• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No Military for CAL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am sure it is just someone who messed up and another who did not get the job and are blaming it on that.
No, SWA just fired a Reservist. I won't go into details, but I'm sure you will hear more about it in the near future. It is beginning to get some high level attention.

What is the rumor about SWA and reserves? I am sure it is just someone who messed up and another who did not get the job and are blaming it on that. I just interviewed. Just curious what the deal is?
A couple of guys in my unit are at SWA and apparently get a lot of flack when they spend too much time at the Guard. It sounds like it is a real pain for them to get their time in. Given the great company SWA is, I was real surprised to hear that.

A buddy of mine just interviewed and the mil leave issue came up. He was not hired.

Your buddy should contact the ESGR. Asking about military status is considered an "Illegal question" (like marital status and national origin) that can't be brought up at an interview (in violation of 38 U.S.C. 4311(a)). Each of these incidents need to be brought to the attention of the ESGR. They may be able to do something for him, or at least contact CAL to keep those kind of questions from being asked in the future.

Now if your buddy brought up mil leave on his own (without being asked), then the subject is fair game.

Z

We talked about the mil leave thing not being a legal question. He hasn't mentioned talking to ESGR about it, maybe he should.

Just interviewed on 17 Oct and got hired on 18 Oct with CAL. Got asked some ?'s about mil stuff but never felt discriminated upon. My opinion.. It's BS. It is a fine line and it is very hard handle, but we all signed the line to serve and know we may have to deal with this. Having seen some dudes at my base totally abuse Mil leave, I think us mil guys need to take a stand and be more dependable and not abuse our right to serve so we can get holidays off etc. Good Luck.

I agree 100% Foties. I have seen some guys abuse mil leave, but in the long run it just hurts all of us. Sure they have to let you go, but if it gets bad enough we will start being looked at as undependable. Taking mil leave for a month just because you don't like your assigned schedule is not cool and just screws your fellow pilots.

The only time I've seen people questioned about military is when they "abuse" it.

For example, dropping for mil leave over Christmas on December 22nd, junk like that. I put my orders in early and have had no problems.

I was asked about my military service and if I was going to continue my carreer in the reserves. They basically wanted to hear that CAL was numero uno priority. Unfortunatley some people have abused the military. I will say that the "probationary officer" in EWR is very aware of all military leave that is taken to the point that he has asked some if that Mil leave is necessary. He told me that he also adds up every day of military leave you take (inc. drills) and adds that to your probationary time. I have not abused the policy, doing my 1 drill a month and 2 weeks (actually 17 days) for the year and have always submitted by the 9th of the month prior to the duty and have had no issues. There are 12 CAL guys in my reserve unit and they have felt some pressure regarding using military leave. Three of them have recieved letters from CAL extending their probationary period.

Last edited:
That is in violation of the law and the union needs to be notified. PM me for our ALPA mil rep if you don't know him. Don't let them get away with that.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back