No IFR allowed?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jagboy69 said:
I contributed plenty to this thread. This ********************ing troll insists on trashing anything I say due to the fact I work for DCA. ScrewHIM.
You work for DCA???? I guess that I am done taking you seriously as well.

Buffetck, Dumbass,

Only you could turn an IFR converstion into an Anti- DCA conversation. NO RELATION, Trust me. Do you have anything relavant to speak about other than how DCA FIRED you?

If not, Stick to what you know..... NOTHING!!!!!

Oh, and BTW, I have No affiliation with DCA, Trust me "C" Sucker

Here's another post you've Butt F*ed
DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING PERTAINING TO FLIGHT TRAINING TO SPEAK ABOUT?
IF NOT, PLLLELEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! STFU!!!!!!!!

Back on topic, I do not see any problem with doing part of the 3 hours in actual with a student, however at some point you are going to have to be simulated to practice the unusual attitudes (like those found in this thread). I do however have a problem with consitantly filing with a private applicant just to get on top to train. Every now and then sure, but every time the weather is down, no way. Take the opportunity to do ground work, because we all know its hard to get a student to come in to do ground if you schedule it.

Connectionpilot said:
I'm talking about like the xcountrys and stuff...like the solo long, and the night dual, etc...

141, Appendix D specifically states that the 2 required dual Commercial XCs must be in day and night VFR conditions. This is to say at a minimum, one leg can be done during the day to KXYZ, then wait until nighttime and then return to your home base. Both XCs do not have to be out-and-backs. For training purposes, a XC is anything greater than 50NM so a one-legger is considered a XC by FAA standards. But, be it that you are building time for the commercial, milk it for all it's worth.

So, I would dispute what someone else posted when they said the FAR/AIM says it needs to be only VMC. VFR and VMC are two different concepts. If you flew these flights VFR-on-top and if the examiner caught it (by seeing actual logged or even approaches), he could make a case that the flights were not conducted in accordance with your school's 141 certificate. In any case, you can always get clarification from your school's Chief Instructor or the schools' designated FAA POI.

My advice is to keep it strictly VFR for the dual XCs. All of my 700+ dual given was at a major university 141 program and I never conducted these flights on an IFR flight plan.

It's also interesting to point out that 141, Appendix D doesn't specify what conditions the long Commercial solo XC must be conducted under (ie VFR/IFR). However, my 141 program would not allow students to go solo in IMC even if they were IFR rated so I was never faced with this question. If your school's TCO allows student solo flight in IMC then you could make a case for this particular flight to be conducted in IMC.

Just be smart and use your good judgement; it's all a matter of risk. Don't be so hung up into getting actual. In none of my airline interviews was I questioned as to why I only had 13 hrs. of actual. I did have hundreds of hours of sim time and hood time combined so it's all in how you use your training.

Way2Broke said:
Back on topic, I do not see any problem with doing part of the 3 hours in actual with a student, however at some point you are going to have to be simulated to practice the unusual attitudes (like those found in this thread). I do however have a problem with consitantly filing with a private applicant just to get on top to train. Every now and then sure, but every time the weather is down, no way. Take the opportunity to do ground work, because we all know its hard to get a student to come in to do ground if you schedule it.

I agree completely. Private students are so impressionable that the gung-ho, actual-seeking instructor can end up having a negative impact on a new student. The very basics of flying need to be learned with visual cues and references. Lots of cloud time early on can lead to bad habits, mainly reliance up the gauges and a lack of the "see and avoid" concept. Privates need to focus their eyes out of the cockpit the most.

Okay, I have to ask. What happened to this Buffettck guy? It appears that all of his posts have been deleted, and he is no longer in the directory. I also notice that several of these thread show 3 or more pages, and when I try to go to one of the later ones, I stay on an earlier page. I assume that this is because of the deletion of his posts. Is this correct, or is something wrong? Did he get banned because of his perpetual axe grinding? Just curious.

§ 61.129 Aeronautical experience.

(iii) One cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a single-engine airplane in day VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure;
(iv) One cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a single-engine airplane in night VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and

(i) One cross-country flight of not less than 300 nautical miles total distance, with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250 nautical miles from the original departure point. However, if this requirement is being met in Hawaii, the longest segment need only have a straight-line distance of at least 150 nautical miles; and

Straight from the book. First two must be flown in VFR conditions, last big one does not specify. Thus, it can be performed in IFR conditions assuming the pilot is IFR rated. I flew my 250nm XC IFR and I went to Comair (DCA) for my ASEL.

Latest resources

Back