• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FN FAL said:
Rifles AND assault weapons?

Hillary Clinton, is that you?

You know, assault weapons...like bats and golf clubs! :D

The power of God's nature is humbling beyond all comprehesion to us all. While it is easy to blame those that stayed behind, I stayed behind during Andrew. First it was not predictable, secondly I had never experienced one or seen the damage that it could do.

We can blame people all we want. Do you think that Christ would walk the streets blaming the people for their ignorance in not leaving. What about the children and infirmed, the seniors without mobility.

There was a pilot here yesterday from Baton Rouge who said he had no sympathy for any of them, they knew this could happen. His lack of compassion made me sick for those who had no jet to leave on. What about all those who did leave. They are suffering and have nothing to go back to. No jobs, no homes, no many things.

We all make decisions every day, some good ones and some bad ones. Often times these decisions effect others. We should walk the road of compassion without judging what category one falls into.

Katrina

Mudkow,

Thanks for doing what you are doing. I could only imagine what a disaster the Gulf coast is right now. I've read as many of the postings as I could and agree with many of you. I personally cannot understand why store owners, knowing Katrina was coming, did not move the guns and ammo out of the area. Forget the TV's DVD's, VCR's etc... Why leave guns and ammo? Did they not think they would get looted? I could go on forever about irresponsibility, but will leave it as is.

A lot can be done and or given. Money, clothes, food, water, and let's not forget the gift of life itself, Blood. Please give if you can. America needs you. Americans need you.

God bless all involved.

Leaving guns/ammo in your stores isn't the bad decision. Building your home below sea level on the coast is a bad decision. It was never, EVER a question of IF N.O. would get flooded, it was always a question of when. That when is now. Let's learn from the mistake, let's not rebuild here.

I'm just finishing up an overnight in LFT, and it's amazing how many people are here. The UL arena (the Cajundome) is filled with refugees, and in many places the parking lots are full of people and families living in their cars with nowhere to go.

I just donated some blood, and it was quick and easy. Like atlcrashpad said, I recommend that if you have the time, go find a place to donate. If not blood, find some way to help.

Flying Illini said:
Leaving guns/ammo in your stores isn't the bad decision. Building your home below sea level on the coast is a bad decision. It was never, EVER a question of IF N.O. would get flooded, it was always a question of when. That when is now. Let's learn from the mistake, let's not rebuild here.
It's a major seaport. Grain, ore, and other things go down the Mississippi river on barges to be off loaded onto ocean going vessels for export of our goods to cash customers around the world. Also, imports from all over the world come into that seaport to be offloaded and trucked out or put on barges to go up the river. It is also where oil platforms deliver crude oil to, and where it is refined and pumped out in pipelines across the country.

It would be nice if a seaport could be located in Nebraska, but it usually needs to be someplace at sea level.

Plus, people raise the insurance costs, and rebuilding house, businesses, etc. How will this NOT be a cost if we don't rebuild it? Insurance will still need to be paid out, housing will still need to be built to accomodate the refugees, no matter where they go. Business will need assistance restarting wherever they relocate to. Either way, the costs will be high. New Orleans should be rebuilt, but this time, listen to the people that say the levees couldn't handle a cat 3 storm or higher. If the levees were built right to withstand a storm surge of 25+ feet, instead of 10-15' there'd be no flooding in the city like you see now. There be some flooding, wind damage, but how will that mean it's not to be rebuilt? Why did we rebuild southern florida after andrew, san francisco after the fire of 1906, the gulf coast after camille?

Yes it makes sense to rebuild, I guess. I'm all for rebuilding at sea level, but below sea level is a problem waiting to happen. And if you think for one minute that we can build something that can defeat mother nature, well, you're very wrong. And when another disaster like this happens, again we will all feel the economical pinch.

The levee's will stop a wall of water...to an extent. But a tsunami will go right over them and we're back to square one. How about torrential rains that won't go away, filling up the city from above, how do you prevent that. And don't say it won't happen, because for all you know, it's coming next year...or never.

Rebuilding N.O. is a gamble, no matter how much money and resources you dump into the levee and pump system.

A tsunami would over run stuff above sea level at a port as well. An earthquake at 9.2 on the scale would also cause havoc. Mankind cannot make itself immune from every possible natural disaster. Tornado, volcano eruptions, blizzards......they can all do bad things. We do the best our engineering know how and financial resources will allow. After all, that's why people and business have insurance policies.

Latest resources

Back