyone?) Let's face it: NWA is not happy with 9E right now. Anyone in the know can tell you that. I'm not hating on 9E, just telling it like it is. The odds of 9E getting new planes while in pilot contract talks are slim to none. Awarding growth before a new deal gives all the power to the pilots, and 9E and NWA won't allow that to happen.

This could all be a giant smoke screen (which it very well may be), however the new XJ VP of flight ops is telling all the pilots 70 and/or 90 seaters will be on the property within a year. Obviously the boys at NWA have the say.

I think it is obvious of the game NWA is playing. I do agree we are all pawns in it as well.

Latest resources

Back