No Mins at Pinnacle or Eagle?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

This is exactly what I've been talking about for the past couple of years. There IS a pilot shortage, of new start-up pilots to fill the bottom rungs in the industry.

I don't understand, at all, how Mgmt at Mesaba/Pinnacle/Comair/ASA, etc. think pay cuts for the pilots are a good idea. Where are they going to find new hires at these wages? I guess they can wait until the last minute, and then unilaterally raise wages, but by that time they'll be behind the power curve, and it'll take 3-5 years to straighten it out.

They've already lowered mins to the lowest possible level. The only thing left is to improve the job: More pay and/or more days off and/or better working conditions.

It'll be really, really interesting to see what happens in the next 5 years.

Will new hires be off the street captains at $110K/year like the Indian airlines are now paying???

cliff
MCI

PS-My airline mgmt also doesn't realize what's about to happen when they lose a ton of guys to the majors and have to replace them, either.

Hi!

This is exactly what I've been talking about for the past couple of years. There IS a pilot shortage, of new start-up pilots to fill the bottom rungs in the industry.

I don't understand, at all, how Mgmt at Mesaba/Pinnacle/Comair/ASA, etc. think pay cuts for the pilots are a good idea. Where are they going to find new hires at these wages? I guess they can wait until the last minute, and then unilaterally raise wages, but by that time they'll be behind the power curve, and it'll take 3-5 years to straighten it out.

They've already lowered mins to the lowest possible level. The only thing left is to improve the job: More pay and/or more days off and/or better working conditions.

Will new hires be off the street captains at $110K/year like the Indian airlines are now paying???

cliff
MCI

PS-My airline mgmt also doesn't realize what's about to happen when they lose a ton of guys to the majors and have to replace them, either.

I've often thought about flying for the airlines. In fact, that was what I wanted to do when I started flying. The problem is that I make more money with better qol at my 135 job than I would for awhile at a regional. Maybe if they reach the bottom of the barrel and decide to start increasing pay and qol, I could be swayed. I think there are lots of us like this. Also, they'll really get hurt if they don't do something and then start losing lots of pilots to the majors as they start to run the hiring machine in the next couple of years.

Hi!

cliff
MCI

This is more like it.

This is why I asked the original question. Why do they have no mins? Because nobody wants to work for these wages except the 250hr commercial pilot. I agree this is the start of something either good or bad. If wages came up they would attract more qualified pilots. If the 200+hr guys work out we will continue to see further wage cuts and wage stagnation.

Don't worry. Hiring mins haven't gotten as low as then can get yet. Next step is for airlines to hire 0 time non-pilots and train them ab initio.

Next step is for airlines to hire 0 time non-pilots and train them ab initio.

As you may already know, that scenario happens in other countries around the world. Unfortunately, it's not much of a stretch to imagine it happening here.

Don't worry. Hiring mins haven't gotten as low as then can get yet. Next step is for airlines to hire 0 time non-pilots and train them ab initio.

That would be great wouldn't it??? Can I get PIC and dual given at the same time??

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back