• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New trend for AirTran negotiations?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think there are some things we can do in this next contract that are MUTUALLY beneficial to both the pilot group and the company.

1. Health coverage on day 1 for all pilot newhires.
Currently, we care about you as a new pilot (a management representative), but if you get sick before the 1st of next month, you're on your own. What kind of statement is that? What a Great Opportunity to start changing the corporate culture of our pilot group from day 1. For those of us on the property right now, you may ask "How does that help me?" Simple, you'll fly with someone who feels a little better about how the company treats them, and they'll appreciate that the NPA cares about the new guys as much as it cares about the Senior Guys.

The year 3-6 FO pay rates need to go up. The upgrade time will slowly creep up over the next several years. It would be nice to see us think ahead and adjust the rates in anticipation of this.

Mutually Beneficial (continued)

2. Increased payrates for First Officers.
Helps the company because then there would be more of an incentive for some pilots not to bid Captain, and stay put in their seat, reducing training costs, and in some cases retraining costs when guys fail. Likely more pilots would choose quality of life and realative seniority over upgrade.
Helps the pilot group in 2 ways. Upgrades could go junior as incentives for some to stay F/Os would increase. Also, if upgrades slow down, which sooner or later they will, staying an F/O at AirTran would be a good deal, relative to leaving AirTran to go to FedEx, CAL, or Southwest.

No, it's not a panacea, and people will still leave, but maybe the attrition wouldn't be so bad.

After reading this entire thread (and remembering my old nasty commuter job and what we had to go through), can't help myself but to pray that the meh/aai merger doesn't go through.

Not making fun of you, but...are you seriously forming an opinion based on what you read on flightinfo?, I hope not. I've been here a year and I can definitely say that AAI is 10X better than what I experienced at a certain commuter. Let me know and I'll provide the laundry list.

I do want a better contract (compensation and insurance). I think that a AAI/MEH merger would most likely extend upgrade time for myself, but in the long run would create a stronger company.

Oh btw, I have nothing against Wisconsin, I married a cheesehead. Cheers

The year 3-6 FO pay rates need to go up. The upgrade time will slowly creep up over the next several years. It would be nice to see us think ahead and adjust the rates in anticipation of this.
BINGO!

But this is the last of the "Captain's" airlines... I don't think the NC really gives a rat's about the F/O's... yet...

If all of us were to rally together and really make a stink about the proposed rates on that DVD, might garner some attention. There's enough of us to throw a monkey wrench in any T.A. that comes out without decent F/O rates.

Will it cause a "No" vote? Maybe, maybe not. But I'd rather not wait until it gets to that; I'd rather get a large number of us to raise caine with the union RIGHT NOW and get them to address it BEFORE a T.A. comes out.

MUCH harder to change it THEN versus just adjust the rates they're shooting for NOW...

Mutually Beneficial (continued)

2. Increased payrates for First Officers.
Helps the company because then there would be more of an incentive for some pilots not to bid Captain, and stay put in their seat, reducing training costs, and in some cases retraining costs when guys fail. Likely more pilots would choose quality of life and realative seniority over upgrade.
Helps the pilot group in 2 ways. Upgrades could go junior as incentives for some to stay F/Os would increase. Also, if upgrades slow down, which sooner or later they will, staying an F/O at AirTran would be a good deal, relative to leaving AirTran to go to FedEx, CAL, or Southwest.

No, it's not a panacea, and people will still leave, but maybe the attrition wouldn't be so bad.
Nicely said.

The blended rates from JB for F/O's are very middle-ground and would at least be worth shooting for instead of the piddly little BARELY COLA raises they're asking for now.

BINGO!

But this is the last of the "Captain's" airlines... I don't think the NC really gives a rat's about the F/O's... yet...

If all of us were to rally together and really make a stink about the proposed rates on that DVD, might garner some attention. There's enough of us to throw a monkey wrench in any T.A. that comes out without decent F/O rates.

Will it cause a "No" vote? Maybe, maybe not. But I'd rather not wait until it gets to that; I'd rather get a large number of us to raise caine with the union RIGHT NOW and get them to address it BEFORE a T.A. comes out.

MUCH harder to change it THEN versus just adjust the rates they're shooting for NOW... The blended rates from JB for F/O's are very middle-ground and would at least be worth shooting for instead of the piddly little BARELY COLA raises they're asking for now.

I'm with you on this one. Perhaps we should all start emailing AP with our inputs.

I'm with you on this one. Perhaps we should all start emailing AP with our inputs.
I've done that.

Twice.

Not so much as a "thank you for your email, we'll take it under advisement".

I'm thinking about 100 of us should get together and go to the next pizza dinner with a formal petition to raise F/O pay rate goals.

:D

I agree with you Lear. I had a feeling when I started here that upgrade would go beyond three years. I little extra in the pocket book for FO's I say.

BINGO!

Nice job, Lear. Maybe I'm in the minority, but FL717 and I talked about this alot. If you want to be a decent Captain here, you'd better care about your F/Os. I want my F/Os to be as psyched as they can be to be working here--part of it for selfish reasons--That way, the odds are better that they'll be in a better mood, and more likely to keep us from really screwing something up! That whole CRM thing.

Captains who don't think that F/O pay rates aren't important are making a statement that I don't agree with.

Oh yeah, Go Steelers!

I emailed not only Allen, but the entire BOD and both lawyers . . . . did not receive a single acknowledgement.

I am starting to think that the time may have arrived to consider national representation . . . . ALPA is not likely be voted in, but the Teamsters are a definite possibility. . . . .

It would be poetic justice if that was the result of the last 2 years of buffoonery . . . and that development just might make it worthwhile to hang around for the next 20 years.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back