Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Champ42272

Better than a J-3 Cub
The FAA, led by former ALPA MEC Chairman Randy Babbitt, is looking to rewrite the flight time and duty day regulations for FAR 121 carriers.

My questions to this forum is, if you had the authority to write the regulation and implement new flight time and duty day rules, what would they look like.

For me, I would suggest no more than a 12 hour duty day (domestic), 14 hour (international), and current Ultra Long Haul rules, but keep the 8 hour flight time restriction for two pilot aircrews. Comments?

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Champ 42272

Remove the maximum 8 hours of flying and replace it with maximum 12 hour duty day and maximum landings of 5. Change the minimum rest to 10 hours and disallow travel local in nature to count for it. Use the average drive time to the hotel for additional duty day.

Minimum 12hrs rest between duty periods. Eliminate "reduced rest."

Maximum 2-man duty period = 14 hrs, no exceptions.

And, most importantly, keep it simple.

What is the railroad duty limits?
IIRC, they were a bit better than 121/135.

Maybe they will look like those.

Remove the maximum 8 hours of flying and replace it with maximum 12 hour duty day and maximum landings of 5. Change the minimum rest to 10 hours and disallow travel local in nature to count for it. Use the average drive time to the hotel for additional duty day.

fudging right!

Go to the ntsb website, they have some postings on what the europeans are doing with duty times. Basically, a graduated time limit depending on what times of day your duty period starts. And, a limit on legs tied to length of day and start time.

good and bad.

good this is getting some attention (and better working hours mean more flight crews to boot).

bad - some FAA guy and an ALPA duouchebag heading the reform?. I have no faith in a pairing like that to come up with anything less f'd up than we have now.

The 91K/135 standard of a maximum 14 hour duty day, followed by an non-reducible minimum rest of 10 hours.

I'd also support lifting the 8 hours/day rule all together, or at least raising it to 10 hours per duty period.

Domestic/Max duty: 10 hours with 4 leg max. Min rest 10 hours. Plain and simple.

Base flight time limit on actual time not scheduled (with slight allowance for overage due to wx only). No reduced rest. No standup overnights.

It's pretty sad when the FAA has to jump in and negotiate for you instead of a union.

Latest resources

Back