• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New trend for AirTran negotiations?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sledneck, I've been under teamsters and they're much worse.

Fair enough, but that doesn't make this union a "breath of fresh air" either.

I agree with your examples and acknowledge NPA is not perfect, but it has improved greatly and continues to do so. The examples you cite are minor compared to the chit that used to go on!

LOL, that is scary!! How could it be worse? The company took our contract and shredded it. INstead of the union standing up, they responded by writing a LOA that basically just back-dated/approved the ass-wiping of the contract. We as a group could have stood up at that time and said no. The union was the place for this start. This wouldn't have been a strike, slow-down or anything like that, it would have been perfectly legal. This also would have been a great time to show our solidarity(ah hem, sorry, almost choked when I wrote that:)

I still believe NPA gives us better representation than ALPA. Convince me ALPA is better, what additional recourse would be available if the SNAFUs you listed had occurred under their watch. I'm truly curious, as I've never been a member.

I am not saying that ALPA or Teamsters is the solution, but rather said it couldn't be any worse. Since we are paying higher dues to outsource ALPA's resources, what's the point of "being on our own"? There are a lot better ALPA experts than me, but I will say a few things.

Division of power. One guy approved this mess and the other SNAFU's mentioned without so much as a word from anyone else. ALPA has a different structure of LEC's that have the power thus not allowing a one man show. We have a BOD, but that's for show. As far as by-laws and recalls and such, there are plenty but I have the attention span of a four year and would be side tracked too quickly to look them up:)

Another example is Comair. All ALPA members paid Comair pilots(wasn't much, but still) while they were on strike to make sure they got a fair contract. We all had a vested interest, and criticize it all you want, who's going to support us if we ever went on strike? The point is that other ALPA carriers have a vested interested in helping you get the best contract you can. HAVING SAID THAT, there is a LOT of room for improvement there lol.

Resources. What few resources we have or had, were models that came from ALPA like the ASAP program for example. Another one modeled after them is the Mutual Aid program. Here it's expensive with lots of rules. THere it was cheap, and if you needed it, it was there plain and simple. No time limits, and you didn't even have to partipate to get the bennies. Here you have to contribute for so long, and it's about 50 times more expensive.

I know there are enough ALPA haters here to ever prevent them from coming, but I have to laugh when people say that this in house union is as good as ALPA. People have mentioned that during their regional-ALPA days they were as equally as powerless as this union, but I didn't have that experience. Our union was strong, won more grievances than they lost, and the company couldn't re-write the contract without serious consequences. It wasn't perfect and nobody would have had anything to bitch about if it were, but definately three grades above this one.

I know my posts come accross as someone who loves ALPA, but in reality I'm just shocked by what I've seen here and only know ALPA as an example. Every turn they've made goes against what I feel the majority wants. THe union is getting beat and laughed at by the company and the ALPA name just simply carries more weight IMO. It seems like the leaders have been intimidated and act like they have to go along so the company will survive instead of using the lessons of the past to improve the future.

Division of power. One guy approved this mess and the other SNAFU's mentioned without so much as a word from anyone else. ALPA has a different structure of LEC's that have the power thus not allowing a one man show. We have a BOD, but that's for show. As far as by-laws and recalls and such, there are plenty but I have the attention span of a four year and would be side tracked too quickly to look them up:)
This is why, at my last carrier, a resolution was passed that said, in a nutshell, that ANY pay or quality of life issue HAD to go to the pilots for Member Ratification.

With the emails we've received from the NPA recently, I'd say if we're going to make a stand about F/O rates, we'd better do it soon.

It looks like the company is finally motivated to make some positive movement on the contract, including giving RP his job back as I'm sure a gesture of good faith, and we may see a T.A. sooner rather than later.

Anyone wants to make an afternoon/evening of going by the office, voicing our concerns, then having some frosty ones, PM me.

