• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New UAL hiring info- I think.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry dude...not my past failure. Im just stating the facts......

Your posts remind me of a one of my favorite lines from a movie.

"You've been weighed....you've been measured.....
and you've been found... Wanting."

Sort of fits.

Your posts remind me of a one of my favorite lines from a movie.

"You've been weighed....you've been measured.....
and you've been found... Wanting."

Sort of fits.

Your posts remind me of a quote from one of my more favorite lines from a movie as well:

"You CANT handle the truth."

And I wouldnt say that "sort of fits," but rather, it fits to the tee.

Give it up!

I mean you Guitar Rocker~!

Your posts remind me of a quote from one of my more favorite lines from a movie as well:

"You CANT handle the truth."

And I wouldnt say that "sort of fits," but rather, it fits to the tee.

The truth is....like the overwhelming majority of pilots at UAL I am a white male. Looks like I handled the truth and the INTERVIEW very well.

But you can have the last word...I'm sure that the rest of the crowd is tired of our bickering.

Keeping this thread on track...

Candidates that passed the LaserGrade are called by HR to set up an interview on tuesday, wednesday, or thursday....morning or afternoon.

Those who did not "pass" the LaserGrade (from what I have heard at the APC forums) are notified via email.

Good Luck out there!

ZP

1- Who does UAL Prep?

2- Is the gouge from 2000-2001 current?

HELP!

1- A quick google search was not promising. I'd go to any reputable generic prep course; they'll get likely have the latest gouge.

2- Very doubtful. The interview went through a huge change for the better once Nancy Stuke departed. Under Roger Vesely, the interviews were more balanced - unfortunately, Roger has since left United.

This might help; hate to post it here to feed the flames of UAL-haters, but whatever gets them through the day. From UAL MEC:

