No PIC turbine for SWA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
cactus said:
That's why they crash airplanes and kill a couple of hundred people every few years.

P.S. To answer your original question: No Southwest won't hire you with 0 PIC turbine. Why should they.

That's just uncool.

Jackass.

ThisistheDream said:
what is qualified?? Why is a 10yr. experienced pilot from Usair who is furloughed with 10,000 TT with 4500 hours in the 737 as an FO not qualified to apply at SWA who does not have 1000 PIC Turbine but has plenty of PIC time Total. I think SWA would hire the same quality of pilot from there interview process and recommendations whether they had 1000 PIC turbine or not. getting 1000 PIC turbine doesnt all of a sudden make you a Super pilot. I think its more of a way for SWA to get a lower rate for crew insurance?? at least this is from i have heard.

i think they are qualified but YOU COULD argue that having time in the left seat builds a way of thinking toward leadership decisions that then carries over to when you move back to the right seat. in effect you still think like a captain as a first officer. while many guys can learn and develop this attitude without actually practicing it from the left seat, some can't and need that experience of being the final line in the sand. SWA and MOST OTHER MAJORS like to know that all their pilots have had this opportunity to be PIC of a turbine aircraft because i think they believe it changes you for the better as a pilot forever.

Well the funny thing is that America West does NOT have a pic turbine requirement....Pot calling the kettle black

cactus said:
That's why they crash airplanes and kill a couple of hundred people every few years.
QUOTE]

Just piling on to what a jackass Cactus is.

If SWA only considered 121 Turbine PIC, then you could at least make a rational argument for the requirement.

But if it is true that they will consider 1000 PIC in a Caravan, but will not consider a furloughed USAir Pilot with thousands of hours in the 737, you have what might be called an IDITIOC REQUIREMENT.

And one that is highly insulting to those high-time USAir furloughees.

canyonblue737 said:
i think they are qualified but YOU COULD argue that having time in the left seat builds a way of thinking toward leadership decisions that then carries over to when you move back to the right seat. in effect you still think like a captain as a first officer. while many guys can learn and develop this attitude without actually practicing it from the left seat, some can't and need that experience of being the final line in the sand. SWA and MOST OTHER MAJORS like to know that all their pilots have had this opportunity to be PIC of a turbine aircraft because i think they believe it changes you for the better as a pilot forever.

Even 1000 PIC in a Caravan? I think that if they want the requirement to hold water, you would need to say that Single engine turboprop PIC, and Maybe even part 91 turbine PIC does not count.

I think a high-time 737 FO would be able to kick the freakin' a$$ off of a lower-time Caravan "captain", so-called PIC time notwithstanding.

And yet, I personally know pilots at almost all of the majors who did not have any PIC turbine.

The requirement is what it is, but it is hard to argue that it is not arbitrary.

Airtran's requirement is a LOT more logical - 500 121 PIC.

Now 500 121 PIC proves a whole lot more about your ability to perform as a 121 pilot.

Last edited:
100LL... Again! said:
But if it is true that they will consider 1000 PIC in a Caravan, but will not consider a furloughed USAir Pilot with thousands of hours in the 737, you have what might be called an IDITIOC REQUIREMENT.

Gotta hate those iditioc requirements... :)

Yeah 100LL, my time shouldn't count, it's only thousands of hours flying all over the world in Gulfstreams and Hawkers, all as a Part 91 PIC. So please enlighten me as to how "500 hours as 121 PIC proves a whole lot more about your ability to perform as a 121 pilot". Funny, just starting my first line next week at Fedex, which last time I checked, was a 121 carrier.

Here's a tip, go to Jack Brown's seaplane base in FL and get yourself a seaplane rating, so that you can land in the river you're crying.

Latest resources

Back