• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No comment

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just saw about 40 rampers standing around a Delta jet in Atlanta an hour ago paying respects to a fallen warrior being offloaded on the ramp.

It was nice to see that today. Good show.

That won't make the news.

you're right, I'd forgotten about that, which makes it all the worse.... but having said this, the way DAL treats their FA's is de facto like they're a member of a union, this way they prevent them from voting one in..... it's 2 and a half, a dozen of the other...

That doesn't even make sense.

yeah it does, just ask around, I don't feel like going into a long winded discussion about it right now.

Most of the DL FA's don't want a union, because not having one is almost as good as having one, without the dues. Sure, you can get yourself into trouble if you do something wrong, but there are enough "union drives" to keep the company on "be nice mode." When the merger with NWA came along, those FAs had a different attitude. It had always been a fight between management and those FAs, so they were used to infighting, and used to having a union. This last vote was close, resulting in no current union, and now DL has to prove that they can co-exist without one, or the next union drive could be successful.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Thanks general. And they say you contribute nothing around here. Sheesh.

been saying this for two decades now, and I've even had other pilots look at me like I've got 3 eyes and landed form Mars.. Pray they don't allow cabotage, or Emirates, Korean Air, and Singapore will wipe Delta, United, USAir, et al off the face of the earth

Our airports in the US don't have the room for that. Most of the concourses are already full, and for a good reason. It is a struggle to try to get an extra gate at most busy airports.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Thanks general. And they say you contribute nothing around here. Sheesh.

Yeah, I try...... sometimes I do get under the skin of some people on here, and that might be because I am right.... But, overall, I enjoy the industry and even the banter on FI...

Have you done your IOE on the big bus yet? Any cool trips on IOE? Is it a lot different than the Evergreen 747 and Gemini MD11 you previously flew? Do you like it better? Take care.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Delta is definitely less military friendly than most. They do not treat their military reservists very well at all either according to those i know who work there and serve in the reserves. I am sure there are worse out there but Delta is definitely in the lower tier for respecting veterans. Sadly, most people do not really care since it doesn't affect their phone, internet, or cable TV. They will buy the ticket from the cheapest airline or the best rewards program regardless...it is what it is.

Yeah, I try...... sometimes I do get under the skin of some people on here, and that might be because I am right.... But, overall, I enjoy the industry and even the banter on FI...

Have you done your IOE on the big bus yet? Any cool trips on IOE? Is it a lot different than the Evergreen 747 and Gemini MD11 you previously flew? Do you like it better? Take care.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I'm all OE'd on the 717 now and got 60 hrs of inter island so far. Got more landings in the last month than the prior two years. :D

I'm awarded the 330 and start class sometime early next year. Hoping to bid west coast turns mainly and see home more often.

Europeans (I hate to say it) are simply better at unions than we are...the unions there (called trade unions) are more like guild.. they do a better job of policing their own than their management.. Here it's the opposite, a union seems to be the last one to protect the quality of who their company hires.. it's all about numbers and dues here, money, greed and power.. European trade unions actually vet their memebrship and the work ethic, professionalism and attitude towards the job and the customer are an order of magnitude better than it is here.

Cultural? maybe..

So do I believe that EVERYone should be in a union here in the USA? No... just those of us with professional licenses, education and a skill/standing that makes it so we need protection from the all mighty profit motive.

I don't think they do unions better in Europe. The main difference is that Europe's population is thankfully still very pro union which makes it politically dangerous to be seen as too aggressively anti union, therefore most companies have stopped their eternal war with them. Instead in many countries they integrate Union reps right into the management structure up to and including their Board of Directors. It leads to greater understanding of each others problems which makes for more honest compromises that benefit both sides. The end result is that both sides naturally must learn to coexist rather than continually attempt to wipe each other off the face of the earth.

By contrast, the US population has allowed itself to be swindled into believing that Unions are bad for the economy, etc resulting in a very hostile anti Union environment. This in turn allows most management to take incredibly aggressive anti worker positions without paying any political price. Add it all up and you have a recipe for very confrontational Labor relations.

Put another way, why should a worker feel loyalty or go above and beyond when he/she is constantly given the message that they don't matter and are totally replaceable whenever management feels like it? Blaming Unions for this state of affairs is like blaming the deer when some drunk hunter falls out of his blind and breaks his neck.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back