• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No arbitration in SWA and F9 deal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here's the chioce you have...convince your union leadership to come to an agreement with SWAPA and then vote yes. If SWA wins the auction, you just made your choice. If you get all militant, negotiations break down, and SWAPA politely asks SWA to pull out (and they comply as they said they would), there's your other choice. I agree this is a harsh reality. I don't envy your position. I truly wish you and your pilot group the best and I hope we can work this thing out.

shootr

Both incorrect

SWA will structure their bid such that the deal will not close unless and until labor agreements are reached. The deal is not likely to close until the end of the year. The auction will end on the 17th and then SWAPA and FAPA will have at least 30-45 days to come to an agreement. What they agree to will depend heavily on the details of how the purchase is structured.

RAH will not have a vote because they are a bidder and are legally obligated to recuse themselves from the decision.

Respectfully, this is not accurate.

RAH does not have to recuse themselves and, if you read their investment proposal, they have significant leverage with regard to who wins the auction.

The RAH investment proposal is available publicly at the epiq website. Due to the fact that they presented the first qualifying offer and binding proposal (the only binding proposal thus far) they were able to seriously stack the deck in their favor.

The auction will take place, in $1 Million dollar increments, next Tuesday. The "Successful Proposal" will be decided on that day. Due to the fact that SWA and SWAPA are now saying that they must have an agreement prior to submitting a binding proposal and the binding proposal must be in by the 10th, I am not sure how there will be any sort of a vote. The RAH investment proposal does allow for an extension up to the 17th, however, RAH has the right to deny that extension.

RAH, as the "white night" (first person to submit a binding proposal) has essentially written the rules of the game. They couldn't be further from recusing themselves.

I have little doubt that SWAPA wants to staple F9 pilots, but I also have little doubt that at the end of the day SWAPA will have little say in the acquisition and if F9 is acquired that the Bond-McCaskill bill will mandate A-M LPPs.

UOTE]
I beg to differ as the man said a couple of postings ago

"Swapa will have a legally binding way to stop the deal. The binding offer will have a contengency requiring a labor agreement between the pilot groups prior to closing of the transaction.

That is how the Swapa president can say with all certainty that this will not go to arbitration. We either come to agreement or the deal is off"

From where does the SWAPA President derive the power to prevent SWA from acquiring F9? Maybe you have it written in your contract, could you produce the contract language that would prevent management from acquiring F9 without SWAPA's approval? Not saying your management won't back down in the end, just wondering where SWAPA has the contractual and binding power to drive management's decisions with regards to this merger.

You may be right about having to integrate them but what's to stop them from furloughing them later on?

If they furlough, wouldn't that be done in inverse seniority order at SWA? Or does SWAPA's PWA allow for furloughs in other than inverse seniority order? If the F9 pilots are integrated, what makes you believe they will be stapled?

Isn't that what's being proposed at big D if not enough folks take the early out?

No.

You can't honestly believeyou folks are going to keep all the Delta and NWA's boys and girls are you with all your capacity reductions and "synergy" effects?

No furlough planned so far, not even mentioned, but things change in this industry, even believe it or not at SWA, but this isn't about DAL, so nice try at changing the subject.

Remember this company ain't run like yours. The puzzle palace folks actually give a rats behind about their employees and it's culture. It might suprise you but they actually do listen to their front line employees.....How novel.

Really, at DAL we had negotiated payraises, and equity before the merger was even announced. Last I saw you don't even have a TA.

Good luck with your merger with F9 if it goes through. Remember the "Golden Rule". One day it might be you.

Last edited:
If you get all militant, negotiations break down, and SWAPA politely asks SWA to pull out (and they comply as they said they would), there's your other choice.

If SWAPA has enough pull to prevent a merger that SWA management apparently really wants, why don't you have a new contract? Certainly management at SWA will give SWAPA whatever it wants.

If SWAPA has enough pull to prevent a merger that SWA management apparently really wants, why don't you have a new contract? Certainly management at SWA will give SWAPA whatever it wants.
SWA management has been quoted numerous time saying unless labor agreements are in place there will be no buying of Frontier. From what I hear management doesn't want to have happen at SWA what happened at UsAir/America West.

Ummmmm...if SWA wins, do i really have any choice whatsoever as to which company would be "better"?:cool:

If and when SWA gets the bid and you are offered a staple then you can decide if you want to go with them. If you really feel that it is not fair, just stay behind. You have to be honest with yourself. F9 pilots should not expect to come out of Chapter 11 and be in better shape than they went in. You are on life support. You should be excited to be able to get off of it and have a job with SWA. Yes, there is a possiblilty that some F9 pilots will be out in the street for a while. There are guys out in the street now so at least they would be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Gary has stated he will not go forward with the F9 deal unless SWAPA has sealed a labor deal with F9. If SWAPA and the F9 pilots cannot reach agreement then SWAPA will tell GARY a deal can't be reached and the deal is off. There will never be arbitration. I don't understand why that is so hard for some posters to understand.

Our SWAPA Pres stated yesterday that SW pilots will get to vote on any agreement reached between F9 and SWAPA. I would assume that all the F9 pilots would get to vote also. Basically it will come down to a choice between WN and Replublic.

Gary has stated he will not go forward with the F9 deal unless SWAPA has sealed a labor deal with F9. If SWAPA and the F9 pilots cannot reach agreement then SWAPA will tell GARY a deal can't be reached and the deal is off. There will never be arbitration. I don't understand why that is so hard for some posters to understand.

Maybe because this is the same thing that was told to the NWA and DAL pilots. I personally don't think SWA would do that to the SWA and F9 pilots. But the possibility is there.

Latest resources

Back