• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No longer a rumor - United will hire..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I must have missed something, but I see a lot of jokes and references to affirmative action and United. Could someone fill me in..

Ok, I'll bite...

In the early '90's, UAL lost a discrimination lawsuit so they had to hire more 'non-white males' (I honestly don't know the details as to how they arrived at this point.).

They were turning down highly qualified (thousands of hours, PIC, jet time, FE turbojet--727 F/E was the starting position then) applicants and hiring females and minorities with less than 1,000 hours TT, little multi-engine and no turbine experience.

It was kind of odd, I knew of a couple women who were highly experienced who didn't get hired. It was almost like they WANTED to hire the least experienced NWM's (non-white males) they could.

There were stories of NWM hires who spent months in the training center because UAL had a "train to proficiency" policy--they shure as he!! couldn't fire THOSE people.

So, to this day, UAL has the reputation of hiring NWM's and being a PC airline. TC

Ok, I'll bite...

In the early '90's, UAL lost a discrimination lawsuit so they had to hire more 'non-white males' (I honestly don't know the details as to how they arrived at this point.).

They were turning down highly qualified (thousands of hours, PIC, jet time, FE turbojet--727 F/E was the starting position then) applicants and hiring females and minorities with less than 1,000 hours TT, little multi-engine and no turbine experience.

It was kind of odd, I knew of a couple women who were highly experienced who didn't get hired. It was almost like they WANTED to hire the least experienced NWM's (non-white males) they could.

There were stories of NWM hires who spent months in the training center because UAL had a "train to proficiency" policy--they shure as he!! couldn't fire THOSE people.

So, to this day, UAL has the reputation of hiring NWM's and being a PC airline. TC

I know a gal who finally passed her initial checkride on her SIXTH try. I was afraid that if I didn't pass on my first try that I'd be let go. This was 1995.

GP

Why'd they lose the suit in the first place? Were they turning down highly qualified minorities prior to it?

We lost the suit (among other EEOC lawsuits for other "indiscretions" like alleged violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act recently) because we were supposedly not hiring the "right amount" of females/minorities, etc., etc. Too many white males, not enough everyone else.

And when reading about this particular EEOC lawsuit, you have to keep in mind the people you're dealing with when discussing it on this forum. There isn't ONE person on this forum who has "real" numbers as to how many minorities UAL hires vs. white males vs. any other group of interest. All ANYONE on this forum knows is that UAL lost the suit and now all we hire are females and minorities and if you're a white male you'll never get hired. Of course that is not true, but again, consider your typical poster on this forum whenever UAL's hiring practices are discussed here.

And it wasn't that UAL was turning away "qualified" minority applicants- they just started running out as obviously all airlines are looking to hire these types of applicants as well as to not feel the wrath of the EEOC and the expense incurred trying to defend a lawsuit. When airlines start hiring like crazy, the pool of high-time/experience minority groups dry up and therefore the minimums go down. Again, take the stories with a big grain of salt.

I would love for ONE PERSON on this forum to stop talking in generalizations and come up with REAL, VERIFIABLE hiring numbers for UAL (or any other number) concerning the hiring of any particular group of pilot. Of course, no one will and the crazy stories, rumors, and innuendo will continue.

UALdriver--No one here is saying that "all we hire is...". We were explaining how UAL got the reputation it has.

No one pulled this out of their a$$ and created this image. It's real--in the early '90's, UAL gave preference (extreme preference, IMO) to NWM's and it was the result of corporate policy.

No one has the numbers because they aren't public--or haven't been made public.

If you were trying to get hired at UAL in the early '90's and couldn't even get an interview while people you knew were getting hired with much lower qualifications, that's evidence enough. It was a joke in the rest of the industry.

Trying to say that this wasn't an institutional policy is ludicrous. TC

P.S.--No one can tell how the hiring will go this time around. In the late '90's, they adopted a rational policy and seemed to take a broad cross-section of the population without goint to extremes on either end of the spectrum.

P.S.--No one can tell how the hiring will go this time around. In the late '90's, they adopted a rational policy and seemed to take a broad cross-section of the population without goint to extremes on either end of the spectrum.

I guess. It was pretty sad when the check airman with a clean record, no pinks/violations, ect can't get the call for a sit dwon but the crack in the right seat of the RJ for six months is being prodded by WIA/The 99's ect to apply because they will hire them with the jet time.

I guess. It was pretty sad when the check airman with a clean record, no pinks/violations, ect can't get the call for a sit dwon but the crack in the right seat of the RJ for six months is being prodded by WIA/The 99's ect to apply because they will hire them with the jet time.
Snif, snif.......LOL

A friend of mine at UA (been there for over a decade) said that when he got hired, the published minimums (despite the actual qualifications of their newhires) were 350 hours.

Anyone know what the new mins are at the moment?

There was a time when the minimum WAS 350 FIXED WING PIC to apply. In the later 90's/2000 era they upped it to what was basically the minimums to apply for an ATp certificate. New hires were going into wide body equipment and would be getting typed in the aircraft serving as FO or IRO. You can give a type rating to a 350 hr pilot but you can't put ATP priveleges on it.

Based on the last ~7 years, looks to me like Nancy did a bunch of white males a big favor. Including me.

And to the FPU crowd - I bet they still flease their planes.....

Latest resources

Back