Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AKMD80GUY

Angle Lakes Bitch
I thought I'd start this with the intention of finding out what the rest of us Alaska types think of whats going on. I know that the company and management are in mediated discussions this week with all MEC officers in SEA for these meetings. From what I know the company has moved in our direction but cant say how far. Also was contacted by Wilson Polling today to give them my $.02. It seems as things are finally starting to move.

Talking to the person I know that's involved, the pay rates are close to what was sent to everyone's home that compared the unions and companies proposals. From what I was told, they aren't going to go for the throat on this because it will look unfavorably to the NMB and I agree with that. However it has nothing to do with the companies inability to pay a higher rate. They can and have all but admitted to that.

I also know that some furlough notices have be rescinded and more are to come. I believe that this has to do with the company realizing that they will have trouble staffing the summer schedule as well as being out of reserve pilots in certain bases (LAX).

I think G.S. was the main reason why talks stalled and why the NMB told the company that we would be released for self help by May. This is not speculation, it is fact that the NMB told the company this. I also think this is the reason G.S. was fired and B.T. promoted to President. If he wants us to believe anything he said in his letter to us or anything he may put out in the future, he should be taking the lead to get a contract signed.

The company and its pilots are at a crossroads now. There are a few that will still tow the company line, but those numbers are dwindling. Those of us that have many years left need to make sure our voices are heard. We may not be made whole this time around but we need a giant step in that direction.

Support our Negotiators and help them get what we have not only earned, but what was unjustly taken away by Kasher. We have been silently angry since May, 05. It is time to stop being silent.

From what I know the company has moved in our direction but cant say how far. Also was contacted by Wilson Polling today to give them my $.02. It seems as things are finally starting to move.

I think so, too.

Talking to the person I know that's involved, the pay rates are close to what was sent to everyone's home that compared the unions and companies proposals. From what I was told, they aren't going to go for the throat on this because it will look unfavorably to the NMB and I agree with that.

I would agree with that as well.

I also know that some furlough notices have be rescinded and more are to come. I believe that this has to do with the company realizing that they will have trouble staffing the summer schedule as well as being out of reserve pilots in certain bases (LAX).

Heck, they're cancelling flights out of LAX NOW due to lack of F/O reserve coverage. Summer is going to be bloody if they don't bring some if not all of those guys back. I'm pretty convince the need for furloughs was mere hostage taking.

...the NMB told the company that we would be released for self help by May. This is not speculation, it is fact that the NMB told the company this.

I've heard this as well. I didn't believe it, but obviously the mediator recognized the Company's negotiating tactic...stall. At any rate, if this is true, a big thank-you is owed to the mediator.

The company and its pilots are at a crossroads now. There are a few that will still tow the company line, but those numbers are dwindling. Those of us that have many years left need to make sure our voices are heard. We may not be made whole this time around but we need a giant step in that direction.

You may be surprised how few "toe" the line anymore. Not only are the F/Os radicalized, but most of the Capts (less the 2nd floor/training dept. types) are as well. And I'm also pretty sure that we're chapped enough to reject a CHAOS type strike and go straight to the mattresses.

And if that happens as Spring/Summer approach, it will be a disaster for the Anglers.

Support our Negotiators and help them get what we have not only earned, but what was unjustly taken away by Kasher. We have been silently angry since May, 05. It is time to stop being silent.

I agree, but we've got to be realistic. SWA or bust isn't going to fly. And a knee jerk "NO" vote without reading the entire TA just because we're pissed isn't the way to go either.

As you said, perhaps an incremental increase is better than the "nuclear option" of a strike. I've been on strike and it isn't an action to be taken lightly.

Crew planning today said that there was going to be a new bid out soon. She said it would most likely affect LAX crew numbers.

Also I thought the $$$ numbers that union sent out to us a few months ago was what they were asking for but some guys have been telling me that those numbers are the lowest we are going to talk? Did not make to much sence to me if we were going to show the C.O. how low we would go? Any one else think this or are those guys miss reading it?

Best to cool our heals until we see how much LUV gets.

I'm not a 100% sure, but I believe LUV's TA calls for a 3%/year pay increase for the term of the contract, 5 years. So at the end of the term, the senior captains should be making over $230/hour.

I am cautiously optimistic at this point, as the union stated. Just because the company finally decided to play by the rules should we fall for their dirty tactics. Yes, we cannot expect to get all of pre-Kasher back, but it better be damn close. No one wants to use the nuclear weapon but no backing down now; we've come too far! I'm sorry, but I don't trust anything that the company turds say or do.

