• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No Jumpseat at Virgin America?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I heard they dont have any internal travel priviledges set up yet for their own employees....which explains why the gate agents are sooo nasty....why should they let another airline pilot on their airplane when they cant fly themselves....also heard they have not let their dispatchers into CASS for this same reason...

Lies make it around the world twice before the truth makes is across town.
Travel priviledges are in place.

So, if 3 guys show up needing a jumpseat, and there's a seat left in first, 1 guy doesn't ride?

Raw deal.

This thread is about jumpseats and not about how good or bad companies treat their staff.

But it also affect jumpseaters (if you eventually get agreements)

It wouldn't bother me if your company didn't have a desire for reciprocal jumpseat agreements. But when you start asking for reciprocal agreements you should play by the same rules.

Last edited:
That is a horrible policy. The top execs don't care because they still have first class travel (for life) on their previous airlines.

I guess that tells you what the company really thinks of you (as an employee) when they won't even let you ride in an OPEN "first class" seat.

Right, and I am sure Don Carty will be treated great when he tries to ride in the front on AA.

Look, I'm not saying it's good or bad. It's just the way it is. There were many times when I was commuting in the past where the carrier I tried to ride on only took as many jumpseaters as there were jumpseats -- even with tons of seats in the back. 5 people show up for the the JS, 30 seats in back, 1 JS up front and only 1 jumpseater was taken. All that even when my carrier filled the boat and I was happy to take everyone that asked to ride. I didn't like being left behind even when I took everyone I could but that's the way it was.

Not everyone plays by the same rules. We've ALL been around the block enough times to realize that.

I just want you guys to know what the deal is before you walk up to the counter. That's all. All of us at VA will do our best to get all the JSers on the plane. We'd love you have you along. Please don't think otherwise.

I just want you guys to know what the deal is before you walk up to the counter. That's all. All of us at VA will do our best to get all the JSers on the plane. We'd love you have you along. Please don't think otherwise.

Virgin America has some positives. I don't want to act like I think they are all negative. And you make a good point about how not all airlines play by the same rules. I think you understand where we are coming from and we understand where you are coming from.

I have been there as well when a carrier only took as many offline JSers as were JS in the cockpit. I remember sitting at the counter trying to get on a Delta 727. There were 20something empty seats, but only one JS on the 727. (The carrier had the aircraft configured that way). There were 2 of us plus another online JSer. The Delta guy and one of us got on.

I hate to say it, but I think it sucks that VA doesn't allow even thier non-uniformed employees in First Class. I would totally understand if the employee wasn't in business attire and there were policies in affect about attire. (I think there should be more placed on attire when on an airplane rev and non rev....but that is another thread I'm sure)

However, that is the rule. Just like the JS in cockpit regulates JSer rule.

Over in Europe NOBODY but revenue pax sit up front. I was on a non rev over there and they delayed the flight to get me on because they moved paying passengers from coach to First Class to accomodate the non rev's. They got us on, so no complaints here, it was just different than I was accustomed to here in the states. I later found out that most foreign carriers have similar rules about first class.

So my question to slavenaway: In that situation will VA move a paying customer to First Class to accomodate a non rev?

Last edited:
I guess that tells you what the company really thinks of you (as an employee) when they won't even let you ride in an OPEN "first class" seat.

No that started that when they showed how much they are willing to pay their piots. Plus the merit based, kiss our butts upgrade policy. Gotta love the whole $5 raise per year. What a great way to treat employees. Why would people work their? A slight step above scumbus but not much.

So my question to slavenaway: In that situation will VA move a paying customer to First Class to accomodate a non rev?

Unfortunately, no. It isn't the perfect scenario, I know. It was our idea to make the ability to do that an option but VA wants those seats to generate revenue. You can't BUY a seat in 1st class these days -- they're all booked up and checking-in full so it really isn't a workable option even if we did have the authority to do it.

Latest resources

Back