New Orleans... very sad

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
VampyreGTX said:
Doh... misread the second part of the statement. Guess I should get back to work now!
Not to beat up on ya, but there was that important little word in the first part, too:

Phoenix45 said:
I have absolutely NO SYMPATHY for those who chose not to evacuate.
(emphasis added)
That would exclude the people to whom you referred that had no choice. :)

Ever wonder where the reporters/cameramen/technical staff stay at night? Where they eat? How they got to the only high ground? How they leave?

If they are suddenly stranded and hungry, should we feel sorry for them and rescue them?

Hmmmmm...

TonyC said:
Ever wonder where the reporters/cameramen/technical staff stay at night? Where they eat? How they got to the only high ground? How they leave?

If they are suddenly stranded and hungry, should we feel sorry for them and rescue them?

Hmmmmm....

Or if they take a piece of debris while standing in the middle of the storm...should we even feel sorry for them? I appreciate them bringing us pictures and showing us just how stong the winds are by them trying to stand in it, but when chunks of building start to fly around, it's time to take cover and wait out the storm.

Have there ever been any cases of reporters and support personel being injured by doing these types of reporting stunts?

Flying Illini said:
Or if they take a piece of debris while standing in the middle of the storm...should we even feel sorry for them? I appreciate them bringing us pictures and showing us just how stong the winds are by them trying to stand in it, but when chunks of building start to fly around, it's time to take cover and wait out the storm.
That, too.

I suppose I didn't do a very good job of articulating what I was contemplating at that moment, but I wonder if their continued presence through the storms, and the antics you describe, don't encourage some people to disregard the evacuation orders. Of course, that still wouldn't justify it, but it makes one wonder if the media hasn't done the public a DISservice by "mocking" the storm.

StaySeated said:
Be safe on your next evac flight...any chance you can hang a couple grunts out of the doors with 60's or a SAW or maybe a 50 cal and do some strafing runs up and down the streets with the looters?

They'll be dead of Cholera or Dysentery within a month. Hope the new Nike's were worth it.

I think I'm gonna jumpseat down there and go ransack a Piggly Wiggly before all the grub is gone. Fucking looters.

TonyC said:
That, too.

I suppose I didn't do a very good job of articulating what I was contemplating at that moment, but I wonder if their continued presence through the storms, and the antics you describe, don't encourage some people to disregard the evacuation orders. Of course, that still wouldn't justify it, but it makes one wonder if the media hasn't done the public a DISservice by "mocking" the storm.

Good point, and highly probable. When the media says that "evacuations are mandatory, that is is going to be a very, very bad storm and that you should leave," people will listen...most of the time. Until you see the reporters staying through the storm.

I would figure that hey, if that guy can make it through this storm and he is OUTSIDE with only surrounding buildings to shelter him, then surely I can survive in my house!

The media says that they stay on the air b/c it brings hope to people. Well, those people don't have power, they can't hear you. Go somewhere safe and broadcast from there. If you want camera shots, mount some remote cameras with a mini-wx station for wind speeds and beat-feet out of there. Monitor from afar.

I think that if before stong storms hit, the media personnel just said, "Well, landfall is only a few hours away, we will be terminating our live coverage and we will only have our remote cams for visuals of "inside the storm." We urge all others to evacuate as we ourselves are doing." People may respect the storms more.

Some media did, The Weather Channels crews did exactly that, as soon as they saw the storm grow to 175 and bear down on N.O., they moved to inland Miss. Fox had all it's reporters go to the Superdome and none broadcasted outside during the storm (except for Geraldo, who had updates off his phone at the Hotel he was in in the French Quarter.) Most of the video from MSNBC and CNN was from reporters outside of N.O. and in Miss and 'bama, where it wasn't supposed to be as bad. The evacuation order in some of those place only came the evening before landfall. Still, nothing like the pic of the reporter about to get blown over saying "don't go outside!" :rolleyes:

Hard for me to get too bent out of shape about "looters" taking food, clothing, etc. from damaged stores.

Latest resources

Back