Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Non-IFR..When is final approach determined?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
zugzug said:
If you're on a straight in to a runway, at what distance or position are you actually on final approach? No FAF either. Just a VFR airport
I had this same argument with an Elmer Fudd on the ramp over at a small airport north of MSN. I called his bluff when I said go get the Feds. There is no reg on flying a straight in final.

zugzug said:
Did he call your bluff when the fed wouldn't comment?
What fed? It was a non-towered field.

I called his bluff when I said go get the Feds.

Facetious. If a Fed had showed... The Fed wouldn't have told you boo.

zugzug said:
If you're on a straight in to a runway, at what distance or position are you actually on final approach? No FAF either. Just a VFR airport.:confused:

I try to turn final at no more than a distance at which a power off touchdown can be made from TPA. I know this will very with different aircraft but I also know that an engine failure is most apt to occur when reducing power, or closing the throttle. I just have a thing about not reducing power until I know I can make a runway. This comes from knowing the equipment you fly. In most of what I fly, the point I see over the nose from 1000agl is where my wheels will touch the ground if I close the throttle.
So, my answer to your question is answer it yourself next time you're in the pattern.
Have fun but learn something when doing it.

How about:

1. Aligned with runway centerline
2. At a controlled descent (on established glidepath: VASI, ILS, calculated 3-degree--take your pick)
3. In landing configuration
4. At an altitude less than or equal to pattern altitude

Last edited:
Sniper Bob said:
How about:

1. Aligned with runway centerline
2. At a controlled descent (on established glidepath: VASI, ILS, calculated 3-degree--take your pick)
3. In landing configuration
4. At an altitude less than or equal to pattern altitude

All of these can be established many many miles from the A/P. So, if your on a 10 mile final... You are right of way to all others?

Latest resources

Back