New SONG expansion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Noserider76 said:
Relative to the pay scales in effect at most majors when your company was formed - yes.

yes, but we were given a 30% raise late 2001. 1 1/2 years after conception. (same time your industry leading contract was in effect).

in regards to Song. Song is delta's biggest money loser. the reason delta is expanding Song and not Mainline (i.e. bdl to sfo) is due to lower loses.

why are they expanding Song? probably the same reason the idiots running the company have every last paper clip borrowed against to keep the company running. the true question is, who will give them D.I.P. financing with everything already borrowed against, when they go chapter 11??

general, please give me YOUR SPIN.....

Last edited:
Smoking Man said:
Note: The $89 an hour is only for the first 70 hours, anything above is paid at 150%.

Let's keep it real here. The highest paid 190 Captain at Jetblue will be $72.32/hr(2nd year), soon to be $73.93/hr(3rd year). Hours above 70 will be paid at $108.48 and $110.90 respectively.

This would make the TRUE blended payrate for an 82 hour month $77.61(2nd year) and $79.34(3rd year).

12 year payscale is irrelevant and only serves to skew the reality.

FNG320 said:
General,
I have read the same press releases. Problems is, they have always said SONG was profitable. But that is SONG itself, without the overhead that goes with operating an airline. These include the cost of gates, reservations, maintenance, payments on jets, etc. It is just for the cost of pilots, flight attendants, some cusotmer service/gates agents and fuel. Mother Delta is providing a lot to SONG. IF you were to break out SONG's portion of all of the above from Delta's total bill, SONG would be losing money. Maybe not as much as mainline, but still losing money. But by "leaving out some cost" that is how he can say SONG is making money.

Yes, expanding. But Song is feeding mostly of on itself by replacing mainline fights with SONG. The end result is it should be a reduction in losses, but not increased profit.

It is amazing how SONG parallels just about every city pair that JetBlue has. There are few if any where SONG does not parallel JetBlue. Remember the west coast flights still parallel JetBlues (SFO=OAK, LAX=LGB, etc).

I guess you can say Plagiarism is the greatest form of flattery. SONG is just a XEROX copy of JetBlue, but it came from a color copier missing some colors.

Just my opinion.....

FNG

SONG is not just a XEROX copy of JetBlue - it is, in my opinion, a much better product. The leather seats are nicer, the food is much better (I got tired of the blue M&Ms and chips after 2-3 hours) and the entertainment system blows JetBlue's away (I like the radio option in addition to the TV and movies)... SONG has improved greatly on the JetBlue product - I have flown on both and I would take SONG in a heartbeat if given the choice. Didn't Readers Digest just vote SONG the best LCC experience (can't remember the award) or something like that? JetBlue was not rated number one in that survey - and that's not just my opinion...

To address your assertion that SONG has not been profitable, Grinstein will be in very big trouble if SONG is/was not profitable when he publicly made that statement. The SEC would be breathing down his neck if he stated one thing and then "misled" investors. Grinstein is smart and he would not do anything to jeopardize Delta or his position - right? Therefore, if he makes public statements like that, I would assume they are "roughly" correct - if not, he could be prosecuted (in the post-Enron business environment). True, you can't break out the numbers from Delta's general numbers, but a public statement like that would indicate that the results (at the time) were positive.

I would think that news that SONG is replacing mainline flights would be disturbing to the JetBlue folks. SONG is a very competitive product and competintg against SONG could lead to lower margins for JetBlue if the price difference is insignificant. Why? Delta/SONG offers a better product, a better frequent flier program and international connections which makes the SONG product very competitive. I easily prefer SONG to the regular Delta service and interior - I would prefer to fly SONG all of the time if given the chance. Add to that comparable SONG fares on the same routes and the JetBlue "advantage" starts to vaporize on shared routes.

Everyone knows that international flights are the money-makers, and Delta (like CO, AA, and UAL) is doing reasonably well on its international flights and this can partially subsidize SONG's expansion. JetBlue does not have that option and must compete against Flyi, AirTran, SWA, Spirit, Frontier and now US/AWA for low-margin passenger dollars. As SONG expands with its better product and maintains competitive fares, JetBlue will feel the competition in its shared markets. I doubt JetBlue is making big money on the IAD-Florida routes with Flyi charging ridiculously low fares on each and every flight. Meanwhile, SWA will be adding hundreds of low-fare 737-700s, AirTran will be adding more 737-700s (up to 100 I believe), Flyi will be adding Airbuses, Spirit will add more A321s and A319s to the Florida-Northeast Corridor and the newly-energized USairways (if the AWA deal comes to fruition with additional equity) will be engaging JetBlue more directly - JetBlue can look forward to a lot more low-fare competition in the future.