We are losing the market everyday. Just look at what Allegiant is doing out of LAX. We should be flying those routes, but because of our company's arrogance we've lost out once again. A $ short and day late as always.

Wow I hope you mean the 12 year CA rate at 198hr Alpa was asking for and not the 159hr the company was offering… I was told we are in the 18-20% range for a CA and 25-28% range for the FO. They are probably using profit sharing to get to that number but I sure hope not.

Hopefully they just cancel the furlough and make all that madness go away but I wont hold my breath.

Sounds like maybe a TA to cry about by early next month.

Hopefully not talking about a merger days after that!

As to the SWA comment I can’t imagine we will be with in 20% their new proposal but I sure hope I am wrong! I think I heard they will top out around 235hr 12year CA at the end of it.

I also heard of a new bid. The way I think it will go down is that all of the CA's that were down graded will be hung out to dry on this next bid. All of the senior FO's that bypassed will now take the upgrade to have some seat protection in case of a merger.

This will set the company back because they will have to train from the beginning all these new CA's. Where as before all that would be needed was a 2 hour sim and SLF to get the down graded guys back up to speed in the left seat. I am sure they will ask the union for relief on this.

I was happy to see a bunch of new retirements. I moved up 47 numbers. The company is also going to be asking for more early outs but worth a better deal to the pilots retiring. Hopefully making them whole with their retirements by not taking a penalty.

As for retro pay, this is a must for a yes vote. I have heard anything from $12,000 for CA's and $6,000 for FO'c to $20,000 across the board. Since we all took basically the same amount in cash pay cut, we should all get the same amount in retro pay. If FO's are going to have to stay in the right seat for more years than before (career stagnation ), we should be able to get some compensation for that.

All told should be an interesting next couple of weeks.

As for retro pay, this is a must for a yes vote. I have heard anything from $12,000 for CA's and $6,000 for FO'c to $20,000 across the board. Since we all took basically the same amount in cash pay cut, we should all get the same amount in retro pay. If FO's are going to have to stay in the right seat for more years than before (career stagnation ), we should be able to get some compensation for that.

$6k would be a slap in the face. Agreed that retro is a must for a yes vote. I'll also vote down anything that gives the company the ability to build 90 hour lines.

I agree with Ih8 that I don't trust these guys one bit and I personally think this is their way of stringing us along. They act like they're bargaining in good faith, show a little movement our direction just so the NMB can't declare an impasse. Hopefully the mediator is as smart as people say he is and won't fall for it if that is indeed management's tactic.

I'm not cautiously anything right now. I'll wait for a TA, read it thoroughly and vote, or I'll be voting for a strike if we get released.

It's also very true about few towing the company line anymore. I haven't flown with one guy lately that made me question whether or not they'd strike if it comes to that.

You guys are scaring me.

The only way that we will not get the pay rates the union is asking for is if the company can break a strike. Period. The NMB has made it clear that we will be released and soon.
Does the company have scabs lined up?
Do you really think they will shut the company down for months to break a strike?
This is a profitable company.
It is going to be even more profitable as it gets out from under MD-80 leases and now has a single type fleet. The fuel hedges they purchased at 70 and 80 dollars a barrel were put options, not swaps. That means they can walk away from those positions without having to take delivery like Southwest and others do. HUGE advantage.
But that's fine you live in Seatlle, you should be willing to work for less. How about we just average what everybody else makes and take that? Sound good?

I think G.S. was the main reason why talks stalled and why the NMB told the company that we would be released for self help by May. This is not speculation, it is fact that the NMB told the company this. I also think this is the reason G.S. was fired and B.T. promoted to President. If he wants us to believe anything he said in his letter to us or anything he may put out in the future, he should be taking the lead to get a contract signed.

I honestly believe G.S. was a huge impediment to our contract but the buck stopped with B.Ayers. The reason I heard G.S. was booted was because he is an unethical S.O.B. He got caught with his hand in the cookie jar in regards to Row 44. Seemed he was trying to line his greedy pockets with unethical stock purchases and insider info. But, you just can't fire a guy who has so much insider knowledge of our company without ramifications so he was given a nice package and an agreement that he would say no bad about the airline in return for the same towards him. I may be wrong about this but it seems the shoe fits.

Latest resources

Back