• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No longer a rumor - United will hire..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was hired the summer of 97. I'm a white male. My class was all white males. The class before that was all white males. The class before that was all white males. The class after mine was all white males. The class after that was all white males. The class after that was all white males. You get the idea.

If you didn't get hired at United during that time, you lost your job to another white male. Deal with it.

Or else just keep keep up with your nonsensical whining; "It is just sooooo hard to be a white man today......."

Thank you for the clarification...............Mr(s). Garcia

I'm a white male, hired in '98, with no degree...go figure...all you guys with your "he said,she said"...yea, things are not great now, but most everyone on this board would have given their left nut to get hired with UAL in the late '90's. Stop being so bitter because you didn't get an interview or didn't get hired and get a life. Oh, by the way, I haven't flown with a minority in over a year.

How many points did you put in for avoid minorities on PBS? (I'm kidding!)

That's just great. And your particular story is anecdotal as well. I can tell you many more true stories that seem to prove my point and you can do the same for your point. What's the point?

By the way, I have my left nut AND a much better job (talk about having your cake(or your nut) and eating it too) thanks to Nancy and her merry mafia of a$$clowns. The one saving grace about the last few years is that she lost her gig, like many of us did.

Any hiring process where they hire you after the third try is a bit suspect. What does it mean? Was Nancy wrong for not hiring you........or was she wrong for hiring you? It makes no sense.

PIPE

I found this: http://www.kscourts.org/ca10/cases/1999/08/98-1125.htm

A facscinating look at the UAL hiring process in the nineties, part of an appeals court opinion on a discrimination case.

United's application and selection process for flight officers involves three phases. In the initial phase, United accepts applications from individuals meeting certain minimum qualifications including 350 hours of flight experience, commercial pilot certification, a high school diploma, and other physical and medical requirements. United then ranks eligible applicants according to aeronautical experience. Those applicants ranked at the top of the list advance to the second phase of the selection process. Because female applicants typically have less aeronautical experience than male applicants, United ranks male and female applicants separately. United then selects a proportionate number of males and females to proceed to the second phase. At the second phase, applicants must complete a simulator flight and a formal interview. Based on the applicant's performance, a review board then decides whether to reject the applicant or to extend a conditional offer. If United extends a conditional offer, the candidate moves on to the third phase, which includes a medical exam and background check.

So what was it about the United interview process that was so unsettling? I am inferring from the posts here that they were rude and/or aggressive toward the interviewee?

I was hired early 1999, my class was 20 White Males. 16 directly from the fighter community. Class ahead of us was 19 WM and 1 Black Male. He's a Zoomer, fromer Eagle driver and a Weapons School Instructor, extremely qualified.
My experience was that if you were a commuter/regional guy you really had to do something besides flying the line to get hired. Mayble, IP,LCA or leave your commuter/regional to move to another airline that flew bigger jets.
Having said that, I think interviewing will be different now. If you're a junior RJ Capt somewhere, give it a shot. Especially if you aren't supporting a family. Hell, you don't have to stop applying elsewhere.
Some of the guys bashing here got turned down 2 and 3 times. Guess I can't blame them for being pissed.

Later,
The Pig.

I actually didn't think the process was that bad, but I also have interviewed at some places that were run by total pricks, so I might be a bit shell-shocked to begin with.

I did have the (mis)fortune of encountering that lovely HR lady everyone talks about, and I know I did or said something she didn't like, although it's pretty hard to be friendly to someone who's that openly antagonistic, which I'm not sure was part of the test or just her normal demeanor.

The interviewing Captain was actually pretty cool, it was the two of them interviewing me at the same time, going back and forth, a bit disconcerting trying to figure out which one to answer, how much time to spend looking and talking to each one on the same answer, etc. It was a mind game, although to what end I have no idea.

Pretty needless all-in-all, and I knew I had blown it when we're walking out and the Captain says, "I thought you did well, but maybe next time." Don't know why I didn't get it, but the thanks, but no thanks letter came a week later.

In retrospect, it's the best thing that could have ever happened, as I had a stable job with a decent income during the post 9/11 era that I wouldn't have had if I'd have stayed there, plus it made me dig harder into my interviewing skills and I've had pretty good luck interviewing since then.

Needless to say, I'm not applying when the window opens. Don't need that kind of stress or aggravation in my life worrying about some silly mind game interview or scantron $40 app fee bullsh*t. I'm sure many people will go on to have good careers there, just not me.

Hopefully their HR process will have woken up and smelled the 21st century when they start back up again, including the abolishment of the EEOC crap and the stupid HR mind games and the foolishness of a sim check for a 7,000+ hour pilot, and just give someone a straightforward interview to see if they'd fit the corporate culture and they're someone you could fly a 3 or 4 day trip with.

That's all this job really is,,,

The problem with hiring in the 90's was not who they were hiring, it was who they were turning down. In 96 they interviewed 4500 pilots to hire 500 (almost all who were white males by the way). They turned down 4000 qualified pilots most of whom would have been great employees. I used to tell my friends who had interviews that it was kind of like lets make a deal, they are conducting multiple interviews at a time and if you walk in the right room it is yours to screw up. If you walk in the wrong room there is pretty much nothing you can do to get the job. It was a screwed up way to hire pilots but they did not end up with bad pilots/employees they just pissed off a whole sh##load of good pilots that interviewed for no reason.

Ah "Yonited" bashing... I'm gettin' a little nostalgic here! This post reminds me of the good old days on FI.com! Round and round we go...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back