In the meanwhile, if fuel costs ever do come down, Delta/SONG should be in better shape after the massive cost cutting and restructuring that help to reduce its operating costs (and provide for a better margin - excluding the fuel costs). Thank God for the E190 and its low-paid pilots for expansion away from Delta/SONG and other LCC markets.

Last edited:
The fact that you're not flying anymore by your own account tells a lot about how well Delta's doing. The consecutive BILLION dollar quarterly losses are another tell tale sign of your company’s foresight. Song seems to be a good start for turning Delta around but there’s a long way to go so please don’t go declaring victory just yet until the real battle is done like the clown of a President that currently leads our country; quite poorly might I add.

1284 postings on this MB may tell why you're still not working also. :)

Last edited:
B6Driver said:
The fact that you're not flying anymore by your own account tells a lot about how well Delta's doing. The consecutive BILLION dollar quarterly losses are another tell tale sign of your company’s foresight. Song seems to be a good start for turning Delta around but there’s a long way to go so please don’t go declaring victory just yet until the real battle is done like the clown of a President that currently leads our country; quite poorly might I add.

1284 postings on this MB may tell why you're still not working also. :)

First of all, its nice to see that you would kick a fellow pilot when he's down - that's very classy of you. Second, my profile is out of date and I have a flying job - thanks for caring....

Delta, like all of the airlines with the exception of SWA to some degree, has been hurting due to high fuel costs - no surprise there. Delta also has more aircraft than JetBlue and its exposure to rising fuel costs is MUCH GREATER. Plus, Delta hasn't felt the full benefit of restructuring changes (cost cutting) yet - and when the full impact is felt the breakeven load factor will decline as operating costs are reduced to more competitive levels.

Additionally, it is very ADVANTAGEOUS for Delta to take large restructuring charges now while the situation is difficult because Delta won't have to take these "paper" non-recurring restructuring charges later as results eventually improve (hopefully as fuel costs decrease). Better to take a black eye now during this tough operating period... A lot of these "billion dollar losses" are paper-losses (e.g., the loss in value of ASA and Comair) - not cash losses but PAPER LOSSES. Nonetheless, stock analysts have a field-day and predict gloom and doom. But how is ASA/Comair's reduced valuation actually hurting Delta's day-to-day operations? It ain't - but Delta would have to take that write-down at some point and it would prefer to do it in a difficult operating environment like we see today when it is more "excusable." Sure, Delta is not doing so well operationally thanks to super-high fuel costs, but most other major airlines are not doing that well either - including Continental, UAL and Northwest... If fuel costs were in the $30-40 range, Delta's losses would be much lower (perhaps it would even make a small profit after the big restructuring and cost-cutting initiatives). Nobody ever acknowledges that...

I am not a Delta employee and I have no stake in this game (I do have a few good friends who fly for Delta, however). I just prefer the SONG product to the JetBlue product when given the choice.

Last edited:
thruthemurk said:
Let's keep it real here. The highest paid 190 Captain at Jetblue will be $72.32/hr(2nd year), soon to be $73.93/hr(3rd year). Hours above 70 will be paid at $108.48 and $110.90 respectively.

This would make the TRUE blended payrate for an 82 hour month $77.61(2nd year) and $79.34(3rd year).

12 year payscale is irrelevant and only serves to skew the reality.

I was responding to the generals post of the twelve year pay, I am quite aware of what my pay rate will be when I go to the 190.

Glad to see you're flying again, really sux getting furloughed. I didn't like it much myself.
Have a good night.

Heavy Set said:
To address your assertion that SONG has not been profitable, Grinstein will be in very big trouble if SONG is/was not profitable when he publicly made that statement. The SEC would be breathing down his neck if he stated one thing and then "misled" investors. Grinstein is smart and he would not do anything to jeopardize Delta or his position - right? Therefore, if he makes public statements like that, I would assume they are "roughly" correct - if not, he could be prosecuted (in the post-Enron business environment).

Heavy Set
Maybe I missed something but I never saw where Grinstein said Song was "profitable" He only says it is "successful" which by definition could mean many things. Song could be losing gobs of $$ yet as a competetive weapon be viewed as very successful by hurting the competition. I know we are playing with words here but thats what they do on Wall Street and the SEC.

Latest resources

Back