AGENDA ITEM NO. 209
UAL-MEC Membership Committee Report
July 2007
Statistics
At the end of June 2007, ALPA International’s records show that there are 8,126 pilots on the United Seniority List. There are 6,488 Active members, 394 on Military Leave, 108 on Personal Leave, 824 on Furlough status, and 136 Non-members. The UAL pilot group remains the largest dues-paying pilot group within ALPA. ALPA-wide, there are 48,199 Active members, 1,233 on Military Leave, 602 on
Personal Leave, and 3,965 on Furlough status. The airlines with the largest number of dues members are United – 6,488 (13.46%), Delta – 5,887 (12.21%), Northwest – 4,480(9.29%), Federal Express – 4,178 (8.67%), Continental – 3,965 (8.23%), US Airways –
2,524 (5.24%) and America West – 1,668 (3.46%).
Returning Pilots
With the Returning Pilot classes in May, June, and July 2007 (22 pilots/27pilots/26pilots) and planned RPT classes for August and September (1 class each month), the Company has extended offers of return to UAL to all furloughed pilots. While the ALPA
database shows 394 UAL pilots on military leave, the actual number is over 500 pilots due to the dynamic nature of MIL leave. This dwindling down of available pilot resources has forced the company to develop plans to hire new pilots as early as September 2007.
Pilot Hiring
The Company decided in December 2006 to resurrect the Pilot Hiring Program at UAL. A group was formed consisting of representatives from HR, Legal, and Flight Operations. In mid-December 2006 the Master Chairman received word that ALPA was going to be included in the planning and process mapping for this new process. In turn, the Master Chairman announced that the MEC Membership Committee would be the point of contact for this group and the UAL-MEC appointed four MEC members to oversee this process.
The Flight Operations group has been very busy working with HR and Legal on the Pilot New Hire Program. By mid-May 2007 (due to the high rate of resignations from pilots offered recall) the Company decided it was going to need at least 100 more pilots on the property by the end of 2007 than they would be able to amass from the recalled pilot pool. This put Pilot New Hires in a priority status, and Flight Operations and HR began mapping out the New Hire processes.
The Flight Operations group is supervised by Captain Hank Krakowski. Captain John Winter heads up a team that consists of Captains Bob MacKay, some of the Domicile Chief Pilots, and the Fleet Captains at DENTK. This group selected Captain Mike Gillen
to be the Project Manager of the New Hire program.
For the last 2 months, the Flight Operations group has met with HR and Legal and other interested parties each Monday at WHQ to make decisions and evaluate options regarding Flight Officer Employment. It appears that HR is Captaining this process instead of being a resource to Flight Operations. ALPA has not been invited to attend any of these meetings. We did, however, observe in a 20 minute demonstration from Hogan Assessments in late May 2007 and a Focus Group regarding Personality and
Employee Trait assessments the Company is planning to give to flight officer candidates in order to select applicants to interview.
Captain Winter has expressed, and continues to express, his desire to engage ALPA in a collaborative dialogue regarding all of the new processes and procedures that are going to be put in place. To date there have been no meaningful discussions of the
concerns that the MEC has brought forth through the MEC Representatives appointed to oversee this process (Captains John Barton, John Briggs, Steve Edgar, and Pete Velzeboer). Our collaborative dialogue with Captain Winter consists of weekly updates from Captain Gillen on what decisions have been made. The only effect ALPA has had in the process has been to advocate for an increase in time and experience levels for potential Interview Captain Applicants, which the Company agreed to. We are disappointed with the lack of access to information and rationale for the new processes and practices to be implemented. I surmise from ALPA’s exclusion that the Company is intent on pursuing a “business as usual approach” to Flight Officer Employment. I have further concluded that ALPA’s intentional omission from the process is the latest indication of the Company’s effort to substantially diminish the union’s (and quite possibly Flight Operations) role in the oversight, care and maintenance of the line pilot’s working conditions.
The Company will be training Interview Captains at WHQ July 24-26, and ALPA has been allocated 4 class slots to observe and participate in the training. The Interview Captain Applicants were pared down to 36 interviewees; the 12 finalists will have been
announced by the beginning of the UAL MEC’s July 2007 meeting. The Company is planning on opening the web-based UAL Pilot Application on July 16,
2007, with interviews beginning in early to mid-August 2007. Pilot minimums are 1,500 hours total time, 1,000 hours multiengine PIC (Fighter time and/or civilian time can be added together), 500 hours turbine time (PIC or SIC), and eligibility to work in the United States of America.
After submitting an electronic application that meets the minimum hours requirements, a candidate will be sent to a website to take a 34 question Personality Trait Assessment (still being developed by Hogan Assessments). Passing this gate, the applicant will
receive a phone interview verifying qualifications and time totals submitted. The applicant will be sent to a “Comp USA” type facility to take a proctored, 35-40 question Employee Trait Assessment, and if successful, will be placed in an applicant stream for
interview.
The Flight Officer interview will be conducted by an Interview Captain and a HR representative. They will score the applicant and their recommendations will be
forwarded to the Pilot Hiring Board. This board will consist of Hank Krakowski’s representative (at the time of this writing it is unknown who will perform this task), the Manager of Flight Officer Employment (a pilot who has not yet been identified), and the
HR Manager of Flight Officer Employment (again, not identified).
The successful candidates will be placed in a Pilot Pool and be offered class dates in a manner not yet specified by HR and Flight Operations. Once hired, they will undergo an Indoctrination Program that is neither FAA approved at this time, or known to the MEC Training Committee or the Pilot Instructors who will be tasked to teach this course.
The Training Committee as of the date of this report has not examined the training footprint and syllabus for new hires. From the conversations we’ve had with Captain Winter and Captain Gillen, the Company is planning on hiring 30-40 pilots in September, October, November, and December 2007, with a 300-400 pilot hiring goal for 2008 and subsequent years in order to replace retirements and attrition and grow the pilot group by 1% each year.
ALPA Membership Services
There has been a significant reorganization of the Membership Services Department within ALPA International. There are no longer dedicated analysts for each airline. There are now four analysts handling the entire membership database and member contacts. This has caused a change in the processes the MEC Membership Committee as using, but as we go forward we are learning to deal with the different structure and ncreasing the digital transfer of information from member to the home office.
ALPA National Membership Committee
Due to the tireless efforts of Chairman Captain John Sluys (Alaska Airlines), and the members of the National Membership Committee, there is now a DVD available to any airline’s New Hire Pilots that explains the history, function, and services provided by the Airline Pilot’s Association. Captain Sluys has modernized and vastly improved the presentation of our union to new hires, and we look forward to using the new media in the fall of 2007 with our new hires.
Fraternally,
Jeff Cramer, Chairman
MEC Membership Committee

And for those of you unaware, there were 34 unfilled 767 FO slots on the last vacancy bid. They are as follows: LAX 10; SFO 7; ORD 7; DCA 4.
While the union will object (very, very meekly), those slots will almost certainly be filled by newhires.
In comparison, the 737 had 5 ORD slots unfilled and fifi had 19 unfilled DCA slots.

Latest resources

Back