• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No Jumpseat at Virgin America?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Umm AA717 I dont fly a lear anymore. I fly a 737 for a certain company out of Dallas.

Ok, then, what was the pay rate relative to the majors when SWA started up? TC

Hey Ralph SWA hires guys in their 50's. We had a guy not long ago that was 56 in class. I do think you guys are right on with the IFE though. RB has come out and said VA is his airline. When he made that statements the ticket should have been pulled that day...IMO. Not that it matters much here on FI.

AA717 dont care what it was way back then. I dont live in the past just the future. I know swa ruined the industry and is the root cause of all the legecy problems. Yeah yeah!! I hope you guys will get a huge raise. I can tell you this though. I wouldnt even apply to SWA back in those days. But, hey thats just me. I know there were 1000's that would and did. Oh well those guys that did also faught hard to make swa what it is today, had fun doing it and are now multi millionairs(except the ones that have been divorced multiple times). SO I thank them for that.

Last edited:
I know there were 1000's that would and did. Oh well those guys that did also faught hard to make swa what it is today, had fun doing it and are now multi millionairs(except the ones that have been divorced multiple times). SO I thank them for that.

Dont you think that these guys at VA and Skybus are hoping for the same luck that your senior SWA pilots had?

Just a guess....that most of these guys would much rather work for SWA, FedEx, UPS and any other high paying airline with strong finances? But a couple of things might hold them back, cant get hired or pay is too low.

These guys came across an opportunity, to start out as captains at $95,000 vs FOs at $35,000. They have families, houses, and other expenses that come with age. Until your union agrees to pay first year pilots a "livable wage", we will always have these lower paying, start up carriers that will threaten the industry. Dont blame these pilots, blame your own pilot group. Trust me, after 20+ yrs as a pilot, I am making slightly more today than 20 yrs ago. I chose to put my family thru hell, rather than be a part of this problem.....and it sucks.

"Until your union agrees to pay first year pilots a "livable wage"."

Lets see my first year pay was $54,000 without working any extra. There are plenty of guys that make well over $75,000 1st year. They dont work that hard they just work the system better. Heck some even make around 100, but they are working very hard for that. Second around $98,000 for me so I think that is livable for F/O and again no extra flying. I fly my line and thats all.

RB has come out and said VA is his airline. When he made that statements the ticket should have been pulled that day...IMO. Not that it matters much here on FI.

I wouldnt even apply to SWA back in those days. But, hey thats just me. I know there were 1000's that would and did. Oh well those guys that did also faught hard to make swa what it is today, had fun doing it and are now multi millionairs(except the ones that have been divorced multiple times). SO I thank them for that.

I respect your opinion, and agree that it only matters what the DOT's opinion is. We are just drivers. SRB can say anything he wants to but saying that doesn't change the financial structure. I submit the argument we are less foreign owned that a few other US companies.

On the early SWA guys, I intend to repeat their long fought success here, minus the alimony payments. Time will tell.

Keep the blue side up...

Cabotage is coming and Virgin is the toehold on the beach.

The people that go to work there can no doubt justify their decision, much like those who work at pay for training carriers.

We all know what "merit upgrade" really means. That alone will keep me well clear of this operation.

No VAs on my jumpseat either.

When Ryanair, EasyJet etc. start flying domestic city pairs, with EU aviators who have their health care subsidized by their home governments, they will undoubtedly become CASS aproved. Enjoy having them on your jumpseat for the brief period before they occupy your front seat.

When cabotage comes and European pilots are flying here go ahead and try to get an entry level position in europe. "Oh, you only have an FAA certificate? We don't recognize those but we have an 18 month conversion program that only costs $75,000. When you complete the JAA program feel free to send us an application."

Q. How many foreign nationals work for UAL DAL AA etc?

A. You probably are friends with several at your carrier, I know that I am.

Q. How many US nationals work for BA, Air France etc?

A. ZERO. Non-Natives need not apply. Of course you can work in Asia on a contract basis, until they can train enough native pilots that is.

You make it sound like a bad thing. Why would any carrier take an offline pilot in the JS before a pilot of their own?
Kinda a standard policy I've experienced from commuting in the past.

Not at all, I think he/she just wanted for you to "dumb it down" a little for all of us - you know, pylotts! :)

Ps. I had to re-read your statement as well, but then again, I'm slow by choice! ;)

Latest resources

Back