News Anchor does story on regional pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

EUT

I had an interesting conversation last night with a guy who lives in my parents’ neighborhood. He is a news anchor with the largest market-share local TV station in the area. He asked me how I liked my job, and I said something like “Its great, I just wish it paid a little better.” (I am a first year-FO with one of the bigger regionals) He looked at me a little puzzled and said what they all say… “I thought pilots made good money” I told him my annual salary was about 17K / year, and he about fell over he was so stunned. Up to that point I thought we were just having a casual conversation, but then he says to me “ I can’t believe with the responsibility you carry that you are paid that poorly.” What do you say? I just shrugged. Then he says “ I want to do a news story on this. People would be stunned to know that starting pilots make so little.” I said Okay. Then I realized he was serious and that’s when I got nervous. I have been working for years to get this job with this company, and I don’t have to tell all of you how many guys would love to take my place. So the last thing I want to do is start making waves my first year on the job, and then have some “trouble” on my next PC. I also happen to work a non-union airline, which makes me all the more nervous about talking to the media in any way that would reflect badly on my company.

I would love to get the word out on how ridiculous regional pilot salaries are, but not at the expense of my own job… I’ve worked too hard to get here. So, I mentioned that to the news anchor, and he said “We could silhouette you, altar your voice, etc.. or you could find some other guys who would be willing to take that risk. So that is where you guys come in. If you are a regional pilot making less than $20k / year, and would be willing to talk to this guy please PM me with your name, phone number, company name, and Email, and I will forward the info to the anchor. Also, If you think of comparisons that might add edge to the story feel free to make a suggestion. For instance: I thought it might make a good photo op to have a pilot in full uniform standing line for food stamps (yes, I get food stamps) or a copy of my last paycheck for a whopping $632.56 or a piece about a pilot who has a wife, two kids and still lives in his parents’ basement because 17K barely pays subsidized rent, let alone a house payment. Etc.. I also wondered if they would be interested in doing a story on that safety hazards of airlines like Gulfstream, and Tab renting out the right seat to “wannabes” What do you think?
EUT

Last edited:
I wish I was at the regional level so I could be involved in this report. I do very much like his response, though. Complete surprise, which is what the public would be in as well.

I think that I just shelled out 7th year Captain pay at my company for an auto mechanic to "look" at my car to tell me what was wrong with it.

He must be skilled labor, I wonder what college he went to... I would have asked, but he would have needed to put his teeth in his mouth and put his beer down to answer me...

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

What do I think? I think...

...it's sensationalistic to show a pilot in full uniform collecting food stamps.

The public is so cynical and skeptical right now of everything they see on TV that the ridiculous image of a pilot collecting food stamps will automatically trigger their "BS" flags.

A better story would have more flesh:

--Low wages and long duty days.

--Reduced rest/stand up over-nights.

--Training and education costs.

--Buy-outs/mergers, a la, TWA/American.

--Reckless management, a la, USAir/United/Eastern.

Call me cynical and skeptical but I think the reporter, though well intentioned, is pissing into the wind.

The public will never shake their perception of the pilot as anything but brave, confident, rich, knowledgeable and devestatingly handsome.:cool:

Yeah really. Mention things like pilots have more relaxed rest requirements than truck drivers. Describe the whole process of how the 8 hours of "rest" turns into 4-5 hours of sleep. There are so many things to cover in this report; at the very least you should do the silhouette/altered voice type of interview, if not interviewing with a bunch of other pilots.

I think that this is a great opportunity to get the word out. Make sure to tell them of all the struggles it takes just to get where you are. I have been instructing for two years now just got to 1000/200, and am becoming marketable at the regional level, but will be starting my new non-aviation job on tuesday. 65,000 in student loans, bills, and living exp. add up to more than my paycheck every two weeks, and my credit is going down the drain. And I was working 70+ hours a week, 7 days a week. The depressing thing is that a job at a regional would be a small pay cut. Not trying to whine, but I am just one of many that have to give up their dream, just to make sure that I don't have to go to bed hungry anymore at night.

“ I can’t believe with the responsibility you carry that you are paid that poorly.”
The media thing could backfire. After all, if a guy is dumb enough to stick 80,000 into an education and years worth of work, to net a 17,000.00 a year job...should we really be trusting him with our lives?

here we go again...

it's extremely sensitive to do a story on this matter..
not from the subject involved...but the responsibility that the reporter is about to shoulder.

is this man a news reporter...or a JOURNALIST. is his degree in mass media...or journalism? has he always wanted to be on TV or does he do this cause hes always wanted to be a journalist? ...that single word carrys alot of weight and more credibility than anyone else whose NOT a journalist. it signifies what he HAS to stand up for and do correctly...or he cant call himself one....well he could call himself a BAD one.

if he is able to remain 100% objectionable, 100% informative, and show BOTH sides of the story equally...then go with it.

if he is not, if he can only inform the people "how bad it is" and is gung-ho about making a point on "how serious this matter is" without showing WHY its this way fairly without attitude...then i would pass...and tell him why youre passing. because your going to represent the industry of the pilots and the airlines. and make sure that if you do, PLEASE present your information.....and not youre personal bone to pick about the industry pay (you knew the pay when you got hired). he could hurt both parts of the industry by using a "poor light". there is nothing more serious than the growing epidemic of backhanding the ethics of fair news reporting just to get attention. if you all would like to read about the proper way things NEED to be done, i'll give you the following code of ethics from the society of professional journalists (SPJ). any serious journalist worth his or her salt is a member.

http://www.spj.org/ethics_code.asp

all of these codes have been forgotten about. because the reporting of sensationally shocking news dosent seem credible at all...and once the left wing people are able to make us believe that this regular news is no good at what it does (thank you all of you Rush Limbaugh clones), then noone believes the news profession as worthy information, they panic and try to 'sell' you the news as entertainment.....ala FOX...and then youve lost your entire ability to get ANY good news....ever! dig out the short wave ant tune up the BBC.

now, for a scenario-like example of how the news struggles with the decisions on what to do and how to do it right.....heres more practical ethics for you in a link.

http://www.rtnda.org/ethics/priddy.shtml

i guess im asking this, is the guy going to do a good fair job and not "sell" the news? and will you also do the same? will your info be taken seriously and un-manipulated for efffect? alot can be said by the look of the report. the tone of the report. the attitude of the report.

wheres Bobbysamd? he used to do this stuff i think. any comment Bobby?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back