• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Mins for Mesaba

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you have a crap airline, you're gonna only be able to attract pilots with zero experience and those who have no idea what their time, effort, and sacrifice to themselves and their families is worth. Hopefull every capatin will fill out a paysheet for OE pay.

Good job ALPA. Safety and professional wages are now all things that we used to have.

This is so stupid. I'm a former XJer who feels sorry for the guys like Dehn, Claypool, Swanney etc that are going to put up with 600 TT C-172 kids that havent left the pattern yet. XJ has awesome people with talent, why ruin it now.

Hi!

XJ doesn't have to ruin it.

My airline so far is getting pretty decent candidates, I assume because of our first year pay.

If XJ would pay about $35 their first year, they could keep approximately ATP mins and have no problems. However, I don't see XJ, or any other regional, voluntarily raising their pay that much, at least not YET!

Horizon pays quite a bit, and isn't having any problems getting pretty highly qualified applicants.

cliff
YIP

First year pay after the concessions is not much less than it's ever been. XJ has never had a problem of this nature in attracting qualified applicants before! So, I seriously doubt it's linked to the pay. All the regional starting pay is between $19-$24, with the exception of Horizon. Mesaba is at $24, higher than most. Combined with the work rules that remain in tact after the concessions, Mesaba isn't that bad of a place to start. Unless of course you're a 1000 hour wonder than is too good for a saab.

I really don't buy the first year pay is crap... they're all crap. It boils down to equipment and where people want to live.

FO

Not scary at all.

Next time you fly a BA 747-400 out of any of the US bases, or UK, try talking to the flight crew...you may run in to a very young gal/guy who got hired and on to 747 with less hours than Mesa and Mesaba. What would you do?

I'm sure, based on your beliefs, you'd not get on that 'doomed' flight across the Atlantic!

Shaheen

I'll stick to American carriers where the CA is under 64.5 and the fo has more than 300 hours, and when they get to LAX, they can communicate effectively with the approach and ground controllers. It makes me feel better.

Heard that its not as simple as if you have the mins your in. Seems like a lot of the guys with that low of time will come from some sort of bridge program. But then again what do i know?

GULFSTREAMERS THOSE **SHOLES!!!!!!!!

What in the world does ALPA have to do with Mesaba lowering the hiring minimums? Or are you just an idiot?

Funny, that's what my wife calls me.

When ALPA decides that concessions are required for already underpaid professional 121 pilots, you have to start lowering the mins to get people to work there. The ambitious and well qualified pilots are not going to apply to an airline where you get to be a Turbo prop FO for 8 years before you can upgrade and make $50,000.

The same can be said of any profession. Water it down enough and the go getters will go do something else that offers better returns for their troubles.

I know, I know, XJ was in BK and things needed to be done. Bottom line is the contract wasn't that good to begin with and if the company can't pay a competitive wage and offer decent work rules to career employees, then maybe they shouldn't be in business. Just a thought from an idiot who knows how to make money other than turning on an autopilot.

Latest resources

Back