Newhire CAL Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LJDRVR said:
Where did he claim to be a notch above everybody else? Where did he say civilian guys doidn't pay their dues? What's with the axe to grind?

The reason you don't get MIL Leave or a retirement benefit is that you chose not to serve. Those who volunteer to risk their lives for the rest of us get compensated to do it. FedEx even pays the difference if you're going to lose money on you drill wekend. That's how it should be. Nobody was stopping you from joining up.

Sorry Bro, but you're the one who comes across with an attitude.

I didn't CHOOSE not to serve. I'm another one of those lucky guys who didn't quite have the vision requirement. The taxpayers got a break and I paid for my own flight training and it looks like my own retirement now too. I would have happily risked my life for my country oh high and mighty one. Your burden is one I would have paid for and I doubt I'm the only one.

SkyWestCRJPilot said:
My wife and two young kids and I are all living with my inlaws. It's not fun. I just hit my six month mark and got health insurance. Myself, wife, and daughter were on the $1000 deductible short term insurance for around $305/month and my son was on Cobra for $232/month because of a pre-existing condition the short term plan wouldn't cover. So from $537/mo we are now down to $124/month with Continental's health plan. That's like a $400 pay raise.

Like everyone said, the pay extremely sucks. I took a $50,000 pay cut but made the decision to come here knowing I have 27 years left in the industry. In six months I should be almost back to what I was making before. Until then it sucks and we will survive. We saved up a bit last year so we have a small cushion but we only get by by living with the inlaws. I've met only one other CAL newhire that has kids and a wife that stays at home. He does it by taking out a huge home equity loan to live off. Everyone else can seem to only do it by having the wife work, not having kids, being single, and/or having the guard.

Check out AirlinePilotPay.com. It'll show that most of the other airlines have crappy first year pay, Southwest and Fedex excluded. But other than these two CAL is the only one hiring. The one thing I vow to do is to push hard for CALALPA in the next and all future contracts to provide a livable wage to first year pilots. Even $40/hr and medical from day one is just a starting point.

I commend you on the sacrafices you've made to get where you are and I hope you do have 27 years of flying ahead of you at CAL, but who knows what will happen 27 days from now in the pax industry.

I commend you on the sacrifices you've made to get where you are and I hope you do have 27 years of flying ahead of you at CAL, but who knows what will happen 27 days from now in the pax industry.

You are right about "who knows what will happen 27 days from now" but you have to try and make the best long term decision you can if you want to work for an airline. As you can see from my Avatar, I am the perfect example of what can happen in the industry. I'm working on my 6th airline in 11 years and I'm only 36. (USAir Express + Avatar Airlines)

If a person is nervous about coming to CAL then they should not look to the airlines for a career. CAL is doing pretty well considering the market and they are positioning themselves for the future. (Building cash and buying newer more fuel efficient planes) I feel more comfortable about CAL's future then any other airline that I have worked for. They are retiring almost half the seniority list in the next 10 years and growing 5-7% on top of that. It could all change tomorrow and the first year pay does suck but I think the reward outweighs the risks.

I think Hawk said it, he chose to go elsewhere because of the crappy contract. It is all based on who you are and where you are in life. If you don't want it then move on because there are over 10,000 people who do. With a wife, mortgage, and a kid on the way I'm making it work. It sucks but thankfully I had a strike fund built up because of my previous employer's (ASA) ineptitude to negotiate. It is a short term loss (1 year) for a long term gain (31 years). If you want the job bad enough you will find a way to make it work.

Plug.... at 29 (it sounds like), the world is your oyster. It looks like you have good flight time and a good attitude. The only mistake you've make along the way is getting married too young, but with a kid on the way you'll have to suck that up. Good luck getting through that first year and I'll be seeing on the line friend. Welcome aboard!

Getter said:
Plug....
...The only mistake you've make along the way is getting married too young, but with a kid on the way you'll have to suck that up. ..

Thanks for the personal opinion :)

I got married at 23 and started having kids right away and all of my professional dreams came true because of my family. It's sad that so many people think that having a family could slow you down.

Welcome aboard, Plug and good luck!

The only mistake you've make along the way is getting married too young, but with a kid on the way you'll have to suck that up.

Before I was married my career was pretty stable. It wasn't until after I got married and had kids that everything went to sh&*T. Don't put your life on hold for the airlines... If it wasn't for my wife's job I wouldn't have had health insurance or any income a few times in the past 3.5 years.

It was kind of a joke. With 8,000 hours I'd think you are well out of your 20's anyway. I've also needed my wife to come through during the lean times and wouldn't have it any other way.

Getter said:
Plug.... at 29 (it sounds like), the world is your oyster. It looks like you have good flight time and a good attitude. The only mistake you've make along the way is getting married too young, but with a kid on the way you'll have to suck that up. Good luck getting through that first year and I'll be seeing on the line friend. Welcome aboard!

Thanks dude, starting 6 days of reserve in sewark on Friday!

It was kind of a joke. With 8,000 hours I'd think you are well out of your 20's anyway. I've also needed my wife to come through during the lean times and wouldn't have it any other way.

Did I mention it was my third wife and I'm not really sure if they are my kids? HAHA!! :beer:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back