No Jumpseat at Virgin America?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyHigher

Just got off the phone with their reservation line. The lady told me no jumpseaters from any airline - not in front nor back. Well, I guess they are not CASS yet, but not even in the back? How do their pilots commute?

Reservation people are often misinformed and ignorant of the JS process. I had an VA pilot in my JS a few weeks ago and yes they are CASS. We had seats in the back so he did not actually occupy the cockpit JS. Being CASS is independent of having reciprocal JS agreements with individual airlines. If the carrier is 121 but has no formal recip. JS agreements then it maybe captain's discretion depending on the airline.

The majority of their pilots do commute so it's to their best interest to sign up as many recip JS agreements as possible. I just confirmed that VA does have recip js agreement with us. I think it would be stupid for VA to turn down any 121 carrier pilot trying to js on them. Typically as the new kid on the block new carriers are pretty liberal with their JS policy.

Just got off the phone with their reservation line. The lady told me no jumpseaters from any airline - not in front nor back. Well, I guess they are not CASS yet, but not even in the back? How do their pilots commute?

We have many recip agreements already on the books. Odds are you had someone that was misinformed.
There are 2 jumpseats in the Airbus (as usual). 1st is for online pilots, if no VA pilot is there, it goes first-come-first-served for offline pilots with recip CASS agreements. The other seat is set-up via internal reservations by the VA pilots. If the 2nd is not going to be occupied by a VA pilot, what happens is exactly that of the 1st seat.

As stated before, we have many agreements already functioning but I know that we don't have one set-up with UAL right now. Still working on it.

There are 2 jumpseats in the Airbus (as usual). 1st is for online pilots, if no VA pilot is there, it goes first-come-first-served for offline pilots with recip CASS agreements. The other seat is set-up via internal reservations by the VA pilots. If the 2nd is not going to be occupied by a VA pilot, what happens is exactly that of the 1st seat.

You must be a lawyer.

Translation: VA pilots get the JS first

You make it sound like a bad thing. Why would any carrier take an offline pilot in the JS before a pilot of their own?
Kinda a standard policy I've experienced from commuting in the past.

I think you mis-read b82res. I thought that he was jerking your chain for being too wordy :)

I think you mis-read b82res. I thought that he was jerking your chain for being too wordy :)

Yeah, probably. A bad late night/early morning combination.

I also heard a little thing about a walk-up JSer being turned away because the agent didn't know we had agreements set-up. If that happens, please just be nice and see if that person could check with a supervisor about it.

What else?

Latest resources

Back