Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Non-IFR..When is final approach determined?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
May I ask why you need something more concrete? I'm not sure if it exists.

Sure, I was calling on all the smarts:nuts: that are on this board to see if someone could summon up an NTSB, FAA, or what-have-you that would give the final approach segement defined boundries. This is on the lines of, an uncontrolled airport without any FAF or inst. approach.

zugzug said:
Sure, I was calling on all the smarts:nuts: that are on this board to see if someone could summon up an NTSB, FAA, or what-have-you that would give the final approach segement defined boundries. This is on the lines of, an uncontrolled airport without any FAF or inst. approach.

Oh. sorry, I thought you said Smart-a$$, and my ears perked right up :laugh:

Anyway, I've researched the issue before, and there is no definitive official answer. The issue came up in the context of: at what point does a right turn onto final become not a right hand pattern, but a straight in final. Like I said there is no definitive answer, but there was an case beforethe NTSB in which allegedly (according to John Yodice, AOPA's legal editor) the ALJ suggested the a turn to final 5-6 miles form the end of the runway would have been considered a "straight in" and not a right pattern. the airplane in question made a right turn onto final at 4 miles and that was found to be an illegal right pattern instead of a legal straight in approach.

I don't have the actual text of that NTSB decision but John Yodices words on the that issue may be seen in the Pilot Counsel column of the December 1995 AOPA pilot.

I don't know if any of that helps, but you may be looking for something which doesn't exist. Can you give us a little more information about why you are asking? that might help get a better answer ... I know there's a story behind this somewhere ..........

Last edited:
The AIM only says to turn final not LESS than 1/4 mi from the end of the runway. I've never seen anything that says how far out that is. Just my opinion, but I'd say three criteria should be met:
1. Lined up on extended centerline
2. Descending (otherwise, it's called cruise flight)
3. Configured for landing (otherwise it's called descent)

What we usually do is call 10 miles out inbound for landing, and if we could do a straigh approach. Then 5 miles out we call again, to let atc have a heads up on our location

so usually around the 5 miles mark, we line up for the approach

Dc8

Thank you for the good read!

Asquared.. Ok here's the story... I was @ 1500ft inverted and...... no no no that's another story. There is no story. I was asking because I could not find it anywhere. I looked and I couldn't find any hint as to what the definition for final appraoch to an uncontrolled airport was. I thank all of the few who tried. By the way, does anyone know what zugzug means?

BTW, not to hurt anyones feelings, The this is how we do it thing is not what I was looking for. I know how it's done, I just don't know the definition of it.

zugzug said:
BTW, not to hurt anyones feelings, The this is how we do it thing is not what I was looking for. I know how it's done, I just don't know the definition of it.
If you're hung up on definitions, why did you use the term "uncontrolled" airport.

Latest resources

Back