• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

grog_sit_reserv

Crashcave Lounger
And finally....
13. Is the Rice Committee making progress?
Yes. The Rice Committee has continued to explore consensual solutions that will promote career advancement and protection for both pilot groups. The talks have centered on career advancement, furlough protection for all pilots, and the “durability” of any possible solution in another company transaction.
But as the committee reported earlier, any solutions must be based on facts. For example, since the award was issued, the company has recalled all furloughees, and a large number of AAA pilots decided not to return. That reduces the number of Captain years that East pilots earlier argued were sacrificed in the award.
Recent system bids have also altered the look of the airline by providing Captain awards to many pilots—including E-190 Captain slots to pilots back from furlough a few months ago. Even if a new contract were finished today, customary implementation delays would produce further attrition vacancies for East pilots. West pilot frustration with this fact has to be considered and balanced by considering growth opportunities that will occur over the reasonably foreseeable future. These facts shed light on and give hope that consensual solutions are possible, but both pilot groups must participate fully for that to happen.
That’s why the Rice Committee has asked East representatives to provide more information and to review earlier analyses of the level of protection they assert is needed to accomplish East career advancement objectives. These requests are being carried out by the East JNC. The Rice Committee has demanded that the Company provide information about its growth and expansion plans to help assess whether and what kind of measures might be appropriate. Management has indicated that this information would be available around October 1, so we expect to hear from them soon.
14. Do you need more information?
US Airways pilots and their families can and should participate in the industry recovery. All it takes is for both pilot groups to commit to Rice Committee discussions and for both groups to engage fully in joint negotiations that move US Airways pilots back to mainstream industry rates and contract terms.
If you need more information on any of the above subjects or issues, please e-mail ALPA at [email protected]. Please give a phone number at which you can be reached in case the information can be better provided that way.

Grog - but don't forget, you got a huge windfall.

I can't believe they're upgrading people who were on the street 2 yrs ago.

The junior west guys have been dealt the largest helping of sh^t in this deal and anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves.

It was an ALPA communique... but after only hearing USAPA guys for a while, its refreshing to finally get ALPA national's take on the situation.

They are about 150 cards short, this letter should take care of that problem nicely.

I don't believe their numbers on the cards, but it doesn't really matter. When it comes down to a vote, I still don't think it will pass. You won't get any of the AWA guys to vote to decertify, and there will be enough intelligent minds on the East side to keep USAPA from getting the majority they need.

Grog - but don't forget, you got a huge windfall.

I can't believe they're upgrading people who were on the street 2 yrs ago.

The junior west guys have been dealt the largest helping of sh^t in this deal and anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves.

I can't believe that either.....probably because it's not true.

So a guy furloughed twice (not me) and now facing a third furlough before Dave hasn't eaten enough sh^t? What sacrafices have you guys made....some stagnation? Doug says that's better than not having a job, which is what would have happened absent this merger.

No, its true. F'd guys can come back as 190 Captains and some have.

Also, I believe just over 100 guys got upgraded out east last bid.

Who is facing a third furlough? Certainly nobody at USAirways. We are now hiring off the street.

Why should he sacrifice anything? He was working at AWA and never intended to work at USAir. The sacrifices of the AAA pilots were because of YEARS of mismanagement and TWO, count 'em ONE... TWO... trips into Bankruptcy.

They sacrificed to save their own jobs. They did and now they got acquired... er merged. The 18 year fo on reserve in DCA is still on reserve, and the 4 year fo at AWA is still on reserve in PHX.

I'm willing to bet that at least 20% of the cards that were sent in, are from furloughee's. When these pilots sent in their cards, they all had recall rights. Now fast forward a few months and now they don't. When or if a representation vote is called for, USAPA will fall well short of the votes needed.

Time to move on.

Latest resources

Back