• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No longer a rumor - United will hire..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I figure white male minimums around 5000 hrs turbine with at least 6 type ratings and 10 letters of recs from non white males.

Minority mins requiring a commercial multi engine no older than 6 months.

On the link in the first post it contains a diversity statement. Enough said about how they will hire, again.:rolleyes:

Get over it!

Last edited:
UALdriver--No one here is saying that "all we hire is...". We were explaining how UAL got the reputation it has.

No one pulled this out of their a$$ and created this image. It's real--in the early '90's, UAL gave preference (extreme preference, IMO) to NWM's and it was the result of corporate policy.

And I was simply explaining to the guy that asked that the results of that EEOC settlement are greatly exaggerated on this forum. One needs to look no further than the "extreme preference" comment in your post as an example. What exactly does "extreme preference" mean, anyway vs. just the regular "prefence" given these candidates?

The bottom line is that UAL hires a very small percentage of people with low time including interns, sons and daughters, and yes some minority groups. You'll read many crazy stories about our hiring practices. Some are true (like the fallout from that EEOC lawsuit) but the vast majority simply are exaggerated. That's all I'm saying.

I interviewed in 95, didn't get hired. No harm, no foul, what United did then and does now regarding interviews and hiring is their prerogative. But the way they conducted the interview was so distasteful to me that I never applied again. I didn't care what they offered, I didn't want it that bad.

I will say that I do appreciate a little diversity in the pilot force, it makes life more interesting. Competence and incompetence comes in all colors and both sexes.

I must have missed something, but I see a lot of jokes and references to affirmative action and United. Could someone fill me in..

I can. Guys that couldn't get a job at UAL look for reasons to make themselves feel better. Yes, there were women hired...there were minorities hired. But the majority hired (by far) were white males.

But the way they conducted the interview was so distasteful to me that I never applied again. I didn't care what they offered, I didn't want it that bad.
I know it's an interview tactic but bad manners are bad manners. I wonder how much cash they'll want from applicants this time around.

I can. Guys that couldn't get a job at UAL look for reasons to make themselves feel better. Yes, there were women hired...there were minorities hired. But the majority hired (by far) were white males.

I agree. By the tone of most of the above posts, it sounds like if you are a 'minority', you have it made. If one really research this subject, one will find out that it is far from the truth. I am a non-white US citizen and I had nothing handed down to me (by the way, I do not want anything handed down to me because of my skin color). Nowadays, getting flying jobs are mainly based on all contacts and networking. For example, I got my first regional job after 2 years of flight instructing, 1.5 years of night-freight flying and 3000+ hrs. It took me a while to find my first airline job because I did not know the 'right' people. Nobody came to me and said, "hey, you are not white skinned---why don't you come fly for our airline". Currently I am a captain in a regional with 6000+ hrs with a clean record. I applied to the majors currently hiring and was bypassed many many times by people (whites and non-whites, majority being white males) with much less experience. What did they have I did not have- contacts, family connections etc.

Am I bitter? Absolutely not. I am doing the best job I can right now, build my flight time and resume, develop new friendships, contacts and networks which might one day help me move to a good major. In the meantime, I am also helping others get jobs in my regional airline by providing necessary contacts.

Getting jobs should have nothing to do with sex, race or color---it should be about qualifications, attitude etc. Unfortunately, some people may get jobs based on sex, race etc---but that is not as common as many people in here think. Who said life is fair---what about people getting jobs because their dad or mom is a 777 captain?

Had a guy in my class at another airline tell me this one (about himself). He was a Dash 8 check airman with about 5-6000 PIC, really wanted to work at UA. Couldn't seem to get the call. A good friend, who happened to be a member of OBAP suggested that he join OBAP - because anyone can join. He joined and added his membership to his UA application. He received a phone call from within two weeks from a woman at UA who wanted to know how soon they could set up an interview (interviews were running months from the call at the time). As they were talking and she was looking over his app she said "You're not a minority, are you?". When he responded with the truth (NO), she thanked him for his time and let him go.

100% true story. Happened in the 96-97 time frame.

PIPE

Based on the last ~7 years, looks to me like Nancy did a bunch of white males a big favor. Including me.

And to the FPU crowd - I bet they still flease their planes.....
*snicker*

Yeah, did me a favor, too. Interviewed in '99, would have been on the street for YEARS during the worst downturn in aviation history.

Interestingly enough, commuted through DEN a year later and ran into one of my flight school students, a cute female, doing O.E. on the 757. Wasn't really surprised, UAL has been known for their minority hiring for decades...

Of course more white males are hired than anyone else, that's the demographic that makes up the majority of pilots. But I'd bet money that if you compared the number of successful applicants to the number of total applicants in any gender/ethnicity category, that the ratio of WASP males is lower by a good margin.

Latest resources

Back