• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No arbitration in SWA and F9 deal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think there are a lot of guys expressing their own self interest. Spiffomatic- that was well worded- but it smells like you like the possibility of F9 being on your list than on SWAs. Of course you do. QUOTE]

Everyone has an angle, no doubt. And anyone who weighs in on this as a "disinterested third party" almost certainly has an angle as well.

I'm not going to vilify SWA. We're all looking for the best career option, whether we're at a regional or a major. SWA's been the flavor of the day for a while and many others have fallen in or out of favor. Plenty of us at RAH have stuck around for the past few years choosing to work towards improving things here rather than roll the dice at the bottom of United's list, or pre merger NWA's, or some middle east operation. Despite our many areas for improvement, those other companies seemed like pretty dumb moves to many of us.

I don't know if the airline paradigm is changing or not, or what will define a regional, or a major, or if that will matter, or what will make a profit in the future, but there will certainly be some winners and losers - I just don't want the losers to be the pilots in any case. I think RAH pilots realize that IF F9 comes here, we (all of the combined F9/RAH/YX/etc pilots) have an enormous responsibility to make sure that we make these jobs worth keeping and the aircraft worth flying - easy words to toss around, but if those jobs come here, they're now GONE at a place RAH pilots once might have applied to, and they're not going back, so we sure as he!! better make them worth being here, or they shouldn't be here at all.

Personally, I hold the F9 brand in pretty high regard. I think they're a better product than most out there and they've made great strides since some less than stellar moves a while back helped put them in the rock/hard-place spot they're in right now. I'd like to see them as an alternative to SWA in DEN whether or not we have anything to do with them - though I guess that's not a possibility anymore - the brand grows with us or it dies. Of the RAH "collection", F9 has by far the strongest following and name recognition, so that's something I don't think mgmt will mess with. I don't know what the initial moves would be in a RAH purchase, and perhaps it would result in some 190s replacing some of the smaller busses initially. I think this is a growth move though as there's room for this product, an economy that may finally be turning, and two airlines (F9, YX) that were already very trimmed and are producing good load factors. I am hopeful that our negotiating committee will find reasonable protection for F9 pilots affected by something like that, and I think that should be a precondition to a deal, but those issues will be hashed out above my level.

Either way, best of luck to the F9 pilots. As solid a group of people as I've ever run into.

Thats some good advise for someone that has no skin in the game. If your advise does not pan out are you going to compensate the F9 guys.

I think your the same guy that was saying buy GM at 40 bucks a share. :)

Heyas,

Wouldn't own GM if you gave it to me, and my "advise" is worth exactly what you pay for it. I'm just reminding the F9 guys that their company is probably worth more than what the SWA Spin Masters are telling them.

BTW:

Advise: verb (used with object) 1.to give counsel to; offer an opinion or suggestion as worth following: I advise you to be cautious.

I think what you were looking for is:

Advice: noun 1.an opinion or recommendation offered as a guide to action, conduct, etc.: I shall act on your advice.

Watch out at Midway...make sure you don't use the "breaks" rather than the "brakes"....:p

Nu

Heyas,

BTW:

Advise: verb (used with object) 1.to give counsel to; offer an opinion or suggestion as worth following: I advise you to be cautious.

Advice: noun 1.an opinion or recommendation offered as a guide to action, conduct, etc.: I shall act on your advice.

Watch out at Midway...make sure you don't use the "breaks" rather than the "brakes"....:p

Nu

HA brother your spitting into the ocean if your trying to teach me grammar, I went to UT :)

SWA management has been quoted numerous time saying unless labor agreements are in place there will be no buying of Frontier. From what I hear management doesn't want to have happen at SWA what happened at UsAir/America West.

That's smart. Hopefully you can wrap up a transition agreement and JCBA quickly.

Heyas,

Wouldn't own GM if you gave it to me, and my "advise" is worth exactly what you pay for it. I'm just reminding the F9 guys that their company is probably worth more than what the SWA Spin Masters are telling them.

BTW:

Nu

Not own GM right now...are you nuts!!! LAst week it sold at .39 today closed right around .63...how can you pass up 60% profits in one week?

OK, back to topic...

OH yeah..."HA brother your spitting into the ocean if your trying to teach me grammar, I went to UT :) "...please tell me you mean Tennessee and not Texas with that UT...;)

Last edited:
BWI crew lounge yesterday Gary Kelly stated the bid of F9 will not go through without SWAPA being on board. He said, "I don't want a US Air type of labor unrest here." Based on Carl's statements that, Craig Johnson the most junior will be taken care of, a staple is the only option. Probably with pay protection but he didn't talk about that. Just that the Morris guys were pay protected.

Based on these facts I guess the ball is in F9s court. Do you take a staple with pay protection or not?

It's a Swingline....Book it. Done.

There are worlds of differences between DAL/NWA and SWA/F9. any reasonable observer already knows most of them so I won't repeat the obvious.

M&As are messy. F9 is 'lucky' enough to have two bids pending.

Oh really? Apparently, they have something two other companies want.

I understand that Republics CEO has at best a "checkered" past when dealing with labor. Anyone have any background info on his dealings? I also understand that Republics bid is contingent on the F9 crews signing a new contract that keeps all the pay cuts, etc? Didn't Republic dismantle Midwest Airlines?

"Past performance is not indicative of future results" but RAH acquired Shuttle America when they were an all Saab fleet. The Saabs went away, but the pilots were integrated (not to everyone's liking of course) with Captains in a block more or less mid-list and FO's in a ratio below that. There was no staple despite the removal of the aircraft.

As for past dealings, if nothing else, the RAH contract is pretty crystal clear on having one single pilot group. I'm under the impression that that is flat-out mandatory as far as RAH pilots are concerned as well - there should be no opportunity for whipsaw of two groups, but you can read the specifics in the contract if you want to.

explain midwest and how 2/3s of their list is furloughed while E170s and E190s fly their routes in Midwest colors.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back