• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No Jumpseat at Virgin America?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Doesnt this say it all? Pretty PATHETIC!! I could fly a Lear and make more.

pay_virgin2007.gif

I'm getting an $11/hour increase when I start my 2nd year. Not $5. Wow that is impressive, $55 for second year FO. Do you still go to year 1, when or if you upgrade. VA should have never been allowed to fly in the USA in the first place, but thats for the politicians to figure out.

I dont think I will need a VA jumpseat anytime soon but thanks. You are also welcome on ours.

Nothing against you just the poor pay rates and RB running the company. I cant understand why someone would accept such low pay. What does Sir Richard pay Virgin boys? I am sure better then what VA gets.

Last edited:
I'm getting an $11/hour increase...

No one is making you leave. Enjoy your Lear job.

BTW, ever look at the NWA rates for DC9 CA? When you do, please start another thread when you start the name-calling. TC

Pay rates at Spirit are the same as VA...if VA is not a dollar or so better an hour. FO pay is better at VA.

So is the pay really that bad?

Granted we can't all fly a Lear for what....$120/hr

helluva lear job

Pay rates at Spirit are the same as VA...if VA is not a dollar or so better an hour. FO pay is better at VA.

I think we will have to wait and see what the work rules and trip rig protections are like at VA. Hourly pay rates only mean so much. My friend at Spirit got paid for 190 hrs a couple months ago because of such protections/pay.

Does VA have pay protection for trips that are dropped?
Do they pay block or better?
Do they pay 150% for open time pick up?
Do they pay 200% for junior assignment?
What is VA's daily guarantee?
Is VA going to have some type of PBS that maximizes pilot utilization?

I could probably list a hundred things that matter more than hourly pay.

Last edited:
190 hours at Spirit? Good luck with that on a regular basis....then of course there are the pilots scheduling always "works with".

Anyway, I understand what you are saying. Only pointing out that the pay is really not that low hourly wise. It is going to take VA some time to devolop pay structrure. They've been operating for what....2 weeks? Again...time will tell.

Yeah..190hrs is not the norm. That was the most I have ever heard. But, the fact that it "can" be done is a good example of the importance of contract language vs. hourly pay.

I think the average pilot credits between 100 and 140. Mostly because of conflicts that result in a trip being dropped with pay. Or, picking up one open time trip (maybe even a turn) at 150% or 200% pay.

You can also bid option one and get more pay for working the same hours. For example, if I have a 74 hour line (flying 74 hours) and I drop a 20 hour trip and pick up a 20 hour trip (Only at 100% pay), I can still get paid for 84 hours (flying 74 hours). If they really need pilots you can get 200% pay for that same 20 hour trip. You start the month with 74 hours of flying and 104 hours of pay. It is all about understanding the contract.

There have been times when I have been able to get my commute leg from open time (e.g., "deadhead" to where I commute from - Then fly to FLL). One leg for 6 hrs of pay (4 hours guarantee at 150%).

Last edited:
I think we have gotten a little off base here with the jumpseat thread. I agree with you that there is more to pay than hourly rates, but only if you can get to it. However, this I think we should either start a new thread or get back on subject.

BTW did you hear Carlson mention that the new planes will be ordered with only one jumpseat. I hope that isn't true. They say it is to save weight and fuel. Also our fearless leader, Ben, has stated that "it isn't his job to get other pilots to work." NICE eh.

The official guideline is that only revenue guests fly in first class.

A practical response to whether you would get denied in a situation where there were first class seats and coach was full:

There are 8 first class seats and 141 coach seats, and day of departure upgrades are sold at the airport. Almost no chance that a full flight wouldn't have people paying the nominal upgrade fee to not sit in a middle seat in coach.
No matter the guideline, I really don't see jumpseaters getting bumped with empty seats in first and/or jumpseats in the cockpit.

If you do run into any issues when jumpseating, just try to find a second person to ask or try to speak to the captain...many GSTs aren't familiar with the rules and procedures of jumpseating at this point.

Latest resources

Back