• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No IFR allowed?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WHo said it is not allowed? I am teaching ASEL (amongst other ratings) at DCA. You mind explaining how you expect to do commercial maneuvers that the FAA has specified in the ASEL PTS in the WEATHER? IFR is allowed, you can file IFR to get out, find some vfr, do your airwork and file IFR to get back in. I try my ass off to get my students as much IFR (even private) as possible. Some instructors are just too lazy to deal with it. If yours is like that, talk to him or her about filing to get your flights done. If they dont want to, then find your group leaders or managers, they'll fix it. You can always fly with me. I love actual!;)

Connectionpilot said:
I'm talking about like the xcountrys and stuff...like the solo long, and the night dual, etc...

Break out your FARAIM. Those are required to be vfr.

With 141, you've gotta go with the syllabus. If they got the FAA to approve IFR flights for the long xc, then great...if the FAA approved "VFR only" for your solo xc's, then it's VFR only.

It's all about the syllabus and TCO's under 141.

FWIW, Under Part 61, you can do the long solo xc however you want, but the dual (day and night) have to be VFR still.

-mini

timeoff said:
Break out your FARAIM. Those are required to be vfr.
I think that you need to break out the FARAIM, they have to be VMC, but you may file an IFR flight plan.

Jagboy69 said:
I try my ass off to get my students as much IFR (even private) as possible. Some instructors are just too lazy to deal with it.

Private students in actual? I'm sure that does the student alot of good <sarcastic>. I'd say that might even set yourself up for a private non instrument rated pilot that thinks it okay to blast off into IFR.

I agree with the rest that it all comes down to the regs or approved TCO. However, it might just be a school rule. I remember the University 141 program I went through allowed some of the Commercial XC's to be IFR. However, it was policy that students (even if you were licensed Private/Instrument) could not go into solid IMC unless a CFII was onboard. :rolleyes: We could file IFR but only go if we could prove to the Chief that our route would be through mostly VMC (meaning - we could pop into and out of clouds...just not remain in anything solid or do approaches down to mins). Anyway...I digress...just my $.02.

Way2Broke said:
Private students in actual? I'm sure that does the student alot of good <sarcastic>. I'd say that might even set yourself up for a private non instrument rated pilot that thinks it okay to blast off into IFR.
I do hope that you are joking? What better way is there to get your private pilot their three hours of IFR time than taking them into the clouds?

Latest resources

Back