New SONG expansion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General Lee said:
Here we go again, the expert RJ pilot who knows everything about Song. We don't have the room(gates) at EWR, we can't expand there.

Delta Express had 15 daily flights from EWR at its peak, but somehow Song couldn't expand when it was only operating 2 flights to MCO. If DL management wanted to expand Song service at EWR, the gate space is there. They chose not to because Song couldn't compete at EWR.

Can you really say Jetblue is profitable? How about they don't lose as much as the others, including us? That's better.

The last press release I read said JetBlue had 17 consecutive quarters of profitability including the 1st quarter of 2005. So yes, I can really say that JetBlue is profitable. I can't say the same about Song, because DL management won't publish any Song numbers. What are they hiding?

I said in my last post that I THINK Song is doing well by my own accounts, and that Grinstein said he uses Song as a tool against Jetblue. He said that, and he knows a lot more than you or I about what is going on.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Grinstein says a lot of stuff. He also told you that he doesn't like RJ's on long flights (remember that?), but guess what? DL keeps putting RJ's on long flights. Earlier this month, Comair started flying SAT-MCO...1,036 miles.

Since you are so fond of Grinstein quotes, here's another one for you:

"However, as (Delta chief executive officer Gerald) Grinstein paraphrased Vince Lombardi in a recent interview - 'sometimes the clock just runs out.'"

He also said we could sell DCI and still get good use out of it. We don't have to own it I remember him saying.

How many flights did Delta Express have again out of EWR at it's peak? Are you sure about 15 a day? I flew there for a year and don't remember that many. Maybe you were there, counting them from the observatory deck. We also dropped IAD, but nobody was really fighting us there at that point. We obviously dropped EWR because we couldn't do much there to expand it anymore. We were stuck with a certain number of possible departures. Besides, we have a CRJ or CR7 blocking the gate most of the time, taking disgruntled businessmen to CVG. You should know that.

Grinstein said Song was profitable in the press, so I would have to believe that there is some truth there. Also, he is expanding it, rather than shutting it down I believe, and that would INDICATE that Song is on the right path. As far as our profitability, we have already cut $3.5 billion a year from the budget, and we are going for $5 billion a year. With your pay freeze, we might save $5.1 billion. Both of our main creditors--AMEX and GE, are "impressed" and have relaxed our terms, partially to help for higher gas bills. At the same time, we have increased fares somewhat to cover most of the higher fuel costs, but $60 a barrel isn't good for anyone.

Got any quotes from Fred Butrell? Where are those Comair E170s?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
General Lee said:
So, where oh where would you be starting new service? Probably not ATL anytime soon, until maybe you get some E190s. I saw you started new Ponce flights, even though the times are gawd awful. Any idea of another "focus city?" It will be interesting to see where your E190s and buses go after the introduction of the E190 fleet. Let's just hope you guys have the ballz someday to get your E190 pay increased. $89 an hour for 12 year Captain pay really isn't that good for a 100 seat aircraft.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Note: The $89 an hour is only for the first 70 hours, anything above is paid at 150%.

If I had to guess about where the 190 is going I would place $$, on cities like RIC, CHS, etc, you know cities where a large portion of the flying is on crj/emb-145 aircraft and the airport is largely served by delta/u.s. airways. I wonder if the customers will notice the larger airplane (compared to crj service) that you can stand up in, and you don't have to walk out on the ramp in the WX to get in. Not to mention the extras, TV/ XM soon etc etc. I am suspect that the pay will change after the aircraft gets some time on the property.

Smoking Man said:
Note: The $89 an hour is only for the first 70 hours, anything above is paid at 150%. If I had to guess about where the 190 is going I would place $$, on cities like RIC, CHS, etc, you know cities where a large portion of the flying is on crj/emb-145 aircraft and the airport is largely served by delta/u.s. airways. I wonder if the customers will notice the larger airplane (compared to crj service) that you can stand up in, and you don't have to walk out on the ramp in the WX to get in. Not to mention the extras, TV/ XM soon etc etc. I am suspect that the pay will change after the aircraft gets some time on the property.

Everyone hopes so. Remember also that even the extra pay after 70 hours doesn't help much when you live in NYC or the surroundings. Honestly, we hope you guys change your rates eventually.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
Grinstein said SONG was profitable in the press, so I would have to believe that there is some truth there. Also, he is expanding it, rather than shutting it down I believe, and that would INDICATE that Song is on the right path.
Bye Bye--General Lee

General,
I have read the same press releases. Problems is, they have always said SONG was profitable. But that is SONG itself, without the overhead that goes with operating an airline. These include the cost of gates, reservations, maintenance, payments on jets, etc. It is just for the cost of pilots, flight attendants, some cusotmer service/gates agents and fuel. Mother Delta is providing a lot to SONG. IF you were to break out SONG's portion of all of the above from Delta's total bill, SONG would be losing money. Maybe not as much as mainline, but still losing money. But by "leaving out some cost" that is how he can say SONG is making money.

Yes, expanding. But Song is feeding mostly of on itself by replacing mainline fights with SONG. The end result is it should be a reduction in losses, but not increased profit.

It is amazing how SONG parallels just about every city pair that JetBlue has. There are few if any where SONG does not parallel JetBlue. Remember the west coast flights still parallel JetBlues (SFO=OAK, LAX=LGB, etc).

I guess you can say Plagiarism is the greatest form of flattery. SONG is just a XEROX copy of JetBlue, but it came from a color copier missing some colors.

Just my opinion.....

FNG

General Lee said:
We just announced a $220 million JFK construction job. Would that indicate that we are just peeing in the wind there?

What I've heard is the port of NYC sued DAL to correct and upgrade the terminal to keep it up to standards they had agreed upon. DAL didn't want to spend the $220 mil but was forced to.

banger said:
General Lee said:
We just announced a $220 million JFK construction job. Would that indicate that we are just peeing in the wind there?

What I've heard is the port of NYC sued DAL to correct and upgrade the terminal to keep it up to standards they had agreed upon. DAL didn't want to spend the $220 mil but was forced to.

Ouch! That'l leave a mark! But if you haven't been in Terminal 2 and 3 lately, they are really run down (old, dirty, torn carpet, missing tiles, cracks in the floors and walls, wall paper falling down, ceiling leaks in heavy rain, etc. They both defintley need some TLC. It does look like they have done nothing to maintian the property in years!

Just my opinion...

FNG

FNG320 said:
banger said:
Ouch! That'l leave a mark! But if you haven't been in Terminal 2 and 3 lately, they are really run down (old, dirty, torn carpet, missing tiles, cracks in the floors and walls, wall paper falling down, ceiling leaks in heavy rain, etc. They both defintley need some TLC. It does look like they have done nothing to maintian the property in years!

Just my opinion...

FNG

Terminal 3 will always be the old Pan Am Worldport in my eyes. Ahh, the good old days.

FNG320 said:
It is amazing how SONG parallels just about every city pair that JetBlue has. There are few if any where SONG does not parallel JetBlue. Remember the west coast flights still parallel JetBlues (SFO=OAK, LAX=LGB, etc).
FNG

Not this crap again. Jet Blue cherry picked routes Delta has been flying for years. If you are going to attack someones routes with an ultra low-paid work force you sure better expect a competitve response. All the west coast flights were flown by Delta long before Jet Blue was even an idea.

Latest resources

Back