No MDA pilots take Republic deal..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Popeye0537 said:
These guys were offered employment by CHQ in the last J4J deal and they snubbed their noses at us. Now I'm supposed to support those pilots who told me to go fuc@ myself and took the job with MDA because a job at CHQ was beneath them??

Pretty bold statement. I'm sure thats exactly what happened, as opposed to people making the decision they felt was best for them, their families, and their situation, based on the information available at the time.

I'm a little torn myself about the whole deal. As a current CHQ, former ALG, and almost MDA pilot, I probably have a little more emotional baggage than your typical CHQ guy. Am I excited about the opportunity afforded by the transfer of the airplanes? As a CHQ pilot, you bet I am. Am I happy about it? As a former ALG pilot who was less than 2 weeks away from taking the flow-through along with a number of former coworkers, I'm not so sure. ALG blood runs thick (the few of you who know me will understand that statement).

I too spent a little time at ALG and I'll tell you one thing. ALG hates CHQ guys, plain and simple. I flew with some of the most arrogant a$$holes you could imagine. I still have friends there, but I dont feel bad for them. I offered or even got some of them interviews with CHQ and some said they would never come here and 2 didnt even show up for the interview when they got one. WTF? I just don't feel bad anymore. The people I offered to get out could be captains right now at CHQ But ALG is just sooooooooooo much better

kngarthur said:
The reason CHQ wants them to sign the contract is because they'll get a free 170 type rating, quit, and then go to JetBlue!

Most already have the 170 type and a majority also have the Airbus type.

What if MDA pay rates/QOL are established at REP? (Not good but better than REP)
Would CHQ pilots want to keep their old rates?

Looks like the MDA group is fighting to stay at USAirways mainline. They dont want to be a part of the REP/CHQ senority list.
Planes and jobs stay at USAirways E-170 Division.

What is interesting is how the majority of people on this board complains about its a race to the bottom etc., but then when one group say enough is enough and puts their money where their mouth is and draws a line in the sand, another group complains about where are our "shiney new jets".

We all know who on this board whould cross the line in the sand if they were at MDA and they had some carrots dangling in their face.

Finally a pilot group top to bottom including the Chief Pilot have figured out those aren't carrots!

low-key said:
I too spent a little time at ALG and I'll tell you one thing. ALG hates CHQ guys, plain and simple. I flew with some of the most arrogant a$$holes you could imagine.

Exactly....after all the slow taxis ahead of us...blocked radio transmissions at LGA...comments from across the crewroom...me thanking a crew after a deadhead and hearing "Not like we had a choice"...etc etc etc.

We don't want these bitter a$$clowns anymore than they want to be here.

Question again...why cant Republic get off the ground with their own check airman and proving run guys? I have seen the E170's out on revenue flights on the CHQ side. Where are the people who did all that stuff for them? This whole thing has me very confused. Again, why would anyone at MDA say yes to coming to an airline that does not have its first 170 or a certificate to operate it?

Exactly....after all the slow taxis ahead of us...blocked radio transmissions at LGA...comments from across the crewroom...me thanking a crew after a deadhead and hearing "Not like we had a choice"...etc etc etc

I always loved those blocked radio transmissions. I can just imagine some brand new FO keying the mike with that satisfied "I really showed him" look on his face. Ok, ya got me. I had to call clearance twice. Yeah, you really schooled me dude.

low-key said:
Why in the hell should I support a bunch of guys who when the shoe was on the other foot would f*ck me faster than a 2 dollar hooker in Harlem?? Awaiting your reply oh mighty J32 Driver

Thats actually pretty funny. I like it.

Why? Because at some point, pilots through their Unions are going to have to stand up and fight for the profession. Fighting for the profession unfortunately means putting your own career second in order to help the job as a whole. Now... "why should I do that" you ask? Because 5 or 10 years from now, when you guys have fought and won a good contract that puts you at the head of your class... 2 CEOs are going to get togethor and transfer your planes to a group of 300 hour CFIs who will fly the planes for 50% of what your are. THEN... you will understand why you guys should be fighting for the jobs of your fellow pilots.

The airplanes will always be transfered to the lowest bidder until the pilots figure out how to stop it. Remember... CHQ won't be the lowest bidder forever. There are always more hungry CFIs.

"How do I as a CHQ pilot show some support for the MDA guys?" Go talk to your union reps. Tell them its imperative that the management must honor whatever LOAs and agreements are in place. Thats it. Don't try and dodge the semantics of the problem. This is an in-system transfer of flying from a Mainline entity to an Express carrier. You know it, we know it, the MDA guys know it, the management folks know it. Just don't allow the company lawyers to twist the truth.

While everyone argues about protecting the profession and stopping the downward slide, don't forget that perhaps the biggest threat comes from across the ponds. Cabotage.

vclean said:
While everyone argues about protecting the profession and stopping the downward slide, don't forget that perhaps the biggest threat comes from across the ponds. Cabotage.

AMEN BRUTHA!!!

This thread shows clearly that there are just some who get it, and others (seamingly most) that do not and will not. Complain about your wages and how badly your company abuses you and then go to work to do it over and over again. When another group draws a line and refuses to cross it, you state that you generously offered them jobs and they snubbed their noses at it. What you fail to understand is that those shiny little jets falling into your lap have to operate under the J4J agreement. You're not offering the jobs here, you are the ones being offered half the jobs. Working for your company is so undesireable that you get to have them all because those who do get it are refusing to participate. I by no means supported nor voted to allow the J4J protocol to be accepted, but it is what it is and this mentality of entitlement in an ever-accelerating race to the bottom is alarming!

On another note, the reason the "a$$clowns" at ALG who thought they had it "sooooo much better" didn't care for most of CHQ is mainly two-fold. One reason for it is watching the outsourcing of express flying passing them over in favor of those who would do it for less, a common sentiment shared among all of those hurt by outsourcing who are trying to make a living. ALG wasn't just a stepping stone, it was a place that you could stay at, live where you wanted to live, and make a decent living at it. Those who were there for a while had to watch it die slowly, while little jets arrived all around them being operated for less, kind of like a mom and pop store watching their whole town adoring the new wal-mart. Another reason for the hate is because of the attitude of the entitled new kids on the block who can't seem to wrap their head around the fact that they are participating in the race for the bottom and the mutilation of this profession. I do think there was a lot of misdirected hostility, and frustration that came out towards individuals who did not neccessarily deserve it.

My hat is off to my friends and their brothers at MDA. It's truly refreshing.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back