Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Non-IFR..When is final approach determined?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
zugzug said:
All of these can be established many many miles from the A/P. So, if your on a 10 mile final... You are right of way to all others?

You can be on glide path 10 miles out, but you will not be below pattern altitude.

zugzug said:
By the way, does anyone know what zugzug means?
It's an ancient tribal ritual during which natives sodomize captured missionaries. Also known as bungawa, depending on who's telling the joke.

A Squared said:
It's an ancient tribal ritual during which natives sodomize captured missionaries. Also known as bungawa, depending on who's telling the joke.

I know that joke...

"...DEATH BY ZUGZUG!!!" haha

A Squared said:
I thought it was "death by boogalooga"??

Bob

You can be on glide path 10 miles out, but you will not be below pattern altitude.

Ummkay, so how many miles from the runway do the glidepath and pattern alt. intersect? BTW... I recall saying "NO ILS".

zugzug said:

Ummkay, so how many miles from the runway do the glidepath and pattern alt. intersect? BTW... I recall saying "NO ILS".

Many VFR-only runways have a VASI. If they don't, you could probably use some pilot math and calculate your own 3 degree glide slope.

As for how far out the glideslope intersects pattern altitude, use the trig you learned in high school. Let me help: one angle of the triangle is 3 degrees, and the leg opposite the known angle is 1000 feet. I'm sure there's a math formula to figure the leg adjacent the known angel. I could tell you, but you wouldn't learn anything.

I'm feeling a hint of smartass in your reply

Well, you never answered the question with anything but whimsical advice. I guess you can't answer it.

Ahhh screw it! As I said before, I was looking for something concrete. Nobody had it so

Die thread DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest resources

Back