NJI Response/No Response

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Diesel said:
I can't really tell you whats going on a public message board but it's in the works. It's just not done yet. Should be soon though.

Well crap! Wish I'd known you already know what's going to happen to NJI...no need to post from our side, then. I, for one, no longer will. Hope the rest of your curious/inquisitive buds here caught your post above so they can quit asking dumb, premature questions about NJI. Fill 'em in soon as you can please!

zman300 said:
I can't believe anyone honestly thought they were coming over STRAIGHT into a PIC position. 4 Stripes, yes...captain pay, sure...G-IV type, no problem...but PIC right off the bat? Uhhhhhh....

Just a dumb Part 121 guy here trying to learn more about NJA and NJI....but why not PIC right off the bat if that person's seniority will allow it? At my airline we have guys checked out as Capt in a new aircraft that they have never flown before all the time. They just complete the required training...sims, and a type rating ride in the sim, followed by Approx 25 to 30 hours IOE in the jet, and then they are the Capt. I mean...if a guy has been a Falcon Capt at NJA for 5 years, what's the big deal about becoming a Capt on the G-IV or G-V right away?

Archie Bunker said:
Just a dumb Part 121 guy here trying to learn more about NJA and NJI....but why not PIC right off the bat if that person's seniority will allow it? At my airline we have guys checked out as Capt in a new aircraft that they have never flown before all the time. They just complete the required training...sims, and a type rating ride in the sim, followed by Approx 25 to 30 hours IOE in the jet, and then they are the Capt. I mean...if a guy has been a Falcon Capt at NJA for 5 years, what's the big deal about becoming a Capt on the G-IV or G-V right away?

Yes, well, "25-30 hrs. IOE in the jet." Your airline has decided that's adequate, and at least they have a guideline. But we're talking here about NONE. Type check in the sim, and wham, you da man?! I don't know, but I've never received any kind of training where I walked out of a virtual box and was given the keys to an airplane. We all know the sim is a far cry from the real thing, and I don't know about you, but I wouldn't say I was proficient or highly knowledgeable in any airplane after the initial type check. But I'm just a simple man :)

zman300 said:
But we're talking here about NONE. Type check in the sim, and wham, you da man?! I don't know, but I've never received any kind of training where I walked out of a virtual box and was given the keys to an airplane.

So let me see if I have this right. At NJI, there is never any IOE on the actual aircraft after initial training? No line time given by any company check airman to insure company SOP's are being done properly? Sounds strange to me, but who am I to know.:confused:

X

I've allways been surprised that at my wife's company once you're the captain and you switch planes you don't spend any time in the right seat after ioe to get more time in the airplane. I think a lot of it has to do that you have a lot of support in the 121 world and see most of all the same airports.

At NJA when we I moved from the Ultra to the X i still had to get 50 hours in the plane before i could be released in the aircraft. I'm sure it's the same way between the GIV and GV.

We do a lot of whacky stuff that sometimes really isn't the normal stuff like ILS to ILS like the 121 world. A approach into ase is a fine example.

If NJI wants to keep captains in the right seat till they get 100 hours or so that's fine. There are some things that these planes do that only time and experience in the plane will show you.

XTW said:
So let me see if I have this right. At NJI, there is never any IOE on the actual aircraft after initial training? No line time given by any company check airman to insure company SOP's are being done properly? Sounds strange to me, but who am I to know.:confused:X

My thoughts exactly.

I fly for Delta, and I can only speak for them, but everyone that finishes their type rating ride (Capt), or proficiency check (F/O) in the sim flys with a Line Check Airman for his first rotation (20-25 hrs), then receives a line check. The new Capt also gets to have the Feds ride along for a leg or two for his FAA line check. Once that is completed, the new Capt signs for the aircraft, and is in command.

I was just curious as to why NJI would require some senior NJA Capt (typically a person senior enough to hold the left seat of the G-IV or G-V) to be an F/O for a year or two. Seems stupid to me, but I have no experience in the NJA/NJI world.

Have you guys hashed out the seniority integration rules yet once NJI is taken into the fold in 3 years, or is this a touchy subject?

i can't speak for the NJI guys but I assume that if you are a capt in the 4 and you move to capt in the 5 there is some timeframe... 50 hours probably before you get released.

In the X i think the min time before you are released after IOE being a captain is 100 hours. You can have them release you at 50 if you feel fine about it.

I really think the reason it's there is because we are our own company when out on the road. The company gives you the credit card and says you've got our support for anything you need but you have to make the decision. It's stupid stuff too like trying to show the fueler that the Single point is in the front of the plane not in the back with the lav. Trying to figure out how to make a problem reset itself or what your minimums are for going into a 4500 foot field with blowing wind.

I know it sounds weird but trust me you need extra time in a new plane just to figure out how that fleet does everything. Also the time flying with another captain can be invaluable showing you the ropes on the plane before you take command of it yourself.

First of all, the GIV is no harder to fly than anything else, although the FMS can be quite a handful. The brakes are rather difficult to operate smoothly. Y'all will enjoy it thoroughly, and we will welcome you to NJI. We have a good time, and our corporate culture is absolutely first rate! Congratulations on the new contract!
The only thing my fellow dudes and dudettes are saying about NJA is how glad we are the conflict is over, so we can all go back to doing what we enjoy, namely getting paid to eat at good restaurants.:beer:

Latest resources

Back