• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No longer a rumor - United will hire..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I sure hope they will put an end to the way they interviewed in the past. Perfect logbooks, lunar orbits, and games of stump the dummy should be over. When any carrier turns down Blue Angels or Shuttle Pilots it makes you wonder how they can hire quota pilots and feel good about themselves.

Baja.

I sure hope they will put an end to the way they interviewed in the past. Perfect logbooks, lunar orbits, and games of stump the dummy should be over. When any carrier turns down Blue Angels or Shuttle Pilots it makes you wonder how they can hire quota pilots and feel good about themselves.

Baja.

Yes, I hope they change the way they hire too.

Years back, when they had the written application, I heard (even though the application said PRINT or TYPE) that if you printed it, you wouldn't get a call. Well then put TYPE on there! I hate mind games like that.

Also, this year, when I was at Women in Aviation, I stopped by the UAL booth in my uniform just to ask (out of curiosity) if they were going to hire anytime soon. The HR lady says "yes, are you going to apply?" I had to hold back the laughter but I was polite believe it or not. The female captain working their booth looked like she was holding back a chuckle as well.

I don't think folks will put up with the crap of United circa 1999. Its a different airline now. Most folks would rather work at UPS, FDX, SWA, or even CAL or DAL. UAL will be competing for the best of the crop now, instead of getting them automatically. I think its a different game...

Guppy, excellent post, except you left out one crucial detail that will keep the highly-experienced pilots away:

Profitability and a working business plan. United doesn't have either, and they work together to ensure long-term viability.

As far as I know, they're the only post-bankruptcy Legacy that has consistently posted losses since they exited. Given the HUGE concessions given by the work group, the restructured leases, and paring back their operation to just the basics, you'd *think* they'd be making money...

If they can't make money in this environment with all those concessions, what person in their right mind would consider going there as a "long-term career move"?

Something's just not right over there, and there doesn't seem to be a plan to turn it around except "merger mania"... Even Dougie isn't interested, and that's a BIG sign. ;)

Also, this year, when I was at Women in Aviation, I stopped by the UAL booth in my uniform just to ask (out of curiosity) if they were going to hire anytime soon. The HR lady says "yes, are you going to apply?" I had to hold back the laughter but I was polite believe it or not. The female captain working their booth looked like she was holding back a chuckle as well.
*snicker*

Did you defer politely and change the subject, or did you explain it to them?

yes folks i will be involved in the process again. you can pm me for a private 'flight info' practice game of stump the dummy. good luck to all. scantrons for all my friends and lets up the app fee to 500. to offset those fuel costs.

nancy

According to Reuters, United announced this morning that they will hire 100 pilots before year end.

As far as I know, they're the only post-bankruptcy Legacy that has consistently posted losses since they exited. Given the HUGE concessions given by the work group, the restructured leases, and paring back their operation to just the basics, you'd *think* they'd be making money...

I should know more of the details than I do, but I believe if you factor in the debt paydown we made quite a lot of money. Much can be debated regarding the goal of strengthening the balance sheet, but I don't think the argument can still be maintained that UAL is losing money. I'm sure someone will be motivated to show some numbers that probably prove me wrong.

I took the paycut and left a regional to come back to UAL. I'm in the midst of the worst of it (brutal pay cut, reserve on the LCO, etc) but I'm still very happy I came back. Only time will tell if I made a foolish decision. Here's hoping that Age 65 takes long enough for plenty of new hires to make it on the property. (c:

W8N

Latest resources

Back