• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

News Anchor does story on regional pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think one of the toughest misperceptions to overcome is the idea of "paying your dues" that the public still holds.

I still hear it; the idea that, "...Sure they make dirt at first but it more than evens out in the end when they all will make well into the six figures..."

Until all the legacy guys are gone it will be tough to get the truth out and I'm sure management knows it and isn't worried.

Knee jerk..

This kind of story could also backfire on everyone, in that the media editor could decide to put a twist on the story to sell more papers and ask the public the question "are you really safe" this could cause alot of panic and cost us passengers. Its not real likely, however we have all seen how the press can take things out of context to suit there own needs.

I would suggest to run as fast as you can from this story, If your are identified "EVER" your name will be finished with all airlines.....you better be prepared to start another career..

The industry will need 20,000 new pilots

Geez, $60K in educational fees for a $17K job? How does a 20 year old kid get an educational loan for that amount? Heck, I didn't even have a credit card until I was 35! Have these kids really done there their homework with regards to opportunities after graduating from ERAU/COMAIR/GIA etc...? Who in there right mind would put themselves behind the eightball for such a crappy paying job. I mean, my first 135 job in air ambulance paid $36K to start! Even a Part 135 in 402s pays in the 30's. No degree required. Heck, my neighbor is an FA at American and he makes $65K!! No the problem is that these kids want it now and they are not looking at the industry with an objective eye. They fall prey to these "airline" schools. Simply put, the regional aviation industry is a BIG LIE followed by huge disappointment. Thank God for corporate aviation.

DYLIN said:
Yeah really. Mention things like pilots have more relaxed rest requirements than truck drivers. Describe the whole process of how the 8 hours of "rest" turns into 4-5 hours of sleep. There are so many things to cover in this report; at the very least you should do the silhouette/altered voice type of interview, if not interviewing with a bunch of other pilots.

Ditto on Dylin's thoughts. I think the public would freak if they got a look see at some of these schedules we fly. Especially when set next to the new trucking rest requirements. Shocking to say the least. Next add the pay issue.........

This article will only point out what W.C. Fields has already said..."there's sucker born every minute!"

At the very least it will (albeit modestly) help to destroy the myth that all pilots are paid gobbs of cash. It could result in fewer people going into the industry. Would this be all bad?

Who cares what "joe public" thinks....tell it the way it is!

<<<<<<<<<<<<< They fall prey to these "airline" schools. Simply put, the regional aviation industry is a BIG LIE followed by huge disappointment >>>>>>>>>>>>

Yeah, and look how quickly they start bit-ch-ing about how they are underpaid and how all their peers at other regionals have already upgraded. How true to a sucker being born every minute.

This story would require a half-hour at the least. An hour special on national news would be much better, then all angles could be reported on in full.
If this is just for a local news, don't do it, 2-4 minutes just isn't enough time for a story of this magnitude.

typical pilots...

really think for ONE minute that the general public really cares how little you make??

all they would say is:

"what kind of educated adult would get out of bed for 17K/yr?"

"to see the susnset from my cockpit office"....thanks dude, keep it (and the 17K)

as said many times -- sucker born every minute.

and that about sums it up in my opinion!

Latest resources

Back