Ya...ALPA really helped Comair..and the Delta brothers stood by em...please... I spent a little eagle time in MIA....ALPA is not the answer..instead of throwing stones at the NPA..stop by and help out...plenty of room for volunteers !! ALPA National has nothing for us here at FL... Again..we are the union..its not just your tie tac fellas....think about it gentleman ..peace .. We can set the tide..we can make it tight...but it takes discussions like this ! A TA is close..and vote for what is fair and right....Did any of you ever get in touch Or is it ..lets all crash the union hall....we'll show em??

This is why, at my last carrier, a resolution was passed that said, in a nutshell, that ANY pay or quality of life issue HAD to go to the pilots for Member Ratification.

EXACTLY!! I had the same thing at my previous carrier. That needs changing ASAP.

Sled, I agree on the Xmas debacle but it's obvious the majority enjoy the benefits of SAP II, but that LOA can be pulled at any time. You need to encourage everyone you fly with that has less than stellar results this month with SAP II to go to the NPA website and email the scheduling chairman. (I know that requires a little pointing and clicking but if you can do it here, you can do it there.) I think we should go back to fax and email just because it increases the work load on planning and let them work it out.
As far as age 60, I looked into it, and you could have too instead of jsut bashing the NPA, and the majority of the pilots polled from the polling center were in favor of it. Not by much but the majority were in favor, and almost 30% were against and almost 20% didn't care but a slim majority were in favor. What really pi$$es me off is that a certain instructor/checkairman that normally wouldn't have anything to do with the NPA besides run it down, is helping the committee chairman in his endeavors to raise the age. I guess we're an equal employment opportunity NPA.

Question for all ALPA supporters?
I watched the Comair strike unfold and wondered how they could get a fair shake when their union also represented the pilot group of the purse strings. The same applies at FL, what kind of shake would we get if we were ALPA, when they were representing co's that were trying to put us out of business. I haven't seen them get any industry leading contracts since United + 1 and that didn't work out too well.
Point is, the union name doesn't mean that much, it's the union that counts!

As far as age 60, I looked into it, and you could have too instead of jsut bashing the NPA, and the majority of the pilots polled from the polling center were in favor of it. Not by much but the majority were in favor

When did that poll take place? I know for a fact that it wasn't within the last 18 months...actually I heard that it was 3-4 years ago. The size of this group has just about doubled since then. A poll from that long ago may not be representative of today's majority.

Well, to put it bluntly, THIS IS A HE!! OF A LOT BETTER THAN WHERE I WAS LAST!

And yes TY, also was military. However, I don't like the way things have evolved in this last 1-2 years.

I believe there are 80-90% of our pilot group (me included) that would like to call AirTran the final stop. I work to make this company profitable so that I can have a decent life. But, I think my juice has run out. Not to say I won't continue to do the same, but getting f-ed over by skeds twice in the last 2 months, not getting a comp day for flying on a day off, not being able to do squat in SAP2 -- that $hit drags you down -- and yes, I did greive it. I put all our hopes that we will solve the problem with a DECENT contract (HEAR THAT NPA). One that has no scheduling loopholes, and a decent raise across the board. Flying is an awesome job, but when you get treated like McD's fry cooks, it's not.

Lear, don't know how you've gotten so lucky to not be affected by the rescheduling crap, but just wait!

OBTW, my class had 22, one didn't make it through training, one just left for Delta (good luck!). The other 20 are still on property, almost 3 years later.

ALPA is not the answer..instead of throwing stones at the NPA..stop by and help out...plenty of room for volunteers !! ....Did any of you ever get in touch Or is it ..lets all crash the union hall....we'll show em??

I have been a volunteer and committee member for the past two years . . . . but the union and I diverged on nearly every single issue since the Xmas debacle . . . .

I'm for a STRONG union . . . . . and I am a very RESULT-oriented person.

If AP is successful in the next few months . . . I'll be the first one to shake his hand, and admit that his way prevailed . . . . but until that happens, I think that stronger medicine is required. Prove me wrong, I'll be happy to acknowledge the attainment of positive RESULTS.

Just a bit of history..The last contract's first TA was voted down...due to FO rates..

EV,
That was one of many, many reasons.
RD

Latest resources

Back