• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJ Recalls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't have a dog in this fight and to a certain extent I agree with you but I think you are being a bit disingenuous. You are comparing someone who didn't bother to finish college to someone who was accepted to MIT and was in college at Purdue when the war broke out. Armstrong left college to serve in the war and then finished up when he returned and eventually earned a masters degree in aeronautical engineering. No comparison. I would argue that his success was due in a large part to his education as his most notable achievements occurred after he earned his degree. The fact is that it's the airlines sandbox and they set the rules so you can argue your point till your blue in the face, won't change a thing.

Bingo-Armstrong had the smarts and motivation to start college before he flew off carriers. Those who don't typically struggle as pilots.

Spoke with a repositioning Netjets XL pilot last night on my flight. Said he was exhausted on every tour lately. Obviously the XL fleet is a workhorse fleet - are there other fleets that don't work so hard comparatively? He mentioned the Sovereign also works very hard recovering for broken Xs and G200s... Are all fleets under crewed and stretched?

BTW, when can we expect to see the new Latitude on the line? Is it basically an XL replacement? How many ordered?

Last edited:
Spoke with a repositioning Netjets XL pilot last night on my flight. Said he was exhausted on every tour lately. Obviously the XL fleet is a workhorse fleet - are there other fleets that don't work so hard comparatively? He mentioned the Sovereign also works very hard recovering for broken Xs and G200s... Are all fleets under crewed and stretched?

BTW, when can we expect to see the new Latitude on the line? Is it basically an XL replacement? How many ordered?
Just about every fleet is working their tail off..... the XL, Sovereign, and X are feeling most of the "love" while the G200 is currently the company "hangar queen."

Funny he lumped the X in with the G200... the X has had higher dispatch reliability numbers than the XL for some time now.....

The Latitude is expected to show up sometime around 2016. Presently, there are 25 firm orders with 125 options.

Last edited:
Bingo-Armstrong had the smarts and motivation to start college before he flew off carriers. Those who don't typically struggle as pilots.

Hold it you mean Armstrong gets credit for some college making him a good pilot? I thought if you didn't have a four year degree you were not capable of being accepted as a good pilot. This college degree thing on FI is an all or nothing counts thing. Although I know it has nothing to do with flying an airplane
BTW. All those Navcad pilots I flew with in the 60s had two year of college and they were all exceptional sticks. They were hired at majors without degrees

Last edited:
I'm going to tell you what you need to hear and not what you want to hear:

Going to College has absolutely nothing to do with how well some one can fly an airplane!

But it has everything to do with being paid well to fly an airplane. You can have fun being top gun, i'll be content providing a good lifestyle for my family.

I flew without a degree and then I flew with a degree. There didn't seem to be much difference in the before and after flying, but I did learn a couple of new words.

I'm going to tell you what you need to hear and not what you want to hear:

Going to College has absolutely nothing to do with how well some one can fly an airplane!
could not agree more

Latest resources

Back