• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Low?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
He seems genuinely apologetic. This is is one of two responses I got from him after my little lecture
Thank you very much for your email regarding my multi-engine instruction ad. Somehow, you managed to put a postitive spin on what has turned out to be a horrible mistake.

I was amazed at the number of negative emails I received about this post. I now see how offering free instruction may hurt business for others. My intention in placing the ad was not that I would be stealing any business from another CFI, but rather be encouraging recurrent training to a pilot who may otherwise not fly with an instructor.

I sincerely apologize if I have offended you in any way. I meant no harm, and only thought I had come up with a creative way to get ahead. I certainly did not mean to make waves in the industry. I have removed as many traces of the ad as possible, and in the future will remember my lessons learned today. Thanks again for your email.

Sincerely,

I think the message was conveyed :)

CDVdriver said:
This guy is too funny for words....or tragic.
I knew the name sounded familiar.
Had the pleasure of flying with him once.
This is what he put on www.airnav.com 2 weeks later (and my reply)
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KAPF/EUROPE_AMERICAN#c

Even though the first name is different (he uses both or an abbreviation)
I recognized his face on the pic.
What a total tool....unbelievable, has anybody sent him a link to the thread yet?

From Anthony Salamone on 11-Jan-2005 I spent a day with Europe-American Aviation and am extremely disappointed with their services. I checked out in a complex airplane with one of their CFI's and made a reservation for rental. When I got in the airplane for rental, the starter malfunctioned and the airplane was grounded. Rather than spend another $130 for a check in an unfamiliar make/model, a different CFI agreed to fly with me. My airplane orientation with this new CFI was none other than a commercial sight-seeing trip. He was pushy, unpleasant, and basically told me what I was to do. I am also a CFI and have not felt like I had less control of a flight since I was a beginning student. I would certainly not recommend Europe-American for flight instruction and would be skeptical of using their aircraft for rental. A quick side-note is a comment about their CFI named Carston. Carston was the CFI who originally gave me the complex airplane check. He was very helpful and my previous comments do not reflect his services.

Response from Bruce A Batelaan of Europe-American Aviation

As the CFI in question I feel compelled to reply. I remember this flight slightly different. Mr Salamone intended to take his mother up in an airplane for the first time. The checkout was scheduled in the Piper Arrow on the 27th Dec 04. Unfortunately the starter malfunctioned once he completed his checkout flight. He asked, but we could not rent him one of our new 172SP's due to no time in type. We mutually agreed on a sightseeing flight with no steep turns or stalls. Mr Salomone had no problems with this. Considering a young low time pilot (260 hrs, even with CFI) some instruction was in order. That seems almost obvious. Mr Salamone seemed to enjoy the flight and appreciate my instruction. Never at any time was there any hint of resentment. I owe Mr Salamone an apology if at any point I was rude, pushy and unpleasant, however that was not the case. I would have appreciated comments during or after the flight, not two weeks later on AirNav.com. To discourage renting from us and to discourage training with us based on one flight and issues is a little immature and frankly, reflects bad on Mr Salamone himself. I hope Mr Salamone has found a job flight instructing and has gained more insight in the workings of a flight school and understanding of checkout and rental requirements.

How does a CFI have no time in a 172? Thats mind boggling.

I'd also like to add, Airnav.com has been deleted and censoring a lot of the comments, and isn't very reliable anymore for this sort of information.

Take GNV for example, University Air isn't even listed. Too many negative comments I suppose.

Metro752 said:
From Anthony Salamone on 11-Jan-2005 I spent a day with Europe-American Aviation and am extremely disappointed with their services. I checked out in a complex airplane with one of their CFI's and made a reservation for rental. When I got in the airplane for rental, the starter malfunctioned and the airplane was grounded. Rather than spend another $130 for a check in an unfamiliar make/model, a different CFI agreed to fly with me. My airplane orientation with this new CFI was none other than a commercial sight-seeing trip. He was pushy, unpleasant, and basically told me what I was to do. I am also a CFI and have not felt like I had less control of a flight since I was a beginning student. I would certainly not recommend Europe-American for flight instruction and would be skeptical of using their aircraft for rental. A quick side-note is a comment about their CFI named Carston. Carston was the CFI who originally gave me the complex airplane check. He was very helpful and my previous comments do not reflect his services.

Response from Bruce A Batelaan of Europe-American Aviation

As the CFI in question I feel compelled to reply. I remember this flight slightly different. Mr Salamone intended to take his mother up in an airplane for the first time. The checkout was scheduled in the Piper Arrow on the 27th Dec 04. Unfortunately the starter malfunctioned once he completed his checkout flight. He asked, but we could not rent him one of our new 172SP's due to no time in type. We mutually agreed on a sightseeing flight with no steep turns or stalls. Mr Salomone had no problems with this. Considering a young low time pilot (260 hrs, even with CFI) some instruction was in order. That seems almost obvious. Mr Salamone seemed to enjoy the flight and appreciate my instruction. Never at any time was there any hint of resentment. I owe Mr Salamone an apology if at any point I was rude, pushy and unpleasant, however that was not the case. I would have appreciated comments during or after the flight, not two weeks later on AirNav.com. To discourage renting from us and to discourage training with us based on one flight and issues is a little immature and frankly, reflects bad on Mr Salamone himself. I hope Mr Salamone has found a job flight instructing and has gained more insight in the workings of a flight school and understanding of checkout and rental requirements.

How does a CFI have no time in a 172? Thats mind boggling.

you don't fly outside of your aviation program that is all piper...

When I asked him if he had any C172 SP time he said NO, just like 1.5 hr 172 M long long time ago.
That doesn't fly (literally) for rental.
It took me a while to ge the reply on AIRNAV' because it was initially too long.
In the longer version it was a little more diplomatic but still the same message.
As a company you actually pay AIRNAV a subscription fee to be mentioned on their pages.
Cpompagnies that don't pay don't get mentioned and therefore don't get comments.
Small fee though.....

Definition of learning: ...' change in behaviour due to experience..'
and a swift kick in the beeeehind helps too.
This guy needs to come up with something reaaaaly cool to make up for this move...
generation X huh..

Metro752 said:
I'd also like to add, Airnav.com has been deleted and censoring a lot of the comments, and isn't very reliable anymore for this sort of information.

I tore into the FBO at Paducah for not having a crew car for the past 3+ years on AirNav. Shortly thereafter, it was deleted (as was the rest of the comments on the FBO) with a statement that said something to the effect of "they don't wish to be blasted anymore and have requested we not allow anymore postings". All they'd have to do is buy an old beater for crews to run into town to grab lunch with. What a bunch of Sally's.

xcr600 said:
This crap pisses me off, I have included a handy mailing list for anyone who would like to share this ebay listing or this flightinfo.com thread with this characters peers.

hey, don't worry...everyone and their mother is fully aware of what this kid did, including the entire staff at illinois. no need to plaster a bunch of emails here, esp. when a good deal of those people are administrative/secretarial types that wouldn't know an archer from a 747. i think it might be a good thing to edit your post.

Latest resources

Back