• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No longer a rumor - United will hire..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As they were talking and she was looking over his app she said "You're not a minority, are you?". When he responded with the truth (NO), she thanked him for his time and let him go.
Isn't it illegal to ask that question? He should have said so and let them wonder...

It is illegal to ask someone their race in a screening or interview. I guess that four year business degree was worth every penny.

I'm a white male, hired in '98, with no degree...go figure...all you guys with your "he said,she said"...yea, things are not great now, but most everyone on this board would have given their left nut to get hired with UAL in the late '90's. Stop being so bitter because you didn't get an interview or didn't get hired and get a life. Oh, by the way, I haven't flown with a minority in over a year.

Agreed, everyone of us would have taken a job with 500 hours.

UAL at one point was losing $5M per day. How the heck didn't they go out of bussiness? This solidified my position that because United didn't liquidate during BK then United will probably outlive me.

The big thing that I was happy to see was the 'minimal' loss of assets. Things were pretty brutal when SARS rolled around. Flying 747s and 777s across the Pacific with 15% loads isn't profitable.
United ended up closing MIA (a moment of silence, please - I would've been happy to junior reserve butt boy for years to be domiciled there), a few 'crappy' slots at LHR, and dumping a lot of 747s. The planes can be replaced; with open skies, the LHR slots aren't a huge loss; a moment of silence please for the MIA domicile. :crying:

If you've ever watched the slow flush of airlines, the older ones have sold off assets to stay alive until the day that there's nothing left to sell. In all, United came out of that very bloody time fairly healthy.

I sure hope they will put an end to the way they interviewed in the past. Perfect logbooks, lunar orbits, and games of stump the dummy should be over. When any carrier turns down Blue Angels or Shuttle Pilots it makes you wonder how they can hire quota pilots and feel good about themselves.

Baja.

That era ended by the time I interviewed in 2000, although they did comb over my logbooks with a magnifying glass. When Nancy Stuke departed, the process changed significantly for the better.

From ual.com:

[FONT=arial,geneva]United Airlines pilots are a skilled, professional group of men and women.
United is an airline industry leader committed to continually developing and promoting technologies that improve flight efficiency and safety.
United pilots have the opportunity to continually refine and refresh their piloting skills through our education programs, flight simulators and experience with a variety of state-of-the-art aircraft.
With years of training and consummate professionalism, the men and women who fly for United are the best of the best.
United is preparing to commence pilot hiring later this year. If you are interested in becoming a United pilot, please continue to check this page for more information.
[/FONT]

Delet all references to "men" from this statement and you've got your hiring projections for the next year.

I was hired the summer of 97. I'm a white male. My class was all white males. The class before that was all white males. The class before that was all white males. The class after mine was all white males. The class after that was all white males. The class after that was all white males. You get the idea.

If you didn't get hired at United during that time, you lost your job to another white male. Deal with it.

Or else just keep keep up with your nonsensical whining; "It is just sooooo hard to be a white man today......."

If you were trying to get hired at UAL in the early '90's and couldn't even get an interview while people you knew were getting hired with much lower qualifications, that's evidence enough. It was a joke in the rest of the industry.

Consider it a blessing in disguise.

I was hired the summer of 97. I'm a white male. My class was all white males. The class before that was all white males. The class before that was all white males. The class after mine was all white males. The class after that was all white males. The class after that was all white males. You get the idea.

If you didn't get hired at United during that time, you lost your job to another white male. Deal with it.

Or else just keep keep up with your nonsensical whining; "It is just sooooo hard to be a white man today......."

I love you :D

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back