• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJ Recalls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Uh huh, which is why we need a decent raise just to keep the payscale equivalent to what it was when the 2007 contract passed in terms of buying power today. Everyone knew at the time there would be no inflation adjustment unless the contract was extended, and everyone, save G4, understands that we need a raise to keep the same buying power as we had when the contract was first passed.

Imacdog,

I honestly don't want to argue with you, but you're still not getting what I'm saying because you still think you should use 2007 buying power as your benchmark. Assume a pilot got a raise to 140K per year in 2007. Seven years later, he would have received 980,000 actual dollars. However, The NPV of 140K per year for 7 years at 3 percent inflation is $794,164 or 113,452 per year in 2007 dollars. At 2 percent, which is closer to where we've really been in the past 7 years, it would be 121,696 per year in 2007 dollars. It's a false premise to use 140K because that's not what you negotiated. You negotiated 140K per year for 7 years. At two percent assumed inflation, the assumed pilot could have received a raise to 121,696 per year plus 2 percent cola and it would have been exactly equal to 140K per year for 7 years. It's just math.

note: To be fair, I compounded monthly because I'm too lazy to build a spreadsheet, but this is pretty close and illustrates my point. Compounding every 12 months to represent annual instead of monthly COLA increases would give you a slightly higher 2007 equivalent salary.

Fight for as much as you think you can get. I'm just pointing out the academic inaccuracy of using the 2007 buying power as your starting point. That's not what was negotiated or agreed to by the bean counters. They understand and think in terms of NPV. Most pilots probably don't.

Swa is wildly profitable and has been for 40 years in a row.

SWA has an increasingly senior complement of captains, driving cost per mile higher, especially since SW was conceived as a low cost carrier, I believe. I see storm clouds on the horizon for them,like what Delta and United, et al, went through. Hopefully I am wrong. Usually am.

Imacdog,

I honestly don't want to argue with you, but you're still not getting what I'm saying because you still think you should use 2007 buying power as your benchmark. Assume a pilot got a raise to 140K per year in 2007. Seven years later, he would have received 980,000 actual dollars. However, The NPV of 140K per year for 7 years at 3 percent inflation is $794,164 or 113,452 per year in 2007 dollars. At 2 percent, which is closer to where we've really been in the past 7 years, it would be 121,696 per year in 2007 dollars. It's a false premise to use 140K because that's not what you negotiated. You negotiated 140K per year for 7 years. At two percent assumed inflation, the assumed pilot could have received a raise to 121,696 per year plus 2 percent cola and it would have been exactly equal to 140K per year for 7 years. It's just math.

note: To be fair, I compounded monthly because I'm too lazy to build a spreadsheet, but this is pretty close and illustrates my point. Compounding every 12 months to represent annual instead of monthly COLA increases would give you a slightly higher 2007 equivalent salary.

Fight for as much as you think you can get. I'm just pointing out the academic inaccuracy of using the 2007 buying power as your starting point. That's not what was negotiated or agreed to by the bean counters. They understand and think in terms of NPV. Most pilots probably don't.

That's nice. You're right though in that it isn't appropriate to start with 2007 buying power, as that would be too low.

The way to do it is to compare the compensation in Constant 2007 dollars of a pilot in say years 8-15... to a Pilot just hitting year 8 today. The compensation in a new agreement over those years must be adjusted to the same value in constant 2007 dollars.

As of today 8 years of inflation applied to the 2007 pay scales would bring us back to equal with those numbers.

Its about 17.5 % across the board just to get even. But still puts us way short of SWA+1%

I don't think certain people's secretaries should be paying their pilot's on discount airlines MORE than certain billionaire's pay their pilots on private jets... on top of the indignity of the secretary paying higher taxes than the billionaire

Last edited:
With ALL due respect, that is exactly what UAL and Delta pilots said several years ago when they were paid so much both companies almost went kaput.
It is rationalizing exorbitantly high pay.

Not a good comparison. Our company is making money hand over fist...they were not. And the money troubles they were having were NOT related to pilot compensation, but by poor management. They started making more money, everyone got big raises, and guess what...both are doing even better after the raises. Ask any DAL pilot about their most recent bonus check (which BTW is not given on terms of never being sick, never having a broken airplane, bad WX, etc). It can be done, and it has been done, and it has been successful.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back