• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NO JS to anti-ALPA types

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Please tell me this career is'nt like this.....I am far from a snot nose 19 year old spikey haired dude.

I have paid lots of dues, banner towed, ferried aircraft, instructed, tailwheel endorsements, part 135 etc. Using the JS for political reasons is probably uncalled for but to each their own, as I am not and have not been in said persons shoes. Me I'd probably just preach and let said suspect ride. Anything fanatical is a little crazy. IE REALLY REALLY Anti Union guys or the REALLY REALLY pro union guys. Get a life. The proper mix is probably somewhere in between. Everything in moderation. That being said if I ever work for a airline I will NEVER cross the line period. Its just one of those givens going into this career that is understood, I would pick up trash before I crossed the line. As O Reilly says tell me where I'm wrong? (lol, no I'm not a demo or a republican per se, remember a little in moderation)

Please tell me this career is'nt like this.....I am far from a snot nose 19 year old spikey haired dude.

I have paid lots of dues, banner towed, ferried aircraft, instructed, tailwheel endorsements, part 135 etc. Using the JS for political reasons is probably uncalled for but to each their own, as I am not and have not been in said persons shoes. Me I'd probably just preach and let said suspect ride. Anything fanatical is a little crazy. IE REALLY REALLY Anti Union guys or the REALLY REALLY pro union guys. Get a life. The proper mix is probably somewhere in between. Everything in moderation. That being said if I ever work for a airline I will NEVER cross the line period. Its just one of those givens going into this career that is understood, I would pick up trash before I crossed the line. As O Reilly says tell me where I'm wrong? (lol, no I'm not a demo or a republican per se, remember a little in moderation)
Finally someone who understands and can read between the lines! Well said and good attitude!!:beer: This bud's for you!!

ALPA need an overhaul, they need fresh blood in their hierarchy. They both need to do a better job representing people vs worrying about how much money they are going to make off of a pilot group.

A better job representing...... maybe....

I'd live to do a better job representing pilots... problem is we can't get pilots to speak up....

See the thing is... you are negating a basic component in democracy....participation!

Maybe the questions should be.... what comes first...

Out of the box thinking or particaption....

Ask them. They can certainly lie if they want to, but if they admit to voting NO, then no free ride. Pretty simple...but anyone who admits to voting NO shouldn't be given any respect or professional courtesy.

It's the people like you who encourages a jumpseat war that could very well lose the jumpseat for everyone.

That seat belongs to the company. It's a privilege to use it, not a right. It doesn't belong to the Captain.

Your immaturity is stunning. Don't you think the Skywest and Colgan pilots will remember your childishness when the vote for ALPA comes up again?

You're not even a ALPA member anymore.

Last edited:
So what happens when management gets tired of all these jumpseat complaints flying back and forth, and decides, in the interets of keeping the peace, that no one rides the jumpseat anymore, other than FAA inspectors and check airman? Where will you be then?

It seems to be lost on everybody that management has the authority, and the responsibility, to approve everyone who rides that jumpseat. It's not a contract item, it's an F.A.R. Sure, the captain can exclude anyone he wants in the interest of safety, but he cannot "approve" the jumpseat for anyone if the company is saying "No."

Think about it.

As it will not be offered on my a/c to the 87 original Freedom pilots, Go Jets pilots, or now skywest pilots. Sorry.

I never thought I'd be happy that MAG replaced SKW as my only option to get home...

All:

I have spoken very passionately about the jumpseat before. When I see these posts on here about blanket denials and the other BS, it really makes me think the pilots who plowed the road before me would be rolling over in their graves reading the immature, pi$$ ant rants on threads like this.

The jumpseat is a professional courtesy you extend to another pilot who is providing for his/her family. You may not like the airline they fly for, their employment past, their contract, or the way they look or act. They may not like unions, they may like Hillary Clinton. The facts about their life, their political affiliation, their sexual idiosyncracies, whether they like dogs or cats, and all the rest is not relavent.

Be a professional. If you commute, treat every jumpseater like you want to be treated. If you don't, thank your lucky stars. Welcome them like an old college buddy and treat them like gold. I can promise you if you don't, it will eventually come back around.

A350

ALPA saved the jumpseat after 9/11....thanks for the nice laugh.

You really don't read between the lines very well do you? Just because I do not like unions, does not mean I do not support unions. I am not anti union. I never said I am Anti union. I just said I do not like unions. Believe it or not there is a difference.

You may not like to eat fish, but it is good for you. We need Unions in our industry for our protection. I guess what I should have said is that I am for, or Pro, In house Unionization. Both Teamsters and ALPA need an overhaul, they need fresh blood in their hierarchy. They both need to do a better job representing people vs worrying about how much money they are going to make off of a pilot group.

If you look at the trend of the future or "OUT SIDE THE BOX" in other words look beyond the end of your nose, you will see that pilot groups are moving toward the end of third party representation and moving to in house unionization. Now Just to make my point clear, I never said get rid of Unions all together, I said Unionize in house, that means form your own independent company Pilot Union!!

You need to go over to the "regional airline pilots union" thread to read why in-house unions don't work, especially for regional airlines. In-house unions are a mistake. Believe me, I'm a member of one.

It seems to be lost on everybody that management has the authority, and the responsibility, to approve everyone who rides that jumpseat. It's not a contract item, it's an F.A.R.

You need to do some research. Many pilot contracts include language for access to the jumpseat and Captain's authority over it.

Latest resources

Back