"New" Delta DC-9-50 in MSP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

I don't know what it's called, but I like the digital computer that shows you you're EPR setting, vs. the RAT gauge and reading through the reams of takeoff data and special procedures trying to figure out your reduced EPR setting for takeoff.

cliff
GRB

Hi!

I don't know what it's called, but I like the digital computer that shows you you're EPR setting, vs. the RAT gauge and reading through the reams of takeoff data and special procedures trying to figure out your reduced EPR setting for takeoff.

cliff
GRB

Cliff,

The TCI gives you your EPR. Takeoff Data Speed cards is like, "takeoff for dummies", can't be easier.
There is no "reams of takeoff data" that you refer to. Must be another 9 operator you refer to.

Cliff,

The TCI gives you your EPR. Takeoff Data Speed cards is like, "takeoff for dummies", can't be easier.
There is no "reams of takeoff data" that you refer to. Must be another 9 operator you refer to.

The training department at NWA has, at least for the last 8-10, lead the industry in many areas. The DC-9 program is maybe the "hardest" (now realize, non of them are too hard), due to lack of automation, NDB raw approaches, etc, but once you are done, it's a blast.

ALL the takeoff data, performance data is done in the most simple terms possible to lower the workload so you can concentrate on the external factors going on (taxiing, ATC, Deicing) I jumpseated home on an AA MD-80 and I swear to god the two pilots didn't stop briefing and doing redundant checklist for the whole 15 taxi. They said that they didn't like it either.

Hopefully DAL will adopt many NWA procedures that have worked well in the past, like no memory items, NASAP, simplified checklists.

Hoping for the best

Not sure if DAL will. See we are a very legal company. A few years ago adopted the Boeing philosophy, and will probably adopt the Airbus one too. See if we do it the manufacturer's way, then if something gets screwed up because of it, it is their fault and not ours! They get sued and not us. So I would venture to guess that we at DAL will always have some "Bold Faced" items that are backed up by a "Hard Card."

Hi!

Heyas,

I'll just pile on to what everyone else has said. Performace and NWA is as simple as they can possibly make it, even on the -9.

Put the runway into ACARS. Load info comes up, and then the performance info. It automatically uses the latest weather, and has everything you need to know. You can override the WX and put in your own winds or temp, or have it make adjustments for contaiminated runways.

Gives you flex (our version of reduced) thrust if it's appropriate and all the EPR settings. Speeds are on the card.

Need another runway? Or an intersection? Put in it the ACARS and it pops up. Landing data is the same way.

No memory items is the way to go. Why use a checklist for stuff you do every day, and then be expected to memorize stuff you use once a year?

Fly the airplane and don't hurry. What else do you need to know?

Nu

Too bad that the guys flying it are probably making 50 cents on the dollar that the guys who flew it away from the factory earned. Still better than letting them be replaced by jungle jets flown by Shaniqua though.

Latest resources

Back