NMB to ASA: keep negotiating

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
they need to be replaced pronto...

You've waited this long and can't stomach another three months? This is your whole career they are fighting for right now. Just because the American public has been to blind to see the degradation of the middle class and continued to vote in anti-labor politicians doesn't mean your MEC or NC are not doing their job, it just means the are fighting a uphill battle. And they need your support, not just a give up and take what mgmt is offering attitude.

Turbo

the CNC has been promising for the last month that a release was 'definite' since the nmb was 'furious' with the company for their lack of effort. at my lunch with the CNC a few weeks ago durring recurrent JR and NT swore to my group that a release was imminent. i asked what they would do if we werent released since the summer was coming, and what if they didnt achieve their end game of a release, what if just maybe they are wrong - and i was told by Nt that I was listening to management too much.

I heard exactly the same thing, and it seemed as this was our strategy. Maybe our CNC purposly stalled out the last session hoping to get more with a release. I don't know, I think that was a poor strategy. You have to remember, this is no longer about the middle class or getting what you want or think you deserve! What did the ACA guys 'want' from United? Did they ultimately achieve getting what they want? How about Air Wisconsin? How about more recently....Comair? (Yes, bankrupcy, I know) Mesaba? Management has a leg up in one respect. They are diluting their brands to enable crafty ways to keep costs down. Skywest type rates and contract is basically on the table. Ok, we want Express Jet rates. Well, look at what is happening to them now. They are forced to undercut othere airlines and try to get flying at super-low margins, one thing Skywest is unwilling to do! What if their stand-alone does not last? Where will they be then? We can puff our chests out and say it is up us to raise the bar for the industry (laughable), or raise our current standard in pay (yes, there is pay increases - maybe not what some want or think they deserve) and hugh leaps in QOL. If you are on reserve, or going to be on reserve wouldn't you like the new reserve rules? If you commute, wouldn't you like the new commuter policy? Would you not like the more freedom in trip swapping or open time? These not only are QOL, but have an economic impact, and we are losing every day. What about scheduling? In the initial polling, the overwhelming majority of pilots said these were the number 1 issues and concerns they wanted addressed! Well, they are awaiting. Now, we change course. I do not think right now one list or scope binding Skywest is achievable. So, what is plan B? How about a contract that benefits us in drastic ways, and keeps us competitive not only for keeping our current flying, but to get new flying...maybe for an additional Mainline Partner. That would mean growth, hiring, upgrades and more domicile choices. We have lost out on some of these opportunities because of these dragging negotiations.

So much of these negotiations seem personal. The MEC seems more interested in fighting management and pointing fingers than coming to an equitable solution. I, for one think it is fair to receive a bonus to enhance my income. Just sit down and agree to one. We are demanding it be based on the profits of Skywest Airlines as well as our ASA side. Why is that? Skywest pilots do not receive their bonus plan based on ASA's profits. Just their side. Lets compromise on that....and it's done! One less thing. Agree to Skywest rates plus 1%, and if the raise theirs over the life of the contract, we match it......voila! Two done. What else? Retro. Well, we just gave in on a couple issues, so now the company can give in a little here and raise their offer. 3 down. See how it works. We stay competetive. Get the contract over. Get some new planes, maybe a new code share and enjoy our bigger paychecks and QOL improvements we all have screamed for for so long.

Can't we be reasonable?

Last edited:
Beyond Silly....

I can say both sides are to blame here. I hear that the company offered us exactly what Comair had years ago-but that wasn't "good enough." Now the company ain't offering us diddly.
Can you blame them?

We have been behaving like morons this whole negotiation cycle. We let ourselves get roped into that insane "interest-based bargaining" b.s.! That was a total waste of over two years!

I agree with Skipper-let's get what we can and get out of this silliness. The CNC has done their fair share of goofy stuff as well as the company. We simply are not going to get the moon and the stars-management knows what they are dealing with here-and it ain't exactly the A-Team.

I think we need to get rid of the concept of pilot-negotiators next time. These guys might try hard, but they have no professional experience. For what we have spent on all these guys negotiating over the past half-decade, we probably could have saved money by going with a professional negotiating firm that knows what the hell is going on. I'll bet we wouldn't be in this mess now.

That interest-based-bargaining stupidity is the main reason I am so averse to the way we have done things-any professional would never have agreed to that mess!

-Let's get real!

The amazing thing is that some people are actually surprised by this..... Based on our current table position.... and the current environment, we will not be released.....

i am not giving up turbo - never will. i feel - as did about 15 of the 20 guys in my recurrent class - that what was currently on the table from the company is a fair deal. i feel that the CNC is out of touch - i disagreed with their 'belief' and i was right. i was openly told i was wrong to my face when i offered a different opinion.

the CNC seems to be under the single mindset that if a release was accomplished the outcome would be a win not matter what for alpa - JA gives in and we get the greatest contract ever - or we strike and do down as martyrs.

i am not willing to sacrifice my future on the beliefs of a few alpa individuals who are (in my view) in this for themselves.

they were sure - they were wrong - they need to change course.

Has anyone on here actually gone on the website and looked at the current proposal from the CNC? Middle of the road at best on the 200/ATR, less than Express jet, just slightly above Chatauqua, who by the way is going to start negotiations soon. The 700 rates are the second highest, for now as I said you have alot of groups starting negotiations, however that is still only a 3% increase over current book. The main issues holding us up are scope and back pay. Personally, the current proposal rates are already to low for me, I will not sign without scope, and I doubt it will happen but I want 100% retro. Now if that is to much for you turncoats to stomach then why aren't you trying to find another job. And if you are trying to find another job then stop trying to sabotage this current negotiations. Joe I know you are a lifer, no need to respond.

For those of you kind enough to read my thread on the "silent majority", I thank you.

As I stated on that thread, WITH OUR CURRENT DEMANDS ON 50 SEAT RATES WE WILL NOT BE RELEASED!!!! I also pointed out that the ALPA reps have already acknowledged that the current ASA offer would pass at around 60%. So imagine this:

We lower our pay demands to "at or near" current SKW rates and work instead on liveable COLA increases over the contract. Use the remainder of any negotiating capital on what we can acheive in scope. (we ain't gettin single list....the mona lisa aint for sale) Instead of damning the company to extinction with full retro, work for a more acheivable $5mil or so signing bonus.

The best scope on a deal like this is that there is no economical advantage to disassemble ASA. Contrare: we are now a stable, cost competitive regional with known costs ready to bid on more flying where SKW inc simply can't go. (due to no compete clauses)

I'm betting the 60% silent majority becomes 75+ right away.

outahere - how are we turncoats if we are happy with what we could get now? most of us are only now beginning to realize all of the benefits already TA'd in the new contract. how about you find somewhere else to go where you can get all those happy things you want without the real possibility of screwing it for the rest of us.

guess what - you are the minority and every day more and more lemmings like yourself are fading away.

you can say all those tough-guy things - beat yourself on the chest all you want. call us turncoats for being informed and making our own decisions after listening to all the arguments.

most of us want a contract that is good for us and the company - whether you plan and stay here or not. the top 100 pilots may not love it - but they are still above most of their peers in the industry.

our union leadership is no longer listening to their members. i respect your right to your opinion though i heartily disagree with it, it is not in our best interest - i challenge you to keep this professional and above the waist.

turncoat to you - but you keep making me feel like a prophet...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back