• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No more Skywest flying for Midwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This whole thing is a zero-sum shell game. Skywest comes in and Skyway goes away. Republic comes in and Midwest flying is lost. Republic adds more planes and Skywest goes away. At least Skywest was smart enough not to provide financing to Midwest like Republic is doing. Everybody who lends money to Midwest gets screwed sooner or later, this has been going on for years.

Bold (possibly stupid) move. I think Republic's profit last quarter was all of 1 million. Not to mention, SWA is going into MKE, AirTran is trying to take over MKE...is another "branded" rj operation in a city 60 miles north of Chicago a good idea?

Only time will tell. I'm honestly relieved that SkyW got out of this. This was a long time coming, and a "money pit" for the last 18 months.

I'm with you. I'm not exactly heartbroken over this.

I'm telling you, get ready.

"Thank you for flying AirTran Express, operated by..............."

Ahh the suspense.

W

I'm telling you, get ready.

"Thank you for flying AirTran Express, operated by..............."

Ahh the suspense.

W
I believe it was AirTran "JetConnect"...but that's my theory, too. If it happens, I called it a year ago.

If the message on SWOL would have just said "We anticipate that we will place the aircraft", I wouldn't think anything of it...but it actually said "We anticipate that we will place the aircraft and will retain the majority of our maintenance". That tells me SKW is looking to maintain presence in MKE.

My old cohorts from my days at Citrus have told me that AirTran wants to be at 75-90 flights at day at MKE by the end of the year. My question is, "with what airplanes?". Didn't they delay a bunch of Boeing deliveries and sell off a 73G or two? They would almost have to resurrect "JetConnect" to create an operation of that size in that timeframe. Who better to do it that an operator that already has crews, airplanes, and maintenance available in MKE?

Last edited:
Interesting,... a slow backdoor takeover by "Citrus." They couldn't get it done the normal way so they use another airline to slowly move in.

Interesting,... a slow backdoor takeover by "Citrus." They couldn't get it done the normal way so they use another airline to slowly move in.

Interesting and stupid. Air Tran would add these crappy airplanes simply to hit a quota? Do they want to eliminate all the gains they have made in MKE?

I'm wondering how SWA fits into the equation? Airtran tried hard to get ATA in MDW and was squashed. I wonder if we will see a rematch in MKE or will it just be another IND.??????

Latest resources

Back